Houston
Sponsored by

Sugar Land roofing question

964 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by IronMan92
phillyag92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3 neighbors on our street have had their roofs replaced in the past 2 months. A fourth is starting today. I've talked to each of them and they had little damage, some slow leaks, etc. But no major storm damage. And their deductibles are about the same (in the $6000 range).

So they file with insurance, and end up paying nothing for the new roof. I guess the roofer covers the deductible?

Seems sketchy to me, but I have never had a roof replaced and I'm not 100% sure how it works. Any insight here?
IronMan92
AG
Technically, if your neighbors are not paying their deductible, it is considered insurance fraud. This is crap but this is what I went through before.

My insurance company pays a fixed amount, based on the adjuster's assessment. No matter what roofer I went to, they were paid the same amount, directly from my insurance company. Roofer A, I had to pay a 2% deductible and the rest of the cost covered by insurance. Roofer B, gave me a discount on my deductible and the rest of the cost covered by insurance. I went with Roofer B since it is less money out of my pocket. The insurance company pays the same amount, no matter what.
Ironman92
drumboy
AG
IronMan92 said:

Technically, if your neighbors are not paying their deductible, it is considered insurance fraud. This is crap but this is what I went through before.

My insurance company pays a fixed amount, based on the adjuster's assessment. No matter what roofer I went to, they were paid the same amount, directly from my insurance company. Roofer A, I had to pay a 2% deductible and the rest of the cost covered by insurance. Roofer B, gave me a discount on my deductible and the rest of the cost covered by insurance. I went with Roofer B since it is less money out of my pocket. The insurance company pays the same amount, no matter what.
So roofer B giving you a discount on your deductible is insurance fraud?

I've heard of roofers paying you the exact amount of the deductible to put their sign in your front yard. (wink wink)
DadAG10
IronMan92 said:

Roofer B likely cut some corners, while sending in a receipt showing that everything was completed according to the adjuster's estimate.

DadAG10
drumboy said:

So roofer B giving you a discount on your deductible is insurance fraud?

I've heard of roofers paying you the exact amount of the deductible to put their sign in your front yard. (wink wink)
Ignorance of the law is not a defense.
IronMan92
AG
Roofer B did give the "yard sign" discount & did not cut corners. He did everything quoted which was identical to Roofer A. I watched them work & watched Roofer A do my neighbors roof.

My neighbor's house is very similar to mine, but his appraiser quoted 6K more for his roof. Roofer A made alot more off their insurance than mine.

I still don't understand the insurance. There is no incentive to shop around. The insurance pays the same to any contractor. I'm not costing them anymore than they were willing to pay.
Ironman92
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.