Houston
Sponsored by

Need some advise on where to decide to move in the Spring and the Woodlands

1,667 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieSam02
CheladaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted in the Real Estate but wanted those in the Houston forum's take.

Wife and I are having some conflict on where to raise our 3 children eduction wise. My kids are ages 3, 8 and 9 years old. My wife wants to move into a smaller,older and more expensive home to be in the Woodlands proper and be in one of the best schools (the Woodland h.s.). I on the other hand think we can still have very good education for our kids living in the more newer areas that don't have the reputation as the Woodlands. Anyone have any take on this kind of situation?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Move to El Paso. This town is full.
BowSowy
AG
Doesn't matter what's said here, your wife wants the Woodlands so you'll end up in the Woodlands.
Ag_07
AG
boyz05 said:

I posted in the Real Estate but wanted those in the Houston forum's take.

No you dont

And Rule 1 on the wife
Jock 07
AG
Good news. The woodlands is only a 30 min commute to downtown.
Win At Life
AG
You need to be more specific about the "other " HS district area you are thinking about for a valid comparison.
aggiedent
AG
When are they changing the name to Concretelands?
TXTransplant
I'm in The Woodlands, zoned to Tomball ISD. I've been very happy with the schools and like the fact that Tomball high school isn't as big as the ones in The Woodlands. The downside is Tomball High School is not at all conveniently located for where we live. But the elementary school and jr high are all within walking/biking distance, so it's a trade-off.

Other school zones in the area are Klein, Magnolia, and Montgomery. There are other high schools in addition to The Woodlands High and Woodlands College Park that are also part of Conroe ISD. I've heard good things about them all.

The one school zone that I would definitely avoid up here is Spring ISD. There are some new/expensive houses near the XOM campus that are zoned to Spring.
Al Bula
AG
boyz05 said:

More expensive home to be in the Woodlands proper and be in one of the best schools (the Woodland h.s.).
What is expensive in your opinion?

Quote:

the more newer areas that don't have the reputation as the Woodlands
Let's hear more about this "reputation."
Here4Beer
AG
Look in the Creekside area of the Woodlands. It's Tomball ISD which is a good School district
fairrobh
AG
I side with you. This is not a popular opinion, but it really doesn't matter which school district you are in. Academically, kids either have it or they don't and they will find their level.
CheladaAg
AG
RPM said:

boyz05 said:

More expensive home to be in the Woodlands proper and be in one of the best schools (the Woodland h.s.).
What is expensive in your opinion?

Quote:

the more newer areas that don't have the reputation as the Woodlands
Let's hear more about this "reputation."
I think anything above $130/sq ft is getting in the expensive territory.

As some mentioned below, Creekside or Woodforest are new, nicer options but don't carry the academic reputation as the schools inside the Woodlands have (elementary thru H.S.).
Win At Life
AG
I think all those you have suggested are both slightly different and substantially similar at the same time as long as you avoid Klien Forest. The thing that can have the biggest impact on their "education " is the particular friends they get involved with and that's a bit of a crap shoot equal at any of these.
CheladaAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

I'm in The Woodlands, zoned to Tomball ISD. I've been very happy with the schools and like the fact that Tomball high school isn't as big as the ones in The Woodlands. The downside is Tomball High School is not at all conveniently located where we live. But the elementary school and jr high are all within walking/biking distance, so it's a trade-off.

Other school zones in the area are Klein, Magnolia, and Montgomery. There are other high schools in addition to The Woodlands High and Woodlands College Park that are also part of Conroe ISD. I've heard good things about them all.

The one school zone that I would definitely avoid up here is Spring ISD. There are some new/expensive houses near the XOM campus that are zoned to Spring.
Thanks for the input. We're looking at areas that are in Magnolia, Montgomery and Tomball, which I've heard mostly good things about. My wife has been talking to her buddies that moved to the Woodlands recently and they have been talking up all these good things the schools have offered and done for their kids versus where they came from and the wife is buying into it. She has also been reviewing the school ratings on HAR, not sure how accurate they are.
TXTransplant
boyz05 said:

TXTransplant said:

I'm in The Woodlands, zoned to Tomball ISD. I've been very happy with the schools and like the fact that Tomball high school isn't as big as the ones in The Woodlands. The downside is Tomball High School is not at all conveniently located where we live. But the elementary school and jr high are all within walking/biking distance, so it's a trade-off.

Thanks for the input. We're looking at areas that are in Magnolia, Montgomery and Tomball, which I've heard mostly good things about. My wife has been talking to her buddies that moved to the Woodlands recently and they have been talking up all these good things the schools have offered and done for their kids versus where they came from and the wife is buying into it. She has also been reviewing the school ratings on HAR, not sure how accurate they are.

I'm in Creekside and have been thrilled with the schools so far. I originally wanted to be in the "old" part of The Woodlands because I wanted my kiddo to have access to the math and science academy at Woodlands College Park. But when I moved here, the housing market was crazy, and I couldn't find anything that I both liked and could afford.

At the $130/sq ft price point, you are going to get a nicer, newer, bigger house in Creekside. New construction is well above that price, but you could easily find something that's 5-10 years old. That's a harder price to target in the original part of The Woodlands, but not impossible. It's just going to be older and probably need some updating.

There was some flooding in Creekside, but it was all on the west side of Kuykendahl, and a good realtor and/or message board can tell you exactly what streets were affected. The development on the east side of Kuykendahl was fine. There was also some flooding in the original part of The Woodlands, along Flintridge, between Panther Creek and Gosling, and of course Timber Creek/Timber Ridge.

You can easily get a new (or nearly new) house in Woodforest (with all the upgrades and amenities one would expect in a new house) for $130/sq ft.

With that said, I don't think your kids are going to be happier in one district or another. They can get a great education and be involved in lots of activities in all of the ones I listed in my previous post. The bigger issues are probably the house and your commute, both of which will affect your wife's happiness. At your price point, I don't think there is any reason to sacrifice on the house or make your commute worse (there are certain areas of The Woodlands that it can take 20-30 min just to get to 45) just to be in a specific school district. They are all good.
The Lurker
AG
If you want a newer home I know some of the new developments around 1488 Magnolia/Conroe advertise they are zoned for The Woodlands schools.
Fall92
AG
PM sent.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
AggieSam02
AG
All new highly rated schools in the Benders Landing, Harmony, Woodson's Reserve, Falls at Imperial Oaks areas.

Conroe ISD

new high school Grand Oaks opening this fall.

Lots of new development between 45 and 59 on the Grand Parkway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.