Houston
Sponsored by

Allergist

7 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dr. Horrible
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone on this board have an allergist they can recommend?
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
Dr. Brian Tison was great when I went to see him. He seemed very energetic and passionate about getting his patients healthier.

Problem for me was that he recommended immunotherapy... taking 2 allergy shots twice weekly. The shots had to be administered in his office which was in a med center building. They made you take the shots and then gave you a timer with 20 minutes on it which had to be completed before I left.

So getting there, paying $6 to park, getting shots, waiting 20 minutes.. it became an hour long affair and they wanted me to do it twice a week.

I know that this is what I signed up for, but it just took too much of a chunk out of my day. Plus that's over $600 in parking garage fees per year. Great doctor, would recommend, but only if you have a flexible daily work schedule.
Texaggie7nine
This was the option given to me when I went in to my ENT asking to be screened for Sinuplasty.

He said he wanted to try that first. So I just gave up and live with never breathing out of my nose at night, except the rare night I take Afrin as a treat.
7nine
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
I never had a problem with the shots. I started them when I was in college, and the clinic was on the way to campus which was perfect. I would park right in front of the entrance, walk 30 feet, swipe a card, get called back 10 seconds later, get my shots all while never even sitting down, then tell the nurses thanks and be off with my day..

Then I moved to Houston and my relatively simple task of getting my shots turned into the long drawn out process from my first post.

The shots work and aren't bad at all. It just became one of those problems that comes with having one of the best medical centers in the world... you have to deal with the parking and hassle that sometimes comes with it.
Texaggie7nine
Yeah, my ENT is about a 30 min drive in traffic from my office. 2 hours twice a week in the middle of the work day isn't an option.
7nine
AgCPA95
AG
Dr. Lee at McGovern Allergy in Bellaire. They would mail the vials to my house and I took shots at home.
Diggity
AG
why the 20 minute wait after the shots?
Bassmaster
AG
To check for an allergic reaction. I get why they require it, but it is a hassle.
Jackal99
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Dr. Lee at McGovern Allergy in Bellaire. They would mail the vials to my house and I took shots at home.

Second McGovern. Never had to take a shot in the office, with the exception of the very first one.
Jethro95
AG
Texas ENT. Dr. Fox. I started the drops in December and they seem to be working. The drops cost a little more than shots but no office visit required. Under the tongue for 2 minutes 2 times a day.
Bondag
AG
Diggity said:

why the 20 minute wait after the shots?

Lawyers
AgLiving06
I go to Advanced Asthma and Allergy which is just off Bellaire Blvd.

Have the two minute wait, but there's never a wait for shot.
Jackal99
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I go to Advanced Asthma and Allergy which is just off Bellaire Blvd.

Have the two minute wait, but there's never a wait for shot.

Another second. We take our son there. He doesn't get allergy shots, but it's a good place.
Bondag
AG
I like Allergy &ENT because job moves around and they have lots of convenient offices near lunch places so I could knock out shot and lunch on a lunch break. 5 years later allergies 1000 times better. Still take Zyrtec every day, but no longer snore or wake house blowing nose.
Dr. Horrible
My recommendation is to worry less about what doctor and more about location convenience. Doesn't matter how good the doctor is if you aren't willing to go regularly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.