Houston
Sponsored by

Streaming 'Stros

2,097 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Al Bula
bdenby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I realize this has been covered, but the situation is becoming dire. Cord has been cut. I use DirecTv Now and Hulu. Also have the MLB app. Is there no service that can be bought to watch AT&T Sports? I live in Dallas and the MLB app still blocks due to location.
The Milkman
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBStreams/

Your best bet
drumboy
AG
I've used a chrome extension that masked your location but it makes everything in the browser really slow. I remember you could disable it as soon as the stream started loading.

Or use r/mlbstreams.
Texaggie7nine
If you can stream from a laptop or PC then just get a cheap VPN like HideMyAss and set it to a different state to mask your location.

Unfortunately it won't work on a mobile device because it uses your GPS location to know where you are.
7nine
rosco511
AG
What type of device do you use for streaming? As long as you Roku or Apple TV and not Firestick, you can subscribe to a Smart DNS service that will route your location through the UK. It is simple. You just enter their DNS settings into your router and it does not impact your Hulu or DirecTvnow. I use Overplay.Net and works great.
blinnboy83
Another vote for overplay. I have mlbtv (free from T-Mobile promotion.) and Overplay doesn't slow the speed down and can specifically block the location of mlb while not messing with the rest. I tried casting the ATT sports SW app on Chrome and it was so slow and glitchy. Tried streaming reddit and it worked great, but if I wanted to use my MLBTV.
Forum Troll
AG
I use MLB.tv on my Roku with ExpressVPN's firmware installed on my router. Its 60 dollars for 6 months. Just turn on the VPN when I want to watch games. I go through a server in NJ.
sts7049
AG
The Milkman said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBStreams/

Your best bet
this has been a lifesaver living out of the country
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Maybe you could find someone with att sportsnet and log onto the Att sportsnet app using their password.

It might also be possible to just stream the app from a tablet directly to your Roku or smart TV.

K_P
AG
fw_ag said:

It might also be possible to just stream the app from a tablet directly to your Roku or smart TV.

I couldn't get this to work with the ATT sportsnet app and AppleTV. The app is locked in portrait mode even though the game is shown landscape. When you stream, it shows up sideways on the TV. (I checked to make sure my phone wasn't locked in portrait, etc.) I think it's to prevent streaming to AppleTVs, not sure.

Has anybody figured this out?
Al Bula
AG
fw_ag said:

Maybe you could find someone with att sportsnet and log onto the Att sportsnet app using their password.
Will only work if your friend has one of the cable providers allowed by ATT like Uverse or DirecTV.
bdenby
AG
From the Reddit thread I learned about Yonder TV. Since I already had a MLB.com subscription it took all of 3 minutes to configure on my Apple TV. The cost is $30/year, but they have a 7 day free trial. I watched the whole game yesterday with no issues. Appreciate the help. I hope this helps other as well.
htxag09
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

If you can stream from a laptop or PC then just get a cheap VPN like HideMyAss and set it to a different state to mask your location.

Unfortunately it won't work on a mobile device because it uses your GPS location to know where you are.

I've used a vpn on my mobile phone and it worked. You can also install a vpn on your router so it masks your location for your WiFi. Then roku, Apple TV, etc. should all be able to stream them. Don't know a whole lot about that, though, just have heard.
Texaggie7nine
htxag09 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I've used a vpn on my mobile phone and it worked. You can also install a vpn on your router so it masks your location for your WiFi. Then roku, Apple TV, etc. should all be able to stream them. Don't know a whole lot about that, though, just have heard.
That's true, but I have yet to get my phone to trick the services like ESPN or MLB or Comcast when there are blackouts and I'm out and about. I turn off my GPS, I have VPN app running and verify that my IP is showing out of state, yet I still get the "not available in your area" messages.
7nine
htxag09
AG
I've never used the vpn when in houston to watch the stros through the mlb network. But I have used it when out of houston. I'd use my vpn to show I was in a local viewing area, Dallas, and then stream the stros through my at&t account. If that makes sense.

I've also used a vpn on my phone when out of the country to do the same, and to watch espn.
Texaggie7nine
What VPN app? I tried doing that while in spain, and watch ESPN always knew I was in spain.
7nine
htxag09
AG
ExpressVPN
sts7049
AG
I use astrill. works well for me.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Presley said:

fw_ag said:

I couldn't get this to work with the ATT sportsnet app and AppleTV. The app is locked in portrait mode even though the game is shown landscape. When you stream, it shows up sideways on the TV. (I checked to make sure my phone wasn't locked in portrait, etc.) I think it's to prevent streaming to AppleTVs, not sure.

Has anybody figured this out?

Go buy a $100 dollar galaxy tablet. It works fine for me.
howdydamnit04
AG
RPM said:

fw_ag said:

Will only work if your friend has one of the cable providers allowed by ATT like Uverse or DirecTV.

My parents DTv account won't work and always gets one of several errors. Reading online this is very common. Their home address and billing address are in Houston.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
nm figured it out.

Appreciate the insight, I have the same set up.
Al Bula
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

RPM said:

fw_ag said:

My parents DTv account won't work and always gets one of several errors. Reading online this is very common. Their home address and billing address are in Houston.
well that sucks even more.

Such irony that MLB, the withering "national pastime," is kicking itself in its own dick by not giving fans an easy and uncomplicated way to consume the sport of baseball.

Sure you can get MLB TV but the blackout garbage is pure nonsense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.