Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Open

35,966 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by htxag09
David_Puddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is terrible, this idea

Stupid Turner....what a moron
zgood10
AG
Lol

Say goodbye to all the big names
Gap
AG
Of all the things for government to screw up, I didn't have golf tournament on the list.
Your Friend
Why is it so terrible?
JJxvi
AG
Can we just link to old threads about this instead of having a whole new convo?
Two Down
AG
Article updated to clarify Memorial is only proposed location, not the final location as of yet.
JJxvi
AG
I support having a plan to move this to Memorial Park (esp as someone who could then walk to the event, and would like to go to HGC every year but usually cant due to the hassle of planning and getting out there).

However, this is something for 10 years from now, and after planning for it now while they are upgrading the entirety of Memorial Park. In 10 years there will be even more open space, the projects currently under construction around the park will be finished, the new pedestrian connections and trails around the park could get done, and the new parking areas will have been built, and they can also plan and address how they are going to handle the course and actual golf facilities in that time. If you want an event like the Houston Open at Memorial Park, I think in theory thats a great thing to have in your city if it was done right and with plenty of time in advance (and not in years coming up where a lot of the area is going to be a construction lot).
Texaggie7nine
Yep. Would need full course renovation including significant lengthening. Shut it down for 2 or 3 years and get it done if they are serious. Meanwhile, move it to Cypresswood.
7nine
JJxvi
AG
The big one to me, is when do they get to the part where the Tennis/Fitness center is moved from its current location (15 on this map) to its future location between Haskell and Arnot (18 and 19). Thats basically one of the big golf problems currently, the crammed in driving range with a 250 yard max distance.

Ragoo
AG
7,Pw,putter tournament
Panama Red
AG
It's already losing its spot in March. Playing in the summer may mean no big names come regardless of where it is.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Yep. Would need full course renovation including significant lengthening. Shut it down for 2 or 3 years and get it done if they are serious. Meanwhile, move it to Cypresswood.
Cypresswood re-opens for play after Harvey tomorrow - I don't think it will be Tour Ready anytime soon and it has the same issues really as Memorial Park.
Jock 07
AG
Have they even figured out the sponsorship issue yet? That would seem to be more of a concern at this point. Can't remember, why was it moved from TPC woodlands? Would they not be able to move it back there for the interim?
Boats and Hose
AG
I think Turner wants to have the tournament played within city limits, which partly explains the move to Memorial. But I agree, there's a slim chance that Memorial is ready for tournament play by March 2019.
tommyjohn
I don't think The Woodlands wanted it anymore. I would love if it came back.

Can't be any wore than the Ironman this weekend as far as hassles and inconvenience.
Tom Hagen
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Can you imagine the squeeling that would occur with the necessary removal of hundreds of trees?
David_Puddy
AG
Your Friend said:

Why is it so terrible?

Because the course isn't near as challenging, it isn't going to help prepare any of the guys for the Master's the following week (like several pros have commented that GCoH does), and the big names will not come. Oh not to mention the clusterf-ck that will be parking. Now go troll another thread, dildo.
randy828
AG
Champions GC!
Bassmaster
AG
tommyjohn said:

Can't be any wore than the Ironman this weekend as far as hassles and inconvenience.
Isn't that the truth. I get that it brings in a lot of money to the area, but it is a huge PITA.
AgCPA95
AG
tommyjohn said:

From this old article, it appears the Woodlands still wanted them.

SHO move from The Woodlands
BMX Bandit
Valero now just before Masters. Houston open no longer a tune up.
JJxvi
AG
David_Puddy said:

Your Friend said:

Why is it so terrible?

Because the course isn't near as challenging, it isn't going to help prepare any of the guys for the Master's the following week (like several pros have commented that GCoH does), and the big names will not come. Oh not to mention the clusterf-ck that will be parking. Now go troll another thread, dildo.
My understanding is that the idea of "the Master's the following week" is basically gone.
Your Friend
David_Puddy said:

Your Friend said:

Why is it so terrible?

So move some tees back and trick out the course a little. Figure out parking and transportation logistics. The Houston open should be in Houston. And being so close to dt with shots of the skyline would be neat
JJxvi
AG
I think the idea of solving the issues that the Houston Open has through the golf side (although they have done ok with HGC and the schedule to play to the strengths they were dealt) is kind of a pipe dream. You're never going to make this a great event through improving the golf, especially if the advantages you did have are now going away. I think it's gotta be more of a fan friendly, community event and try to increase the draw. I can see Memorial Park being a key part in doing that if they do it right. However, I'm extremely skeptical of just throwing the tournament in there in only one or two years and expecting that kind of result.
MJ20/20
AG
Don't sleep on Heron Lakes. Talk about a Master tune up.
randy828
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Don't sleep on Heron Lakes. Talk about a Master tune up.
Pinecrest is pretty damn challenging these days!
FarmerJohn
AG
I like the theory of a golf tournament in a pretty urban area. It would absolutely be walk-able from hotels and other amenities. Baring that, setting up a shuttle would be pretty easy. It just seems very marketable. the problem is what has been mentioned in that they don't have the facilities. I can just imagine the bellyaching if they close Memorial park to renovate for a PGA event.
JJxvi
AG
I've actually never parked at HGC on my trips to the SHO there.
David_Puddy
AG
Your Friend said:

David_Puddy said:

Your Friend said:

Why is it so terrible?

So move some tees back and trick out the course a little. Figure out parking and transportation logistics. The Houston open should be in Houston. And being so close to dt with shots of the skyline would be neat

Yes, "figure out parking"......you're a dumbass. No wonder you couldn't get into Texas.
JJxvi
AG
Parking is being added in several areas of Memorial Park, I'm also not completely certain that it would even be an issue at Memorial Park. There is generally a ****ton of people there. Google tells me that the 2016 attendance for the SHO was 125,000, and thats over 4 or 5 days or whatever right? Memorial Park has roughly 10-20,000 people stopping in and using facilities there already every day. An event at Memorial Park is going to draw a pretty large walkup crowd, and also heavily rely on shuttles, just as the Houston Open does in Humble.
Your Friend
That's in your face puddy
Texaggie7nine
Your Friend said:

That's in your face puddy
Was that a response to JJxvi or were you having a wet dream?
7nine
andrago94
AG
They could play it at Deerwood. Inside the city limits and twice as far out of town as GCH!
The Milkman
AG
Your Friend said:

David_Puddy said:

Your Friend said:

Why is it so terrible?

Why is this such a point for people? All you have to do is tell CBS to stop calling it "Humble TX near Houston" and your issue is solved. No one has any idea that its not inside the city limits. The course its held at has Houston in its name.
JJxvi
AG
In any event, the course with Houston in the name doesn't exactly seem to be an option given that the statement released by the HGA says "We received notice this week from the Golf Club of Houston regarding the club's decision to no longer host a PGA Tour event"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.