Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Pilot's License

6,139 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MaroonDontRun
fire09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd be happy to share my expenses with you so you can get a feel for true cost of ownership. Mooney definitely gives one of the best $$/nm but maintenance is a ***** compared to a piper or Cessna. I used to own a Cherokee C and had to adjust to the AD's, gear mx, and other bull**** that comes with mooney ownership. Definitely worth it though.
jonj101
I've never done it, but some pilots that I met that fly for a major airline recommended Debby Rihn at H&R Aviation in La Porte.

I'm not sure how packed they would be compared to the other schools.
ballchain
BBRex
AG
third coast.. said:

Need 1080 sea days to even be eligible to become a Houston pilot buddy. Trust me, I just applied. #realpilots

What's the minimum license requirements? Something unlimited tonnage, I'd think.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I found out recently my next door neighbor is an unlimited master mariner. I thought that was pretty interesting.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Oceaneering
Ducks4brkfast
AG
you'd prolly meet him if i could ever pull off a bourbon soiree at the house
Post removed:
by user
The Kraken
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

I did.

Selling your Mooney?

Trade-a-plane
Whoop Delecto
AG
bigtruckguy3500
Anyone know how the Navy's pilot pipeline works? API, primary, and all that? How does that translate into the civilian side as far as skipping part of ground school and working towards a private pilot's licence?
coconutED
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Anyone know how the Navy's pilot pipeline works? API, primary, and all that? How does that translate into the civilian side as far as skipping part of ground school and working towards a private pilot's licence?
No idea how Navy training works, but once you get your wings, take the appropriate FAA military competency written test, then take the results and your flight records to any flight standards office or examiner and they will issue you a commercial license.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but i just saw this.

Yes I was going to sell it because the wife expressed an interest in flying and the manually actuated Johnson Bar gear extension takes a little effort to manipulate (it's really only difficult if let the airspeed climb too high before retraction).

I had actually agreed to purchase another Mooney that had automatic gear actuation but when I really started contemplating selling mine I just couldn't part with it because it is in such good shape. Since then I have started allowing my wife to operate the gear and I think she'll be able to make due if and when she ever decides she wants to learn how to fly.

I'm still loving my Mooney.
fire09
AG
Mooneys are great until annual.
MaroonDontRun
AG
That is yet another reason I like having manually actuated landing gear and hydraulic flaps. These systems are really simple and don't require much maintenance.

I have been fortunate so far as my annuals are less than $1,000. Of course I know there will be maintenance squawks that have to looked after but knock on wood so far.
Jaydoug
AG
I flew the Texas A&M Flying Club Mooney a lot in college. We called it the Whopper Box because of the burger king colors. Loved flying that airplane. Flew it over the Branch Davidian compound after it had burnt to the ground.

Was sad to hear that someone geared-up it at Easterwood a few years after I had graduated.

MaroonDontRun
AG
I think one of my instructors told me they came in at night and stalled it above the runway. No fatalities but there were injuries.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.