Houston
Sponsored by

Does this seem like a great location for yet another food hall?

3,438 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Satellite of Love
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be shocked if this ever gets built.

Quote:

THE OWNERS of the 22,860-sq.-ft. warehouse at the bend where Wash Ave becomes Hempstead Rd. have plans to refashion the building as Houston's latest food hall, complete with 25-plus restaurant tenants, a few grocery and trinket vendors, and an adjacent beer garden all fronting 22,000-sq.-ft.-worth of park space. Aside from homonymous salad bar concept Let Us, no specific tenants have been announced for the space yet formerly home to the Emmett Perry oriental rug store and Sugar Creek Interiors' design studio. But the developer hints that most food stalls at Railway Heights will be of the fresh-never-frozen variety, staffed by "the farmer who reared the animal, the fisherman who caught the fish, the baker who baked the bread."

http://swamplot.com/meet-railway-heights-the-new-wash-ave-food-hall-and-beer-garden-with-a-600-car-automated-garage-out-back/2018-07-19/
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

staffed by "the farmer who reared the animal, the fisherman who caught the fish, the baker who baked the bread."
OK.

This whole concept sounds like Trading Fair II for white kids.
Diggity
AG
somehow calls this to mind

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Diggity said:

Quote:

THE OWNERS of the 22,860-sq.-ft. warehouse at the bend where Wash Ave becomes Hempstead Rd. have plans to refashion the building as Houston's latest food hall, complete with 25-plus restaurant tenants, a few grocery and trinket vendors, and an adjacent beer garden all fronting 22,000-sq.-ft.-worth of park space. Aside from homonymous salad bar concept Let Us, no specific tenants have been announced for the space yet formerly home to the Emmett Perry oriental rug store and Sugar Creek Interiors' design studio. But the developer hints that most food stalls at Railway Heights will be of the fresh-never-frozen variety, staffed by "the farmer who reared the animal, the fisherman who caught the fish, the baker who baked the bread."

http://swamplot.com/meet-railway-heights-the-new-wash-ave-food-hall-and-beer-garden-with-a-600-car-automated-garage-out-back/2018-07-19/

What do you mean "another food hall?" There are others?
Jackal99
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

staffed by "the farmer who reared the animal, the fisherman who caught the fish, the baker who baked the bread."
OK.

F***ing hipsters...
Diggity
AG
There's about 10 slated for downtown. I think only one or two have opened yet.
Liquid Wrench
I'm trying to imagine the farmer who has time to be his own meat processor, butcher, and vendor in a stall down in Houston.
drumboy
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Diggity said:

Quote:

What do you mean "another food hall?" There are others?
Conservatory downtown is pretty cool. Decent food, good wifi and cheap beer for that afternoons working remotely.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Diggity
AG
The happy hour at the beer place is pretty great.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Well ****, I guess that's what happens when you move to the burbs and quit paying attention.
Diggity
AG
to be fair...Conservatory is pretty small and the bigger food halls haven't opened up yet.

The Lyric Center one is supposed to be 30,000 sqft.
drumboy
AG
What about the one in the old Chase building bank lobby? That is such a cool space, it should do well if it ever opens.
Well, this is an existing building, and they already have at least 25% of it pre-leased. I'd rather have this than an old abandoned warehouse that's being used as a homeless camp.
The Milkman
AG
Diggity said:

The happy hour at the beer place is pretty great.

A few of their strongest beers at $4 a pop is a helluva pregame spot too before Stros games
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Diggity said:

There's about 10 slated for downtown. I think only one or two have opened yet.
but do those have a neighborhood being built right next to them?

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2963059
Diggity
AG
We'll see but I don't picture Hempstead Highway becoming a destination for hipsters but you never know.
Liquid Wrench
Idk, what we call hipster stuff is basically yuppy stuff now. Unless population growth drops off (which would be fine with me), the westward spread across the loop seems inevitable. I don't read all the housing data you do, but to amateur eyes it looks like there's a lot of new activity otl and south of Hempstead hwy.

*That said, the dude quoted in the article sounds like a dufus.
Diggity
AG
Just seems like a place where you need a ton of customers day in day out.

We'll see how it goes.
Alex Bregman
AG
That whole area west/south of Timbergrove is quickly becoming townhome city. I'm sure some big apartments will follow as well. It will densify quite a bit in the future.

Access to this will be weird. That interchange is awkward.
Texaggie7nine
I'd give my left nut if we could have something like the Mercado san Miguel in Madrid Spain. Europe spoils you on food court type places.
7nine
HvilleAggie
AG
RIP Boneyard
JJxvi
AG
It seems like a good location for a beer garden at least...
Mustang1
AG
drumboy said:

What about the one in the old Chase building bank lobby? That is such a cool space, it should do well if it ever opens.
Finn Hall I think. Allegedly opening by end of summer.
chimpanzee
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

OK.

You know, this whole modern commerce thing is the dregs, why stop there, I'm opening an urban subsistence farm concept in Galena Park.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Idk, what we call hipster stuff is basically yuppy stuff now. Unless population growth drops off (which would be fine with me), the westward spread across the loop seems inevitable. I don't read all the housing data you do, but to amateur eyes it looks like there's a lot of new activity otl and south of Hempstead hwy.

*That said, the dude quoted in the article sounds like a dufus.

I don't profess to be an expert but my wife had a meeting at Hines this week regarding her company taking down townhome lots and building **** that starts at $750K in Somerset Green along with Toll Brothers and I forget what other builders. And that's right across the street from this food hall.

The wife said they expect most of their homes to be over a million. That's a lot of scratch for a townhome in Houston IMHO but I'm not the one making the call. I don't think those buyers fall into the hipster set but they're definitely yuppy and in Houston I think even the yuppies trend toward hitting these types of places.
JJxvi
AG
Somerset Green is probably 400 ft or less from lot line to lot line to this place. Unfortunately, to actually get between those two points is a mile and a half drive.
Diggity
AG
interesting...didn't know they were looking for additional builders.

I think Pelican and Coventry are the other two. Heard it was slow going there.
Liquid Wrench
Diggity said:

This reminds me, have you ever looked at old ads for Westbury Square in the 60's or 70's? They actually had a candlemaker shop, cheese shop, etc. Kind of interesting to see an old strategy rolling back around, but on a larger, less personal scale.
Jackal99
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Diggity said:

This reminds me, have you ever looked at old ads for Westbury Square in the 60's or 70's? They actually had a candlemaker shop, cheese shop, etc. Kind of interesting to see an old strategy rolling back around, but on a larger, less personal scale.

Don't forget about Roy's Collectors' Showcase. They were always ahead of the game on the newest issues of all your favorite DC and Marvel titles, and had some sweet D&D choices. Or so I heard from a dude who lived near there. Oy oy.
AgLA06
AG
I'm trying to figure out where Washington and Hempstead might meet. Are they talking about Wescott and Hempstead somewhere between TexDOT and the old Baker Concrete yard?
Liquid Wrench
Washington splits. Going West it becomes Katy Rd, going North it becomes Hempstead. This is on the right side of Hempstead if you're going North from the fork.
Diggity
AG
Chronicle trolling TexAgs for story ideas?

Can Houston support Railway Heights Market, too?

JJxvi
AG
AgLA06 said:

I'm trying to figure out where Washington and Hempstead might meet. Are they talking about Wescott and Hempstead somewhere between TexDOT and the old Baker Concrete yard?

The street is not Westcott north of I-10. Westcott is a one way southbound street** from I-10 to the roundabout and a blvd with a median from the roundabout to Memorial Dr. The location of this place is the road you are talking about near Baker Concrete and TXDOT, but it's name there is Washington Ave

(** sort of, it's tecnically a blvd in this area also but you drive the wrong way on the left side and the other half is two way..)
Satellite of Love
Diggity said:

Chronicle trolling TexAgs for story ideas?

Can Houston support Railway Heights Market, too?

"Railway Heights?"
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.