Houston
Sponsored by

Why are there always a dozen tow trucks lined up for 2-car accidents?

3,576 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamuags08
Ghost91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just drove past your standard 2-car accident, and there are at least six tow trucks lined up on either side of the scene in both directions. Occurred to me that it's always like this - way more wreckers than will be needed.

Why?
Slappy74
AG
In my experience, they usually draw cards to see who gets the honor of towing you.
sts7049
AG
money
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I've seen them roll dice on the asphalt.

Tow truck drivers are by and large pure scum.
Dan Scott
AG
Worst drivers
FtBendTxAg
AG
Mosquitos and tow truck drivers are in the same life category.
plowboy1065
S
Counted 16 tow truck parked on the side of 290 in front of my office for a one car accident. They are the lowest forms of life and will damn sure cause a wreck trying to get to one
lancevance
Not sure why you guys are saying that. Some of the nicest people I have met are tow truck drivers.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
They are scum for going to where they are needed and trying to get work?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Al Bula
AG
Troutslime said:

yes.
Tom Hagen
AG
Troutslime said:

Yes. They draw straws to see who gets to extort the owner of the car. The driver should be able to negotiate with them, and choose the one who offers the best price.
CDUB98
AG
vultures
Al Bula
AG
A janitor who cleans adult film sets has a more respectable career than any tow truck driver.
htxag09
AG
I absolutely agree that it pisses me off to no end when they line up like that. I think all the extra ones that just stay should be ticketed. Also hate how they park wherever they want and drive as if they are law enforcement or above the rules.

However, it's not all their fault. My wife was in an accident and her car was undriveable. Tow truck driver showed up after about 15 minutes. Per him, he had to wait for the police to get their to confirm her car was in fact undriveable and give him the go ahead to tow her. That was an additional 45 minutes.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Also hate how they park wherever they want and drive as if they are law enforcement or above the rules.

This is what pisses me off the most. They are damned dangerous in their hauling ass to accidents.
88jrt06
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Counted 16 tow truck parked on the side of 290 in front of my office for a one car accident. They are the lowest forms of life and will damn sure cause a wreck trying to get to one
They're fishing, and the cluster they form is chum....
MouthBQ98
AG
I have AAA. I use whoever they dispatch. Keeps it simple.
tamuags08
AG
hodgesco said:

Texaggie7nine
5 of them flipped coins for the wreck I had years ago. It may be a needed service, but they sure as hell don't allow a free market to negotiate the price. One thing I saw in Europe that made me think it may be a good idea was Police tow trucks. It's a government owned road, let city government provide the towing at a low price as part of a city service.
7nine
htxag09
AG
If you want something fixed, let the government get involved.
03_Aggie
Texaggie7nine said:

5 of them flipped coins for the wreck I had years ago. It may be a needed service, but they sure as hell don't allow a free market to negotiate the price. One thing I saw in Europe that made me think it may be a good idea was Police tow trucks. It's a government owned road, let city government provide the towing at a low price as part of a city service.

Isn't that sort of what safe clear was meant to achieve? Setting aside the scams those guys run trying to charge you.

Also, if you're involved in an accident, isn't insurance covering the tow? If so, why would you want to negotiate it?
Texaggie7nine
htxag09 said:

I'm libertarian, but when it's on city property and they have created an environment for private companies to be predatory, I can't help but think a city ran towing service that is limited with how much it can charge might be better.
7nine
BohunkAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Yes, let the government run everything. They sure as sh-t won't screw it up.
Texaggie7nine
Because, just like with medical insurance, the tow companies can get away with inflated prices for that very reason that it's not negotiated up front, and all insurance customers cover the bill.
7nine
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Troutslime said:

Yes. They draw straws to see who gets to extort the owner of the car. The driver should be able to negotiate with them, and choose the one who offers the best price.

I believe the city sets the rate.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
BBRex
AG
They're all there because in Houston there will be three more wrecks nearby because of the rubbernecking.
Texaggie7nine said:

htxag09 said:

I'm libertarian, but when it's on city property and they have created an environment for private companies to be predatory, I can't help but think a city ran towing service that is limited with how much it can charge might be better.

I'm a libertarian also, and you should slap some sense into yourself. This is a horrible idea.
mts6175
AG
City sets the rate and they carry a dice with them because that's how HPD chooses who gets the tow.

Personally don't blame them, blame HPD for how they do it.
Smokedraw01
Houston is one of the last cities to do it that way. Other municipalities and cities put tow truck companies on a rotation. When you get the call from the dispatcher, you better show up in a timely manner or you are off the rotation. Much safer for everyone and drivers don't have to camp out underneath overpasses and such.

Tow truck services are always hated mostly because they are showing up when you are most vulnerable.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
johnrth
I remember yrs ago in high school when I got into a wreck on the way to school and my mom showed up, there were a bunch of tow trucks already lined up and my mom just said sorry guys but who ever is AAA is towing.
Liquid Wrench
Some officers like this system, at least at night, because all those tow trucks with flashing lights get the attention of other drivers approaching the scene.
lostrg
Because idiots drive
JSKolache
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I have AAA. I use whoever they dispatch. Keeps it simple.
This, they all show up and hope the driver doesn't have AAA or specific coverage through insurance. Then its first come first serve....
swimmerbabe11
hodgesco said:

Tow truck drivers are by and large pure scum.

Wait, this is a real thing?
swimmerbabe11
I've had three real experiences with two truck drivers
One where the guy basically sat in my driveway in college every day til I asked the police to tell him to stop, then he paid the kids at subway to call him if anyone parked in the wrong spot. He was a creepy mcCreeperson.

Then when I got in a wreck outside of Calvert by myself with my two dogs. He gave me a ride to where I was supposed to meet up with a ride and stayed wiyh me til they got there and was incredibly kind

Third towed my car half a mile to a gas station. He only charged like 20 bucks and was really nice.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.