Houston
Sponsored by

George Strait Rodeo Houston 2019

28,582 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by David_Puddy
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got an email that Strait will be performing the last show for next years rodeo. There will be no rodeo before the show and it will be a full length concert
H-town ag
aTm2004
AG
I may actually try to make a show next year.

agnerd
AG
Quote:

Today, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo officials announced changes to the 2019 schedule with the addition of an extra day and a concert-only performance by country music entertainer and icon George Strait. The 2019 Rodeo will now run for 21 days Monday, Feb. 25 Sunday, March 17. Strait will perform on the final night, marking his 30th RODEOHOUSTON performance.

Strait will return to RODEOHOUSTON on Sunday, March 17, for a full-length evening concert in NRG Stadium. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will be the only Texas performance for Strait in 2019. Opening acts will be announced at a later date. There is no rodeo performance scheduled before the concert, however, all activities on the grounds including shopping and dining areas, carnival, livestock and horse show competitions, and other exhibits and attractions at NRG Park will be open to the public on March 17.

The remaining 2019 RODEOHOUSTON entertainment schedule will be announced in early January. Individual tickets for all RODEOHOUSTON performances, including the George Strait concert-only performance, will go on sale in early January 2019. A limited amount of season tickets will go on sale to the public on Aug. 1, 2018.
David_Puddy
AG
So f'ing awesome
IceAg08
AG
He told us he was hanging up his spurs. I feel lied to
GoneGirl
AG
IceAg08 said:

You should skip it then. If tickets come your way, you can give them to me, so you won't have to feel like a hypocrite.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
BrazosDog02
AG
Is this a nostalgia thing? Last concert I heard at the rodeo sounded like ass.....and it was loud as f---. I can't begin to imagine what Strait will sound like inside that tin can. So loud....
Panama Red
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Is this a nostalgia thing? Last concert I heard at the rodeo sounded like ass.....and it was loud as f---. I can't begin to imagine what Strait will sound like inside that tin can. So loud....
Glad "rodeo concert sound is terrible" guy finally showed up. Thought it would be sooner.
bkag9824
AG
IceAg08 said:

It's almost as if the PR heads of George and Garth got together...

"So, hear me out here, ok? We think it would be a real money maker if you guys 'retired' a few times, and then like, say, I dunno, maybe like a year or so later you decided you 'really missed performing' and have like, a 'super final riding away into the sunset forever tour'."

And yes, I know that Garth has only been touring again in the past year or so. Just go with it.

digging tunnels
AG
I thought Garth was a cluster. This will be worse. And I'll still be there to enjoy it all
RK
AG
it probably becomes an easy decision to stop touring at some point and say your done. then it's probably an impossible decision to say no to playing occasional big time shows.
Diggity
AG
I would think Garth is the bigger draw of the two.
GoneGirl
AG
bkag9824 said:

IceAg08 said:

"So, hear me out here, ok? We think it would be a real money maker if you guys 'retired' a few times, and then like, say, I dunno, maybe like a year or so later you decided you 'really missed performing' and have like, a 'super final riding away into the sunset forever tour'."

And yes, I know that Garth has only been touring again in the past year or so. Just go with it.

A tradition embraced by some of the world's biggest performers.

Just to name a few.

Judas Priest farewell tour 2011. Went back on Tour 2013
Nine Inch Nails farewell tour 2009. Went back on Tour 2013
Cher farewell tour 2002. Went back on tour 2014 - but had a long running Vegas show in between
Tina Turner farewell tour 2000, went back on tour 2008 for her 50th anniversary of her performing
Kiss farewell tour 2000 - came back in 2002
Ozzy farewell tour 1992, was back on tour in 1995
Elton John farewell tour in 1977 - back on tour in 1979

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Ag_07
AG
Panama Red said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Glad "rodeo concert sound is terrible" guy finally showed up. Thought it would be sooner.

Only thing missing is rodeo costume guy. So...

Guess this means I'll get 4 more hours of playing cowboy in my nuthuggers, my Stetson, and my custom Luccheses before I put them in the closet to collect dust for 11 more months.
JSKolache
AG
TxElsie said:

bkag9824 said:

IceAg08 said:

Just to name a few.

Cher farewell tour 2002. Went back on tour 2014 - but had a long running Vegas show in between
Tina Turner farewell tour 2000, went back on tour 2008 for her 50th anniversary of her performing

Also The Eagles - every show since the 80's
Ducks4brkfast
AG
TxElsie said:

bkag9824 said:

IceAg08 said:

Just to name a few.

Jay-Z?
TXAG 05
AG
Ag_07 said:

Panama Red said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Only thing missing is rodeo costume guy. So...

Guess this means I'll get 4 more hours of playing cowboy in my nuthuggers, my Stetson, and my custom Luccheses before I put them in the closet to collect dust for 11 more months.

This. AustinCountyAg must be out of pocket today or something. Normally he would be all over this.

And to be fair. George never said he was going to stop recording or playing shows, he just wasn't going to tour anymore.
David_Puddy
AG
Diggity said:

I would think Garth is the bigger draw of the two.

You think? I'm not so sure about that. George is from Texas and obviously has many more #1 hits. Hard to find a Texan, that may not even listen to country, who doesn't like George Strait. I predict you'll see the aftermarket ticket prices higher than Garth was. Now if we're talking the Oklahoma rodeo, different story.

From a pure music perspective, George kills Garth, IMO (and I like Garth a lot). Entertainment perspective, it's the other way around.
Diggity
AG
The only reason I think that is that Garth had a lot more cross-over appeal than George ever did.

I agree that George has a much better catalog (which I celebrate in its entirety).
Liquid Wrench
Garth had more crossover fans and probably created a little more buzz than an old standard. But I'm sure either one of them could sell out the rodeo any time they felt like it.
agnerd
AG
David_Puddy said:

I predict you'll see the aftermarket ticket prices higher than Garth was. Now if we're talking the Oklahoma rodeo, different story.
I was willing to sell one of my Garth tickets because there were 2 concerts, and I almost made enough to pay for the entire season. I'd have to get at least double season ticket prices to sell George. If others feel like I do, the aftermarket prices could get REALLY ugly.
Ragoo
AG
Fck yeah rodeo, wooooo
Dr. Horrible
No you can't have my extra tickets!

Gotta get used to saying that for the next 9 months...

That said, I'm a little pissed they extended the rodeo by a day to do this... Throws our shift schedule into all kinds of a tailspin since the whole thing is built around a 20 day show...
Sgt. Hartman
AG
George who?
tonytx05
AG
digging tunnels said:

I thought Garth was a cluster. This will be worse. And I'll still be there to enjoy it all

I thought Garth was awesome.
Olsen
AG
Here's the full leaked lineup

Liquid Wrench
Should've put *maybe* under the Turnpike Troubadours.
Diggity
AG
I like the guys, but can they fill NRG?

Last I saw them was House of Blues.

What's the story there?
Texaggie7nine
Keeping with a EDM night. Good on Rodeo
7nine
Liquid Wrench
Diggity said:

I like the guys, but can they fill NRG?

Last I saw them was House of Blues.

What's the story there?

I'm sure they can fill it cus rodeo. But the lead singer has been going through the addiction and rehab thing. Hope it works out cus I want to see them live.
Diggity
AG
Gotcha. Wasn't aware of that
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Here's the full leaked lineup

I will be surprised if this is the line up. Cardi B does not fit in with the HLSR mold of entertainers, Brooks n Dunn havent left Vegas for a concert, and Brad Paisley on another Saturday for the gazillionth year in a row? Plus the issues with Turnpike who are not touring currently. I am having a hard time believing this is real.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
They all suck. Rodeo was so much better when I was in high school.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

They all suck. Rodeo was so much better when I was in high school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.