Houston
Sponsored by

Swimming Lessons for kids Garden Oaks / Oak Forest?

2,112 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
AggieTJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having trouble finding any available instructors for the summer. We would consider a class, but individual lessons have been better in the past so that's our preference.

We also have friends/neighbors looking as well, so with the right instructor, it becomes an attractive amount of students and worth their while.

I have a pool, as does one of the neighbors, so the instructor would come to our homes (we would alternate this and we're only like 4 blocks apart).

Initial numbers: two 4-year olds, and three 1-year olds. This is up to 5 individual lessons already, and we may be able to get a few more if needed to make it work.

Do any of you have any recommendations for private instructors?
AggieWonWon
You cant teach them yourself?
AggieTJ
AG
Nope. And I used to be a swim instructor.
Keep 'em coming.
swimmerbabe11
I would be interested in working something out. I'd need to draw up a waiver of some sort, since my lifeguard certs are all lapsed.

Edit:

Could you shoot me an email address or phone number?
swimmerbabe11
Bump!

Ftr, I've taught lessons at Grapevine USD, TCU Swim Center, and Houston Swim School (don't ever take your kids there). I have lots of experience teaching water safety and swim strokes. I've also taught lots of adults to swim too.
RK
AG
i might be interested in having you come to my house and hang out in a bikini....i mean, teach swim lessons....
Ags #1
AG
We take our kids to Pengu
swimmerbabe11
Boo Weekley
TC Jester park. Offer to pay one of the lifeguards $5 to teach during adult swim.
wessimo
AG
Foster YMCA
Waltonloads08
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I would be interested in working something out. I'd need to draw up a waiver of some sort, since my lifeguard certs are all lapsed.

Edit:

Could you shoot me an email address or phone number?

I have a 3 year old in Oak Forest, looking for lessons this summer!
Waltonloads08
AG
I'd PM you, but I have a 3 year old thats done swim lessons at Pengu, but we stopped because it didn't seem like we got much out of it.

I'd join the group if there's room?
swimmerbabe11
IMO, a lot of those swim schools have curriculums that are designed to keep you in the school.. as in, they only learn small components at a time instead of a core competency that can translate with age/strength. Their goal is to keep you in the school going through their lessons.

That's just my opinion. I like the red cross curriculum much better than those that I've seen elsewhere.
Waltonloads08
AG
After doing it for a year, I would agree. Not much was learned.
04aggiegirl
AG
We love Pengu, but have found that the instructor makes all the difference. We changed instructors once. After changing, our 2.5 yr old went from not even holding his breath underwater to swimming underwater/getting himself out of the pool in a matter of weeks (one 30 min lesson/week)
UndergroundAg
Nephew is at Pengu....likes it just fine. Started not wanting to be in the water and not wanting to let go of the instructor, but is now able to swim above water. Still working on underwater. His parents are happy they don't have to drive all across town, so there's that.
Harman Rabb Jr.
Swimmer - I have a two year old and we are trying to arrange for swimming lessons for her at our home this summer. Can you shoot me an email to discuss? mseely@foley.com

Thanks
swimmerbabe11
Email sent!

Did AggieTJ run off?
AggieTJ
AG
Sorry. I tried to PM you right away but couldn't figure it out. Maybe I need to pay for a TexAgs subscription to gain that feature.
In the meantime, our instructor from last year finally contacted us and is going to work us in after all. Thanks for the great feedback though.
swimmerbabe11
Yep, PM only works with stars. I'm subscribed to this thread though, so if anything changes..let me know. That sounds like a really fun gig.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.