Houston
Sponsored by

Flood Mitigation Projects?

9,162 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there any significant projects going on to mitigate flooding in Harris County that I am missing? From my perspective, there seems to be a lot of talk and very little action. Buying a few properties isn't going to do much except create a few winners. I was looking at Cypress Creek today and the creek hasn't even been cleared of debris. Are there projects going on that create capacity to get water out?

DC is bragging about their flooding project and the huge tunnel boring machines for their project to get water out. I didn't even know DC had a flooding problem like ours. Is there something going on like this in Harris County that I don't know about?

Cromagnum
AG
The only thing I've seen continue to happen is to build subdivisions in flood planes, and plans for new highway construction at ground level. Oh wait, you were asking about projects that would help the issues.
lunchbox
It's not much but I work right next to a flood basin and since Harvey they have been digging more dirt out to make room for more water.

But county-wide? I haven't heard of anything.
sts7049
AG
the astrodome is being turned into a giant retention pond
Bondag
AG
If you could dig like that in Houston we would have an elaborate subway system that got you from your flooded house in the burbs to downtown in 20 minutes.

The cost and time to do that and the land required would be astronomical
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Cromagnum said:

The only thing I've seen continue to happen is to build subdivisions in flood planes, and plans for new highway construction at ground level. Oh wait, you were asking about projects that would help the issues.

This is the problem, plus the fact that the entire area is flat. Unless Houston decides to buy out one third of the city for detention basins you're not going to solve the flooding problems.
Bigballin
AG
Houston is full. Move to El Paso
Bondag
AG
And flood mitigation projects only work if it rains where those projects are.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Add in houston is built on a swamp
schmendeler
AG
I'd be relatively happy if they just cleared out the debris from the last flood before the next one comes and is even worse because they didn't do **** to fix it.
Cromagnum
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Add in houston is built on a swamp

(removed:110205)
Project Brays is nearing completion for the expansion of Brays Bayou. Much more capacity in that watershed now.

The reservoirs like Addickes are proposed to be deepened.

The canal to eliminate the bottleneck of floodwater on Buffalo Bayou near downtown is back on the drawing board. Hope it happens.

Agasaurus Tex
AG
Deepening Addicks and Barker does no good unless you lower the outlet channels that flow into Buffalo Bayou. Then you need to lower (and probably widen) the bayou all the way to the bay. It's a hopeless battle against flat land and gravity. And do I even need to mention that such an incredibly expensive construction project would require federal dollars. Good luck getting that in the budget. The Ike Dike to protect all the petrochemical plants along the ship channel is much more important from a national standpoint.
bkag9824
AG
They're expanding the bayou along N/S Braeswood.

As if that'll actually help...
AlaskanAg99
AG
It depends on where you are. Harris County Flood Control covers all the main watersheds and channels.

https://www.hcfcd.org

The problem is getting funding. There aren't emergency project funds just laying around for drastic quick improvements. On the linked site you can view their existing capital improvement plans.

There is a 2018 Bond proposal going on the Aug ballot for improvements linked to Harvey. That's also on the website. $2.5 Billion for flood drainage improvements. This inscludes subdivision drainage improvements to get water to expanded and cleared channels to move it downstream. Big and expensive. If Havery hut again, you'd see the same flooding because no system can handle that amount of rainfall with our terrain.

This is basically the big project you're looking for.

Then there's the Army Corps of Engineers. They will be working on the Barker and Addicks Reservoirs and hopefully building a 3rd.

The County has also passed new regulations which makes it more expensive to build in the 100yr to discourage it and to save property. In addition to strengthening building code for the 500year flood plain.

And then there's the buyouts, which is a long slow process to reclaim land in the most flood prone areas.

FEMA will also be redrawing the 100yr flood plain maps, but that is a years long process. In short they will expand and people with federally backed mortgages will be required to purchase flood insurance.
CDUB98
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

Deepening Addicks and Barker does no good unless you lower the outlet channels that flow into Buffalo Bayou. Then you need to lower (and probably widen) the bayou all the way to the bay. It's a hopeless battle against flat land and gravity. And do I even need to mention that such an incredibly expensive construction project would require federal dollars. Good luck getting that in the budget. The Ike Dike to protect all the petrochemical plants along the ship channel is much more important from a national standpoint.

THIS
drumboy
AG
From my next door. Thanks, Houston, for building bike trails along the bayou.....why are my bike trails flooding?!
CDUB98
AG
drumboy said:

From my next door. Thanks, Houston, for building bike trails along the bayou.....why are my bike trails flooding?!

mememememememememeememememememme, it's all about me.
Liquid Wrench
I have a feeling I would enjoy reading Christina's input to HCFCD.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Trails along bayous will always be flooded when it rains. Why?

Because theyre in the floodway!
Bondag
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

So you are telling me the county spends money building parks, golf courses, bike trails, baseball fields and soccer fields in areas that they know will flood.
Texaggie7nine
But something something... Netherlands.... something something .... dikes!!
7nine
Bondag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

But something something... Netherlands.... something something .... dikes!!
That was the last mayor.
schmellba99
AG
Here's the deal with flood mitigation - you don't just go out and start digging holes or widening bayous, creeks, etc. Unfortunately this is the real world, and that means that the political tool of "shovel ready" projects is a bunch of garbage and doesn't exist.

If anybody here knows me and my posting history, I generally bag pretty hard on engineers and designers. But this is a case where I won't, because doing the hydraulic studies and compiling information (which is still being gathered and processed from the various holiday floods we've had over the last few years) takes time. I know this is the "here and now!" world, but you can't here and now good data to come up with good plans. Otherwise you are spinning your wheels and burning through tax dollars for no reason. It's simply going to take time to analyze the current situation and formulate a good plan that might have an impact on flooding.

As mentioned though, we are limited in this area with what we can do because the bayous and creeks and rivers are limited in their capacity to channel water the 8 feet down in elevation to the bay. It's just something that has to be accepted - no matter how fast you get water off the streets, the natural drainage channels can only hold so much capacity.

The bigger issues are going to be whether or not politicians (so basically "not") re-evaluate how development is done. As long as developers can show that their development has no impact, undeveloped areas will continue to have impervious cover added and more water will need to be directed to the bayous. Problem is that all of that data is done in a vacuum and not incorporated into larger models showing the areas around that also have no impact in a vacuum. Together they end up with major impacts to drainage, and in rain storms a significantly larger volume of water is now introduced into the drainage system than what was previously introduced, and then it becomes Houston we have a problem.

As far as projects go - I know Brazos River Authority has finished up with a massive lower basin modeling study that should provide a lot of information on flood plains, carrying capacity, etc. Doesn't have quite the effect on Houston proper. The City of Houston in conjunction with CWA is in the middle of accepting bids for some improvements and strengthening to the Lake Houston dam, Harris County is working on some regionalized flood control projects that will have some small impacts (most mentioned here). But by in large, most of the funding is likely going towards impact studies at this point so that future projects can be modeled to have as much of an impact as practical.
lunchbox
I did read something in our community paper about the dredging project for the San Jac.

FEMA is paying for it, but they are only paying to take it back to pre-Harvey conditions. Any improvements would have to be done later and funded separately.
Fitch
AG
The clearing out of the reservoirs and construction of a new one along Cypress Creek west of 99 will all probably happen. "Improving conveyance" down Buffalo Bayou essentially means widening and straightening sections from Beltway 8 through Memorial and the Villages to Memorial Park.

That has understandably become a political hot potato, to the point that no governmental agency or even the Chronicle, will talk about it.

young eugene
AG
I've heard of a few smaller projects to dig out old golf courses. There is one near Antoine and W Little York which I think is in the works but another one in Clear Lake that was dug out last year and supposedly did pretty well during Harvey.
Silky Johnston
There has been a pretty big project behind our street in Westbury. Looks like they are redoing and creating new drainage that leads to Willow Waterhole. Lots of earth has been moved around, but not sure if it will help any.
schmellba99
AG
Even if all of that is magically done, it will make about a 1% difference. Without changing what the actual root cause of the problem is (urban sprawl and increase in impervious cover), not much will change.
ChipFTAC01
AG
At our HOA meeting a few weeks ago the Memorial area super neighborhood president came and talked about the county's plans for that $2.5B. Buffalo Bayou is way down on their priorities because basically they don't own the ROW through the Villages so there's not much they can do to affect throughput.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Can someone link to the old plan to install massive buried storm sewer pipes from west to east of downtown?
Build It
AG
D.C. like Houston was built in a swamp.
(removed:110205)
https://www.hcfcd.org/projects-studies/buffalo-bayou/north-canal-bypass-channel/

Info on the Buffalo Bayou Canal.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Houston-s-sprawling-drainage-project-would-help-12759536.php

Chronicle article. As with most things, finding the money will be the main issue.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Bondag said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

So you are telling me the county spends money building parks, golf courses, bike trails, baseball fields and soccer fields in areas that they know will flood.

My sarcasm meter might be broken but isn't that the point of putting such improvements into flood prone areas? They're low-impact, don't increase impervious ground cover, and are relatively cheap to maintain and recover from floods as opposed to normal residential or commercial development.
Fitch
AG
The issue you highlighted is a quirky one.

While it's true that there are many private property lines that go to the center of the bayou, and in a lot of instances HCFCD doesn't even have an easement, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't maintain or widen the bayou in those areas.

Reason being the bayou as a public waterway is owned by the state of Texas, who long ago vested the (federally created) Houston Ship Channel Navigation District with the authority to maintain Buffalo Bayou all the way from the Gulf to quite literally Waller County. The power to do something has been in place for decades, but until recent years there hasn't been a need.

If there was political will to improve conveyance, it would happen. But no elected official wants to wade into that issue so the flooding will just continue.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.