Houston
Sponsored by

Can't get more Tine than this story ... Mattress on 45N ...1 ... 18-Wheeler ... 0

13,015 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ferris Wheel Allstar
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mattress falls off the back of a pickup truck and lands in main-lanes of 45-North @ West Road

Unable to avoid the mattress, the truck driver runs it over.

Mattress gets stuck under the truck and catches fire.

Burns truck and trailer to the frame.

Mattress on Freeway Causes 18-Wheeler to Catch Fire

Over about 30 years, Ive almost hit or otherwise seen the following create traffic chaos:

Mattresses

Packing Peanuts

Sofas

Car quarter panel

Lumber

Steel Pipe

Remnants of particle board furniture (turned to dust)

Aluminum ladders

Homeless person runs out into rush hour traffic. Gets hit and flys at least 10-ft into the air. From my vantage point I see a human shoot straight up in the air on I-10 right near downtown. No way he made it. Was never reported in the papers either.

Dancing naked lady on 290.

Elementary school kid tries to run across 45-S during morning rush hour (on a dare). He didn't make it. Probably the saddest story I can remember.

Honorable mentions:

Rice professor drives Prius into flooded underpass (during the daylight ... while TV reporter doing a live spot)

Lady drives her Tahoe into flooded underpass. Video shows the lady texting on her phone. SUV slowly sinks. Light from phone screen goes out and the lady dies.

lunchbox
I was once driving south on 59 and one of those round hay bales fell off a truck and just exploded. It was surreal driving through that. Looked like a beige blizzard.

Also, I once had a jeep that was next to me pass me and and then have a blow out about 100 yds ahead of me. The blowout caused them to spin out towards me and for a second there, the driver and I were facing each other (maybe 50-75 ft apart) until she continued to spin out to the shoulder. This was on 288 going north around MacGregor...I think I took my foot off the gas but it all happened so fast that by the time I would have slammed on the brakes, she was past me.
David_Puddy
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Honorable mentions:

Rice professor drives Prius into flooded underpass (during the daylight ... while TV reporter doing a live spot)

Never forget....

aTm2004
AG
Bernie was a Cougar High Prof, not Rice.
88jrt06
AG
You see dead people!

Three by my count.
Please post your route so I can find an alternate.

I've only seen one; boring compact car rear-ends 18-wheeler = flat car.
Dan Scott
AG
More random crap happens on 45N than any freeway in Houston.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Steve Campion is such a beta.
Your Friend
The North freeway's moron-factor is off the charts
CDUB98
AG
Dan Scott said:

THIS!

That thing is a magnet for stupidity and random crap.
Jock 07
AG
I love how he puts it in reverse thinking that he'll be able to back out of the water
HtownAg92
AG
Worst I ever saw was a truckload of meat byproducts spilled out on I-10. Literally, a load of lips and a-holes and other waste parts on its way to some cannery (or a Chinese buffet) spread all over the road.
88jrt06
schmendeler
AG
aTm2004 said:

Bernie was a Cougar High Prof, not Rice.
and that's a Honda insight, not a prius.
Cibalo
I've seen multiple wheelbarrows, a wooden pallet (that I ran over in my truck after the woman driving the mustang in front of me plowed into it. I was fine, she was not), and a plumbing truck dropping 1" fittings down 249.

Also don't forget about the guy that shut down 45 to propose to his gf, and the spare tire that broke from its bracket and flew into oncoming traffic killing a person. I think that was on 45 downtown as well.
Big Cat `93
AG
Do the guys shooting hoops in the middle of traffic count?

Also, the ATV gang on the southside.
Boo Weekley
Dan Scott said:

That is by far my least fav stretch of road in the tine. I never really feel safe from downtown to BW8 on 45N.
David_Puddy said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Honorable mentions:

Never forget....

"What do I do?"
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Quote:

and the spare tire that broke from its bracket and flew into oncoming traffic killing a person. I think that was on 45 downtown as well.

I think that may have been on 225. The firm I clerked for in law school handled the defense of that case. The post-incident investigation photos were not pretty.
Silvy
AG
I think it was about a year ago I was heading westbound on 225 when a truck wheel/tire heading eastbound hopped over the jersey barrier right next to me in the left lane. It would've taken out the car behind me had I not swerved.

Then there was the bolt that killed someone on 146 last year.
CDUB98
AG
I've been extremely fortunate to not witness anything happen, but I have come upon some aftermaths.

One was a jack-knifed 18-wheeler on the South loop that had somehow made it off the loop and tried to wall ride the sound barrier to Braeswood Place. How in the hell he did that, I have no clue.

Last week, jack-knifed 18-wheel on the Katy Freeway Westbound. Don't remember seeing another car involved or brake skid marks. Strange.

Worst was having some jackwagon motorcyclists go flying by me on my way to Galveston. Probably about 8 of them. Only a couple of miles later, where 146 and I45 meet, sure enough, there was a bad crash and as we crept by I saw several in distress and one of them threw down his helmet. Found out later on the news that one of those guys had died.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm now near Austin but spent 16 years driving up and down 45N.

Ran over 2 pallets, 1 crushed aluminum ladder and a partially flattened box spring in my old 3/4 Ton. It took it without damage. In every case I was boxed in and moving at freeway speed so there was no safe way to avoid it.
TXTransplant
Traveling southbound on I-45N, just south of The Woodlands, I watched a tire fall off the back of a pickup, bounce/roll across all four lanes of southbound traffic, jump the barricade into the HOV lane, cross the HOV lane, jump the barricade out of the HOV lane and into northbound traffic, and bounce/roll across all four lanes of northbound traffic (5, if you count the shoulder). Somehow, it managed to avoid hitting anything or causing a wreck.

I've also seen an 18-wheeler slam on brakes to avoid hitting a car that pulled out in front of it, lose control, cross in front of my car, and plow straight through a gas station convenience store (literally went in one side and came out the other). All without hitting any of the gas pumps or killing anyone in the store. That was in Alabama, though.
Ghost91
Jack Cheese
AG
HtownAg92 said:

(or a Chinese buffet)
BQ_90
AG
They're have been cattle trucks flip over on about every freeway in town. Most of the time with cows hauling ass down the highway
Bondag
AG
Was on 610 over the ship channel and saw a puff of smoke and flying objects . Then a bunch of brake lights followed by cars turning around and driving the wrong way back on to 225. Saw a big hole and rebar sticking up so I followed.

Turns out a crane wasn't lowered and broke through the bridge and hit a truck and SUV and everyone noped out of there.
Bondag
AG
Also saw a homeless guy on a bike ride out from behind a building into an intersection full speed against a red light. There was a car going about 30 the never had a chance to hit the brakes. Bike got stuck under tire stopping car and guy flipped over the car.
RC_57
AG
Riding home late (~midnight) on Saturday from the old HRP dirt track.

We're in a dual cab 1-ton, pulling a 30' enclosed trailer with a 2,600# racecar, 4-wheeler, cabinets full of spares and tools, in other words heavy (this will come into play in a minute)

So we're heading west on I-10, coming into downtown. About the time we make the turn almost due north and then back to the west on 10 when all the fun starts.

A car on the opposite side of 10, heading east, doesn't make the curve in the road and banks off the center concrete barrier between the East and Westbound lanes.

The car goes airborne, does a barrel roll, landing on its roof on the top of the barrier, skidding and sparking its way along the barrier.

Wow, we're impressed.

I'm riding shotgun, so I call 911 and report the Joey Chitwood thrill show

About the time I hang up, as we're approaching the exit off of 10 to the 610 N/S split, 6 or 7, maybe 8 guys on crotch rockets fly by our truck/trailer on both sides. They're doing well over 80.

Anyway, one of the guys at the front of the pack nails one of the front barrel of all those barrels guarding the concrete divider.

His bike goes about 20, 30' straight up. He didn't plan it out as well and doesn't get quite the vertical height of his bike, he probably only goes 15 or 20' up. But he does score well with the couple of flips and nails the landing.

Unfortunately the landing is dead in the middle of the lane our (see above) truck/trailer combo is traveling.

Quint slams on the brakes and 8 tires are locked up sliding straight towards the guy laying knocked out in the lane.

Anyway, the rider finally caught a break, as we stopped maybe 4 or 5' short of rolling over his azz
Stat Monitor Repairman
Jesus man. That sounds about par for the course.

It cracks me up how worked up people get about being safe from terrorists or mass shootings or whatever, but I lost count of the number of crazy close calls that happened to me just trying drive somewhere in this crazy ******* town.
Ag_07
AG
But was it a Mattress Firm mattress?
BigPuma
AG
Nope. From Mattresses for Less
chimpanzee
Right after I went to pass an SUV towing a couple of four wheelers on a trailer, one of them fell off at full speed on 59N.

For 45 North stories, all I got is the guy getting beat on by his old lady on the shoulder while he tried to get her back in the car to keep from being flattened by one of the protagonists of the earlier stories and/or their aluminum ladders.
coolerguy12
AG
You forgot when the dump truck raised up while driving and took out a sign. I think that was 45N and 610. Also the guy riding his lawn mower with his son in the HOV lane.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Good call. I remember both.

Also remember an oversized load hit an overpass on 45 near downtown. It snarled traffic for a week or two while they fixed it. A couple days after it got fixed anoher truck came along and hit it again. Rinse and repeat.

Earliest childhood memory was a tanker truck full of ammonia crashed over the guardrail near 59 and 610. Created a gas cloud in that killed a bunch of people if i recall.
BigPuma
AG
Thats why they have HC routes now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.