Houston
Sponsored by

PMP Boot Camps in Houston

4,915 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any good experiences with any of the 35+hr courses around the Tine?
Texaggie7nine
PMPn ain't easy..
7nine
Post removed:
by user
crockerdan04
AG
I was doing research on this a few months ago.

Project Management Training Institute looked to me to be the best value at $1890. That cost includes 53 extra hours of professional development units (PDUs) via online modules you can take later. You can use those for your CE credits later.

PM Study was another one. They offered 30 additional PDUs for the same price. They did not include the latest edition of the PMBok though.

I would stay with a PMI registered R.E.P. company. That would lend more credibility to their program.

We ended up going with a company called GreyCampus. They are coming to our office in a few weeks to do on-site classroom training for $1299.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Thanks for the helpful input guys, appreciate it
Jack Cheese
AG
What industry is PMP most useful for? I work in software development and rarely come across PMP credentialed vendors or coworkers but occasionally I do.
schmellba99
AG
Jack Cheese said:

What industry is PMP most useful for? I work in software development and rarely come across PMP credentialed vendors or coworkers but occasionally I do.
I see it a lot in construction, mostly associated with the petrochem and .gov industries. You see it fairly common on the Owner side of both of those as well. I think it's working its way into the municpal and commercial construciton sector, but there are other designations that also have good footholds (DBIA, CCM, LEED, etc.).

PMP is an ISO certification so it's generally geared more towards the petrochem market in my experience.
Waltonloads08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

PMPn ain't easy..

But it's necessary
bjork
schmellba99 said:

Jack Cheese said:

I see it a lot in construction, mostly associated with the petrochem and .gov industries. You see it fairly common on the Owner side of both of those as well. I think it's working its way into the municpal and commercial construciton sector, but there are other designations that also have good footholds (DBIA, CCM, LEED, etc.).

PMP is an ISO certification so it's generally geared more towards the petrochem market in my experience.
PMI's program is ISO 9001 certified.

To my knowledge, none of PMI's certifications, including PMP, are related to ISO. ISO is content included within the exam. But so are many other quality methodologies.
SJEAg
AG
Doing PMP felt a lot like a freshman college course. Wasn't hard in regards to understanding concepts...it just involved a lot of reading, memorization, and practice questions. I took a 4 day boot camp (CTREC, which may not even still exist), then studied on my own on weekends for a few months. Passed easily. I am in IT...don't think I've actually benefited from the knowledge, but its given me opportunities.

schmellba99
AG
bjork said:

schmellba99 said:

Jack Cheese said:

PMI's program is ISO 9001 certified.

To my knowledge, none of PMI's certifications, including PMP, are related to ISO. ISO is content included within the exam. But so are many other quality methodologies.
Ahh, correct. I can't remember all of the details on all of the different designations. My certificate from one of my training classes shows ANSI Standard PMI 99-001-2001, but I'll be honest - I don't know what that means (if anything).
drumboy
AG
Jack Cheese said:

I'm in the same industry (SW Dev) and maybe half of our BA's are PMP certified.

Like the MS certs that I have, they're more beneficial for opening doors.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I'm in O&G. Took a promotion into a PM role (eng background). The role requires a PMP so I agreed to get my cert in exchange
BrianJ844
I am in the same boat Dill-Ag13. I haven't looked into any in person PMP-prep classes but am going through the PMP Exam Prep Seminar on udemy.com. It is by Joseph Phillips and counts for the 35 contact hours that you need to sit for the exam. I figured the video course isn't as good as an in person one but is only $20 so worth a try. I am liking it so far!

My office also did a Project Management Essentials Course for a few of us a few months ago. It was taught in person by New Horizons at their center near the Galleria. It gave a good foundation of everything that is in the PMP but wasn't geared toward the exam.

Good luck!
Brian
schmellba99
AG
BrianJ844 said:

I am in the same boat Dill-Ag13. I haven't looked into any in person PMP-prep classes but am going through the PMP Exam Prep Seminar on udemy.com. It is by Joseph Phillips and counts for the 35 contact hours that you need to sit for the exam. I figured the video course isn't as good as an in person one but is only $20 so worth a try. I am liking it so far!

My office also did a Project Management Essentials Course for a few of us a few months ago. It was taught in person by New Horizons at their center near the Galleria. It gave a good foundation of everything that is in the PMP but wasn't geared toward the exam.

Good luck!
Brian
This is relevant to my interests. I will have to look it up, for $20 it's silly not to.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Awesome that same course is now only $9.99, I'll do that as an intro. I've decided on either the Project Management Academy or EdWel for the 4-day class.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Update: I'm now a PiMP!

Some feedback if anyone is interested:

I did the Joseph Phillips Udemy course recommended above during the month of October and found it to be great, it was a great way to learn terms, charts, and a high-level view of the processes.

Then last week I did the Project Management Academy (PMA) 4-day boot camp and found that was a great way to just brain-load on the processes and overall flow.

I did the PMA 5th day add-on last Friday and would not recommend it, waste of time.

Then over the weekend I took 3 practice tests (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and on Monday I took the exam up at the Prometric test center in A&M's GSC building and passed. Exam sucked, I felt good about it when I hit submit, but I needed all the hours of studying for it. They test on 200 questions but throw out a pre-determined and unknown 25 questions so you are graded on 175 questions. For most of the questions you can easily eliminate 2 answers, for about 30 of them all 4 answers seemed correct/mostly and I had to make my best guess. I used up 3hrs40 minutes of my 4hr allotment.

GLAD IT'S OVER!
schmellba99
AG
I'm taking my test this Monday, going through the course again this week and will be taking some practice tests and cramming this weekend.

I'm kind of a dumbass for scheduling my exam during hunting season, but i wanted to get it over with. I've only been talking about it for 16 friggin years now.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Get it done, I wanted mine done before Thanksgiving week.
schmellba99
AG
Is this test heavily dependent on memorizing how many inputs or outputs are involved in X process? Because if it is, I'm wasting my time right now. I don't memorize things well, which is why I write stuff down so i can reference it. This test seems like it is a whole lot of memorizing and since you can't bring any materials with you, I'm nervous as hell that i just wasted $400 and several hours on this test.
RangerRick9211
AG
Unfortunately, yes. It's less a test of PM'ing and more memorizing PMBOK.

My bootcamp had a chart you memorized and "brain dumped" on your scratch paper the few minutes prior to starting.
schmellba99
AG
***** That is just something I'm not good at, i'm not wired to memorize well, especially a huge amount of information like that.

I've always thought that the idea you need to memorize things is stupid, especially when in the real world you have the information available to reference. You are better off learning how to access or use the information than trying to memorize crap you will never use again.
schmellba99
AG
Well, that was a beetch. But glad it is over. Apparently I am a PiMP now too.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Did any of you ever look at rice's training for PMP?

http://glasscock.rice.edu/courses/project-management-professional

Dill-Ag13
AG
No I wanted to do it in 1 week not spread out over 12
Dill-Ag13
AG
schmellba99 said:

Well, that was a beetch. But glad it is over. Apparently I am a PiMP now too.

Congrats!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.