Houston
Sponsored by

Green Trails vs Nottingham (77079)

8,357 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by stroodles
Hou16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We've been looking at homes in Green Trails (primarily the Estates section) as well as Nottingham and Nottingham Forrest. Interested in opinions on both areas. Is Green Trails (Pattinson, McMeans, Taylor HS) a good investment with so many families heading far west? On Nottingham, we're probably more likely to buy in Nottingham Forrest - any thoughts on Nottingham-Spring Forrest-Stratford? Budget is $600K and wanting a home that did not flood. TIA!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Howdy. I've been a Katy resident since 1999 (not a realtor). I have friends who have lived in two different homes in Nottingham. Great neighborhood with older homes. I'm not as familiar with Green Trails. I would caution you to ask about flooding at specific addresses. My friend's home is behind Kingsland Baptist Church, they did not flood but are slightly uphill and many properties nearby did.

The Fry/Kingsland intersection is, to me, too close to the reservoir. Fry Rd became Fry River just a few blocks south of that intersection (closer to Highland Knolls and was fully inundated at Westheimer Parkway).

Edit to add - McMeans is where we were putting boats into the water along Westheimer Parkway so that we could get into the neighborhoods along Fry Rd.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Stretch to get into Nottingham, east of Kirkwood if possible. You will not regret it. Fantastic schools (Wilchester, MMS, Stratford), an incredible neighborhood community, and MUCH closer to Houston. Moved to the area five years ago and haven't regretted a second. We considered Green Trails too and had the same budget.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Nottingham Forest is a great neighborhood too but the middle school is a concern. There is a reason it's so much cheaper than east of Kirkwood.
agchugger
AG
I live in GT and have friends in Nottingham. Both are great neighborhoods depending what you want in life. Nottingham will probably appreciate faster as the older homes continue to turn over but GT has appreciated pretty nicely too in the 5 years I've lived here.
1Aggie99
AG
We live east of Kirkwood but wouldn't hesitate to buy west of it. Meadow Wood Elem is good and Spring Forest MS is fine and will continue to improve.
TexCOAg
AG
When comparing Meadow Wood Elem to Nottingham Elem, are they comparable or is one better than the other?
Diggity
AG
Nottingham scores a lot better but the demographics are pretty similar.
AW96
AG
I think some of the posters are confusing subdivisions. You asked about Green Trails which is in Katy near Fry and Kingsland. The Nottingham some are referring to in their replies is Nottingham Country which is just west of Fry Rd in the same area. These neighborhoods are right next to each other and feed to some of the same schools in Katy ISD. I grew up in Nottingham Country and my parents still live there. It's easy to confuse due to name similarities and proximity.

As far as the area, I'm not sure how many homes in Green Trails flooded, but I
think there were some. I know about 5 families that live there (don't know which section) that all evacuated, but none of them flooded. To my knowledge nobody in Nottingham Country flooded. My parents live behind Kingsland Baptist as well and the water only made it about 1/3 way up the yards before receding. The flooding was bad south of Highland Knolls down past Mason off Fry and I know some people near Barker Cypress and Kingsland areas flooded.

You are asking about Nottingham and Nottingham Forest in Spring Branch ISD off Memorial. I don't have any advice, but I do know many homes in that area flooded.
FtBendTxAg
AG
It's funny to hear Katy residents talking about schools being a concern.
drumboy
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

It's funny to hear Katy residents talking about schools being a concern.

Well that crazy mom north of 10 video makes that part look pretty ghetto.
Betoisafurry
Quantum ace
AG
Memorial and Kirkwood intersection is a cluster&%# right now, but you have Pizaros and Luchi & Joeys right there. Lot of flooding in the area, but pizza and tacos.
PeekingDuck
AG
I live in Nottingham Country (older section north of Kingsland). Don't recall seeing any houses gutted due to flooding. As you head further south, maybe a ways down past Highland Knolls, there were some gutted houses. I don't know about Green Trails flooding, but I know east of Fry was much more precarious being closer to he reservoir. Both are great places to live with good schools and very convenient to the energy corridor.
drumboy
AG
My BIL/SIL live in Green Trail Oaks and they didn't flood but the streets did and pretty much everyone East & South of them did as well. We went to their house the day after our house flooded but then realized Barker Reservoir was 50 yards away and water was already rising in their hood so we go out quickly.

No clue about the schools.
Diggity
AG
streets are designed to flood in major rain events.
HDeathstar
Something to consider for Nottingham Forest: Construction at Memorial and Kirkwood intersection - should be done by August 2018. However, Memorial (Dairy Ashford to Eldridge) will continue soon. Dairy Ashford (I10 to Bayou) and Kirkwood (South of Memorial) road construction will start soon as well.

Nott Forest is a good area, but flooding occurred south of memorial. Spring Forest Middle school is not as good as memorial middle school, but is better now that they have torn down some of the old apartments zoned to it, and has fewer kids.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ugh, I knew about The kirkwood and obviously memorial construction but I didn't know Dairy Ashford was getting torn up as well.

I live in Nottingham Forrest viii (west of DA). Huge swathes of both Nottingham forrests flooded but we love the neighborhood. I'm aware that Wilchester and memorial middle are better schools than meadow wood and Nottingham elems and spring forest middle but I bet they improve markedly as more and more younger families return to Nottingham Forrest.

Nottingham elementary was on the bond replacement last fall so I think will likely be replaced sometime in the 2022ish time frame.
ceatm07
My wife and two daughters moved into Wilchester about a year ago which is just east of Nottingham and absolutely love it. We lived in Katy for 3 years and are kicking ourselves for not considering Nottingham and Wilchester when we first moved to Houston in 2014. I would vote for Nottingham (and Wilchester of course). The community is very tight and everyone is involved. Wilchester Elementary is top notch, but we do have friends who swear by Meadow Woods as well.
Diggity
AG
Wilchester is great but likely out of their budget.
71 jock
So is anything Nottingham east of Kirkwood. Not much difference between Wilchester and Nottingham these days.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Oh and FYI, pizaros is moving up to the i10 feeder.
RustyBV
AG
I'd don't like Pizaros moving off i10, worried it will lose its charm, they should've relocated to the old My Fit Foods space in their same center.
drumboy
AG
rusty v said:

I'd don't like Pizaros moving off i10, worried it will lose its charm, they should've relocated to the old My Fit Foods space in their same center.

Wonder if they're gonna remain BYOB or start selling like the one on montrose.
Diggity
AG
don't think the OP is talking about east of Kirkwood.
Al Bula
AG
I know people that live south of Katy Freeway between the EC and Grand Parkway... really makes you think
ChipFTAC01
AG
Looks like they'll get a liquor permit.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-23-18-pizaros-pizza-new-location-memorial-area-fall-2018-nicole-bean/

I think they'll regret the move. Moving out of an admittedly tired center, but at least one that's in the heart of the neighborhoods to a random strip along the freeway.
cab559
AG
Not to hijack, but I'm not sure expansion had everything to do with the move for piazaros. The contractor for memorial has screwed up access to that shopping center so bad I'm sure everyone is looking to move.
71 jock
Diggity said:

don't think the OP is talking about east of Kirkwood.

OP mentioned Nottingham and the only Nottingham is East of Kirkwood. Now Maybe he meant Nottingham West which is west of Kirkwood but I'm no mind reader.
PapaKilo
AG
We're in NF8/Westchester very near Nottingham Elementary and we love it. Nottingham has scored marginally better than Meadowwood scholastically and the demographics are slightly more Caucasian due to the number of low rent apartments behind Meadowwood. Nottingham pulls from several as well. Both are very good nevertheless. Nottingham is scheduled for rebuild in 2021 after the latest bond issuance.

There is no shortage of Aggies in NF, Westchester, NF8, Ashford Forest, etc. Four houses flying the colors on our street alone.

Good luck!
Sazerac
AG
Way more business to be had on the i10 feeder
Diggity
AG
The schools he mentioned are all for Nottingham West. As is the budget.

People outside the neighborhood don't tend to get as technical about the naming conventions.
71 jock
I don't live there but I am familiar enough with the area to know the differences between the neighborhoods. OP only stated they are likely to buy in NF then mentioned the schools, but still states Nottingham when he clearly should be stating Nottingham West. No big deal just need to be accurate if you want accurate responses.
drumboy
AG
Is this like the OTL version of "Washington Heights is NOT the Heights"?
Quantum ace
AG
71 jock said:

I don't live there but I am familiar enough with the area to know the differences between the neighborhoods. OP only stated they are likely to buy in NF then mentioned the schools, but still states Nottingham when he clearly should be stating Nottingham West. No big deal just need to be accurate if you want accurate responses.
https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/nottinghamhouston--houston--tx/

Nextdoor seems to think there is a Nottingham west of DA. Please direct your ire to them. Clearly they need the help.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.