Houston
Sponsored by

What's the going rate for Electric?

9,646 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nomadic_ag
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a clue what I should be paying for electricity. I've been with Energy' Ogre for 3yrs now & just letting them handle it with no complaints, but just got my renewal notice.

9.5 cents with Our Energy, 12 month term. Just wanted to see if anyone had some insight?

Or I know there are other programs like EO but not sure how people like them or what they are.

Appreciate the help!
Cromagnum
AG
Getting 8.2 per Kwh flat rate for 36 months.
MrJonMan
AG
I'm always weary of the 24 month or longer contracts
MelvinUdall
MrJonMan said:

Not a clue what I should be paying for electricity. I've been with Energy' Ogre for 3yrs now & just letting them handle it with no complaints, but just got my renewal notice.

9.5 cents with Our Energy, 12 month term. Just wanted to see if anyone had some insight?

Or I know there are other programs like EO but not sure how people like them or what they are.

Appreciate the help!

Is that renewal from EO or from your current provider?
AggieWonWon
Rates going up due to lack of supply lock in
Now
sushi94
AG
ERCOT power reserve margin at 9%. Lots of power people betting prices spike this summer and next. All depends on weather.
MrJonMan
AG
My new one I'm just being enrolled in.

9.5 just seemed high, but since I haven't shopped it in years it was purely just a feeling, no idea if I was right.
94chem
Don't ask here. You need all of the qualifiers about how many kwh people use, what the base fee is, any tiering, etc. You need to go to Power to Choose, and see what the true kwh charge is for your usage. For me, I want the lowest rate for 2000 kwh.
MrJonMan
AG
I'm same basic kWh usage. With a pool, we are always 1,000-2,000, maybe a little more in June-August.
Post removed:
by user
MelvinUdall
MrJonMan said:

My new one I'm just being enrolled in.

9.5 just seemed high, but since I haven't shopped it in years it was purely just a feeling, no idea if I was right.

Thanks, I am EO and I up for renewal 5/17, and we use a bit more, closer to 2500 in the summer, probably more. The renewal Gexa sent me was like 13.5, that seemed absurd.
Cromagnum
AG
MrJonMan said:

Why? I get a cheap rate and don't have to fool with it for three years (2 more now)
MrJonMan
AG
Cromagnum said:

MrJonMan said:

Why? I get a cheap rate and don't have to fool with it for three years (2 more now)

Who are you with?
Cromagnum
AG
MrJonMan said:

Cromagnum said:

MrJonMan said:

Who are you with?

I'll verify but pretty sure I'm with Discount Power at the moment.
zidnaut
For generalized usages, the best annualized rates on PowerToChoose are posted here: http://www.texaspowerguide.com/best-electricity-rates-texas/
But you should always run the numbers for your home's particular usage profile.

MrJonMan, for the usages you posted back in May (avg=1943/mo), the cheapest 12-month plan is currently Our Energy's "Fixall Advantage Plus" at an estimated annual 9.2 /kWh + minor fees/taxes.

The cheapest rates have indeed [temporarily?] ramped up since January due to tight summer forecasts after Vistra closed several coal plants. I'd consider 12-months or maybe shorter at this point.
lostrg
Use your electric bill as emergency toilet paper
South Platte
Cromagnum said:

MrJonMan said:

That's a really low rate. Would like to know as well. I'm currently getting corncobbed by Gexa.
Diggity
AG
This is why you sign long term plans

DiskoTroop
I think I'm paying under .07?

Lemme verify.
DiskoTroop
I stand corrected... under .06

Lemme know f you go with Champion Energy. I'll send you my customer number and we both get $25 off first bill.
ktownag08
AG
The $0.095 Our Energy offer is better than either of the two rates mentioned above because it includes the TDU delivery charges. The Texas Power Guide website as well as Energy Ogre include those in their rates (you have to verify though in the Energy Facts label to know for sure). Now for some math to prove it:

Diggity's bill shows $0.0722 per kWh then has a line below it for TDU delivery charges. In the Centerpoint area (Houston), those currently run $0.041/kWh (change each month) plus $5.47/month. His effective rate is then actually over $0.11/kWh.

phideaux_2003 has a better rate with Champion Energy at $0.056, but assuming he's in the Centerpoint area his effective rate is $0.097/kWh.

I recently signed up for an Our Energy plan in early March locking me in at $0.085/kWh inclusive of TDU fees. No I don't work for Our Energy, it's just a coincidence. I do however work in the power generation industry and monitor ERCOT pricing daily. Poster above that said prices are expected to rise is correct. Most forecasts out there anticipate an increase thus locking in now for 6-12 months isn't a bad idea.

The whole marketplace is designed around teaser/tiered rates and is confusing to the average rate payer which is why Energy Ogre, Texas Power Guide, and Awesome Power sites exist. Either use one of those or build your own spreadsheet. Otherwise, your chances for success (truly lowest rate for you) are low.
Diggity
AG
ktownag08 said:

Diggity's bill shows $0.0722 per kWh then has a line below it for TDU delivery charges. In the Centerpoint area (Houston), those currently run $0.041/kWh (change each month) plus $5.47/month. His effective rate is then actually over $0.11/kWh.
I think you missed the Usage Credit. It ended up being 4 cents per kWh. Now that's not going to be the case if you shoot way over 1,000 kWh every month, but it works well for my place.
ktownag08
AG
I did indeed miss the usage credit, but you seem to have a good grasp at the games being played with rates.

Whole point was to just be clear on what you're getting.
Diggity
AG
ktownag08 said:

Whole point was to just be clear on what you're getting.
Agreed. They play so many games with pricing on these rate sheets.
one MEEN Ag
AG
https://www.awesomepowertexas.com/

They do what energy ogre does, but for free and shows you a graph of the plans on a per kilowatt basis, not just three points of 500,1000, and 2000 kwh.

They just recently went to a 'connect to your meter' account driven model. It used to just be a simple online widget. Once you know your plan, you can pay them $5 a month to keep on top of it.

AggieWonWon
Effective rate ? It's average price per kWh
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
AggieWonWon said:

Effective rate ? It's average price per kWh
...including delivery fees, which can exceed actual usage cost.
Cromagnum
AG
ktownag08 said:

The $0.095 Our Energy offer is better than either of the two rates mentioned above because it includes the TDU delivery charges. The Texas Power Guide website as well as Energy Ogre include those in their rates (you have to verify though in the Energy Facts label to know for sure). Now for some math to prove it:

phideaux_2003 has a better rate with Champion Energy at $0.056, but assuming he's in the Centerpoint area his effective rate is $0.097/kWh.

I recently signed up for an Our Energy plan in early March locking me in at $0.085/kWh inclusive of TDU fees. No I don't work for Our Energy, it's just a coincidence. I do however work in the power generation industry and monitor ERCOT pricing daily. Poster above that said prices are expected to rise is correct. Most forecasts out there anticipate an increase thus locking in now for 6-12 months isn't a bad idea.

The whole marketplace is designed around teaser/tiered rates and is confusing to the average rate payer which is why Energy Ogre, Texas Power Guide, and Awesome Power sites exist. Either use one of those or build your own spreadsheet. Otherwise, your chances for success (truly lowest rate for you) are low.

Verified. Mine is Discount Power and I have 2 years left on a 3 year plan. 8.2 center per KWh regardless of usage rate and does include all fees already.
MrJonMan
AG
ktownag08 said:

I looked at a couple of the other sites and ran the numbers, as well as just going to several different provider's sites, just as you said, Our Energy was the best. Texas Power Guide recommended the same Our Energy plan actually.

I'm just staying with what Energy Ogre gave me.

mm98
AG
I dropped EO this past fall when temps were starting to cool off and locked in at a year with Discount Power. I forget the rate but it has a usage credit that works out well for my annual usage. I used RateGrinder and it worked very well.

Last 6 bills going back to Nov 201 (kwhrs & amount due):

• 1755 and $125
  • 1661 and $116
  • 2134 and $176
  • 1704 and $131
  • 1469 and $95
  • 1536 and $103

As far as ya'll locking in now, I am always cautious about locking into a contract that ends in month with traditionally high temps. I've always done much better locking in rates that end in Oct/Nov, or March/April.

Edit - I'm in an area of Katy where our centerpoint rates are about 4 cents per KWhr, iirc.
92Ag95
AG
Gexa's offering $75 bill credit for usage between 1000-2000....drops effective rate to 7.7
aTm2004
AG
I'm pretty ignorant with all of this, so please be gentle...

Say I use 1400 kwh per month, should I be looking at a 1000 or 2000 plan? I've read a few articles and haven't found anything that states which would be best. I've read some that state that you'll save if you use exactly 1000 or 2000, but what happens to those who are in between? I'm assuming a 1000 plan (1000 - 1999 kwh I'm assuming) would be best as long as I don't go over 2000, which would mean a higher rate per kwh, correct?
Martin Q. Blank
There's no such thing as a 1000 or 2000 plans. The provider is giving you 3 hypothetical rates at 500, 1000, and 2000 kW usage.

Some will have a high rate, but give a bill credit if you use 1000 or less. So the 500 and 1000 rates will look low, but 2000 will look high. The providers get really tricky with all of their "incentives", but if you use too much or too little electricity one month, you're screwed.

Best thing to do is go on the websites above and give them access to your smart meter (and therefore historical data) and have them calculate the best plan.
stevopike
AG
any Our Energy promo/referral codes?
mm98
AG
Update for this month...Discount Power's credit usage seems to still be a solid deal.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.