Houston
Sponsored by

Reco: Wireless Plans

1,030 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Southpaw 07
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi All,

I have 2 unlocked iPhones, and I am currently with AT&T playing WAY too much for just 2 lines (aweful, really).

Any recommendations on who you use, your monthly charge, data, etc?

Cricket has a Bring Your Own Phone plan for 2 lines for $80/mo for unlimited data; but reviews online say the data is a tad slower than I may be used to, and that call quality on the other end may suffer just a little.

Anyone used them before?

Who else would you reommend? I am trying to get my bill under $100 for 2 lines, at least. And with AT&T they charge a stupid $20 per phone connecting fee, etc. Average bill with them the last few months has been $124 (includes insurance though).

Thanks In Advance (TIA)
KDubAg
AG
From past research bc I was looking at it one time...

You seem correct about the Cricket stuff, but people seemed satisfied with them even people on the Nerdy board here. Apparently Cricket uses the same towers as ATT so coverage should be the same. I think, like you said, Cricket throttles down the data speed, bc of the price. I never made the jump though and still use ATT.

Sorry I couldn't provide any suggestions really, but will be watching this.
drumboy
AG
I use Cricket and I just went from the 8GB plan to unlimited and it's $50 flat a month. Speeds are 3mb down I believe and it's not any worse than what I remember from AT&T. For $5 more a month you can get non-throttled DL speeds.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I just ran a speedtest on my mobile with WIFI shutoff and on the ATT network I recieved:

14.95 Mbps download
0.5 Mbps upload
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I may have to try this one:

Quote:

Download speeds max of 8Mbps (LTE)/4Mbps (4G) for all data plans except the Unlimited plan. The Unlimited plan offers data speeds max of 3Mbps; video streaming at SD quality (about 480p).

I found the fine print... the unlimited plan throttles to 3 Mbps; all the others are 8 Mbps

My wife and I rarely go over 4 GB per month combined; so I think we're good here.
KDubAg
AG

Quote:

My wife and I rarely go over 4 GB per month combined; so I think we're good here.

My wife uses over 10 GB, up to 14GB sometimes by herself...
Diggity
AG
she must be hooked on that 'gram.
drumboy
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I may have to try this one:

Quote:

Download speeds max of 8Mbps (LTE)/4Mbps (4G) for all data plans except the Unlimited plan. The Unlimited plan offers data speeds max of 3Mbps; video streaming at SD quality (about 480p).

I found the fine print... the unlimited plan throttles to 3 Mbps; all the others are 8 Mbps

The price you pay will be $5 off those prices if you're on autopay.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Diggity said:

she must be hooked on that 'gram.
Jesus; if she's on iPhone tell her:
  • Turn off Wifi Assist - which boosts her wifi using her CELL DATA (NO!!!!)
  • Check her location settings; my phone was eating up data for 2-3 months and I found it was because my location settings were mostyl set to "Always on" instead "Only while using app"... This took me from 5-6 GB to 1.7 GB in a month...
sts7049
AG
ditch the iPhone and switch to project fi. much cheaper.
KDubAg
AG
I'll check her WiFi assist when she gets home.

Her problem is turning off the WiFi sometimes when she's at work bc it's slow. But forgets to turn it back on all week or longer.
David_Puddy
AG
sts7049 said:

Then he'd have green texts.....to hell with that
SpreadsheetAg
AG
sts7049 said:

Nope; my life is on this Apple tech... i don't want to learn new hardware / apps / technology - I am a 65 year old in a slightly overweight 37 year old's body
HBCanine08
AG
Are you switching from Motorola to a PrimeCo phone?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
David_Puddy said:

sts7049 said:

Then he'd have green texts.....to hell with that
Probably a nerdery question, but is there a way to change the color of received texts from green?
strohag
AG
Think I'm about to switch to T-Mobile. AT&T sucks in my hood and I'm in need of some new phones.
Southpaw 07
AG
If you're already subscribed to a Comcast product, check out Xfinity Wireless. Runs on the Verizon network.

No line access fee, unlimited talk and text, $12/gb for combined data (postpaid) or $45/line unlimited. We switched just under a month ago from Verizon so I don't yet have a total bill to weigh in on taxes and fees.
Boats and Hose
AG
How are y'all liking it? We're considering switching from AT&T to Xfinity Wireless and I'm curious to know what you think of it from a performance standpoint.
killbutchereat
At&t prepaid. 8 gigs for $43/month
Southpaw 07
AG
The quality has been exactly the same as with Verizon. I haven't noticed any difference in service/call quality. Aside from the disclaimer that I've only been using the service for 3 weeks, I have no reservations recommending them.

I did some reading on Reddit and elsewhere before making the switch. Most of the complaints seemed to be related to making the switch, not with the service. We use very little data (2-3 gb/mo) so it was worth the gamble to me to save $50+ per month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.