Houston
Sponsored by

How accurate is Google Maps travel times?

4,029 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AJ02
johnrth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm thinking of putting my resume in for a job in Baytown and I live in The Woodlands. I was playing around with google maps looking at travel times and it doesn't seem too bad. Its saying around an hr in the mornings and an hr to an hr and half in the afternoons. Obviously this can all change if there is an accident of some sort but I'm just trying to see if the travel times are accurate. I've never had to commute more than 25mins to work so its all new to me. Would you do that commute for job that offers about $10k more a yr + company truck?
agdaddy04
AG
I wouldn't think $10k would be enough for that type of commute. What % increase would that be for you?
agdaddy04
AG
Definitely didn't mean that icon!
rilloaggie
AG
$10k / 250 working days X 2.5 hours a day = $16 an hour. Seems like a crappy idea to me.
johnrth
agdaddy04 said:

I wouldn't think $10k would be enough for that type of commute. What % increase would that be for you?
It would be about a 23% increase. Like I said too, I would get a company truck as well.
Liquid Wrench
Google travel times usually have a wide variable in either direction. If you can, just make the drive during a regular commute time and see if you think you can do it every day.
agdaddy04
AG
Do they also pay for gas for the commute?
Zemira
AG
So real-time Google travel times are accurate unless an accident. I would assume their estimates for future dates would be fairly close.

I wouldn't drive that far unless you are getting like 25% salary increase plus other better benefits.

Edit:

Also at a previous job our office moved. My 15 mile 25 minute commute morphed into a 30 mile 1 hour commute with tolls. After 3 months I decided I had to move or get a new job. I moved as I liked the job. You really don't want to commute more than a half hour because it sucks. That's hours you loose every day in your car.
drumboy
AG
I've done an hour commute. I'd be looking at houses in crosby or deer park.
Panama Red
AG
Don't trust google maps on this. Talk to the people that make that commute. They will tell you its 30-40 minutes.
OnlyForNow
AG
Can you go in by 7 and leave by 4? That's make it better. And in 3 years when the toll road is finished you're set and will be able to fly down there.

Althernatively, move to deer park and rent out your house in the woodlands until the GP is finished then move back?
zgood10
AG
Waze
sts7049
AG
google's pretty good at estimating this stuff.

an hour or more commute will get miserable, fast.
South Platte
After you get to the beltway you are going against the flow of traffic. An hour to work isn't that bad, and it's usually 10 minutes less on the drive home. It's Houston, an hour is nothing.
Your Friend
Being issued a company vehicle is like winning the lottery. Do what you have to do
TXAG14
My dad commutes to the Exxon campus in Spring from Baytown and that sounds about right on travel times.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Try this: wake up an hour earlier and punch yourself in the dick. Do this ever day for a week and tell us whether a truck and ten k are worth it.
TommyGun
AG
I live in Spring and travel to Baytown at least once a week. It's a solid hour even in the best traffic conditions. The Hardy down to 610 is pretty reliable or you can jump on the Beltway and go around to I-10. Road construction and accidents will obviously set you back and you can probably count on a few of those each week.

If I had to commute it everyday then I'd be looking to move to the area. Mont Belvieu, League City, or the Summerwood area would be my picks if you don't want to live in Baytown proper.
DrZ
AG
What is your current commute. It certainly isn't zero
johnrth
Current commute is back to 20-25mins. Was 7mins which was really nice, but we just moved offices so back to a longer one.
IDaggie06
AG
That would only be worth doing if you had high confidence it would soon (within 24 months) lead to a promotion or give you experience to find a better job. If it is a lateral move with little chance of promotion, no way that commute would be worth that increase unless you are in debt and strongly need the money.
GrayMatter
AG
From 25 mins to 1hr+? I don't think I'd entertain the idea for anything less than 30% of my salary.

I commuted for 1 hr+ (driving mostly along the tollway) for about 6 months and it took a toll on me; I was very cranky after getting home and dreaded the commute on Monday morning.
OldAg1997
AG
That drive will suck until they finish 99, whenever that will be. I currently drive about 45 minutes into Mont Belvieu from Clear Lake. It isn't a terrible drive early in the morning, but it is about an hour and a half (round trip) of my day that I can't get back.
chico
AG
rilloaggie said:

$10k / 250 working days X 2.5 hours a day = $16 an hour. Seems like a crappy idea to me.
2.5hrs/day to commute x 250 working days/year = 625 hours/year = 78 full 8-hour days or almost an entire 2 weeks' vacation spent driving in your truck.
So if you're happy spending the equivalent of 78 working days/year driving around the city then go for it. I'd never do a commute like that however. Life is too short.
OnlyForNow
AG
Take out his current commute.
Texan_Aggie
AG
You make $43k per year?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
commute time is dependent on the time of day you will be traveling.
Win At Life
AG
You need to Google traffic map your drive in the direction you'll be going at the times you'll be doing it. Google adjusts for real-time conditions, so you can't just check it one-and-done.
HoustonAg12
AG
I was in almost your exact same position two years ago. Was at a 5 min commute, then married and moved out to a 25 minute commute, then took a new job with an hour there and 1.5 hours back.

The driving sucks, gets old and leaves you wishing you had that time back to do other things.

However I took it because it was a $35k pay increase plus tolls paid for...and even then I'm still wishing I had that time back
Always_Right
AG
johnrth said:

agdaddy04 said:

It would be about a 23% increase. Like I said too, I would get a company truck as well.
lolpoor
GoneGirl
AG
I live in Summerwood and worked in Baytown for about 9.5 years. It's lying.

It would take me 30-45 minutes to get to work in the morning, and about 45 min to an hour to get home in the evenings. If traffic is bad, it could add an extra 15-20 minutes.

I know it takes about 45 minutes to get from Summerwood to the Woodlands - when traffic isn't heavy.
You're going to get really tied up on I-10 in Baytown, around Wallisville Rd, and over near IAH (IAH being much worse). The traffic getting out of Baytown is also crazy at Spur 3300 and I-10.

I work over near West U now, and some days it's faster to get home than Baytown was.

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Foamcows
AG
Umm. Aren't they about to dig up most of downtown and create a many year long traffic jam?
johnrth
Great_I_Am said:

johnrth said:

agdaddy04 said:

lolpoor

I have no shame in being an lolpoor. I'm not expecting to make 100k plus without a college degree, and im sure as hell not going to go into the oil field knowing that at any down turn my job could be on the line. I don't need fancy things or to keep up with the Joneses nextdoor.
88jrt06
AG
Great_I_Am said:

johnrth said:

agdaddy04 said:

lolpoor

lol arshole!
gif
Is $10k + company truck worth the extra time + extra gas + tolls? Will they be paying gas and tolls? How much will you profit after everything is taken out of your check?

Also, do you have kids/family that is important for you to see?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.