Houston
Sponsored by

Speeding Ticket Help

2,670 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NC Ag
NC Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have been fortunate enough to never had a speeding ticket. Our 18 year son is not. He got an 81 in a 55 heading into Galveston last night after prom. After reading up online, it appears he is not in great shape since he was 26 MPH over the posted limit. He has no other tickets but since he is over the 25 MPH will the JP allow him to take defensive driving? Do we have any options?
ATM9000
AG
Speeding ticket? Damn... hope he ends up in the Vance Unit in Richmond and not in Huntsville.
LostInLA07
AG
Hire a traffic lawyer. They are fairly cheap and, in my experience, worth more than the small amount they charge.

We've had good experiences with this group:
http://www.highwaylawyers.com/

I don't know why but their default approach is you go to court with them. We've always said we'd rather not spend our time doing that and they always appear on our behalf without us present.
bigjag19
AG
Where was he
Al Bula
AG
NC Ag said:

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to never had a speeding ticket. Our 18 year son is not. He got an 81 in a 55 heading into Galveston last night after prom.
request body cam evidence of car and his date.
BigPuma
AG
my money is on the causeway
fire09
AG
Sullo and Sullo are cheap and work well. my last ticket was for 26+ mph over and they got it dismissed. Cost me 150 bucks.
Bregxit
AG
Call the court listed on the ticket and ask if he can do deferred adjudication of he thinks he can keep his nose clean for 3-6 months.
The Wonderer
AG
Hire a traffic attorney. 26+ bars defensive driving; you'll have to shoot for deferred to keep it off his record.
Rexter
Where are all of the "just pay it since he was caught, and is guilty" people?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I don't know why but their default approach is you go to court with them. We've always said we'd rather not spend our time doing that and they always appear on our behalf without us present.
You have to go to traffic court often enough to have a routine? Maybe you and the mrs. should consider not being criminals.
LostInLA07
AG
I have nothing on my record
agz win
AG
Have Santa bring him a Valentine One radar detector as an early Christmas gift and urge him to slow down.

htxag09
AG
If my kid is doing 81 in a 55, he's damn sure not getting a radar detector from me....
94chem
Why was he in such a hurry?
bigjag19
AG
Who here hasn't hit 90 on the causeway?
IrishTxAggie
AG
94chem said:

When you were 18 and it was prom night, weren't you in a hurry to get somewhere too? Give it a little thought...
randy828
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

94chem said:

When you were 18 and it was prom night, weren't you in a hurry to get somewhere too? Give it a little thought...
BigPuma
AG
bigjag19 said:

Who here hasn't hit 90 on the causeway?
Ronnie
AG
Wow, 26 mph over exactly. Tough luck.

I agree with the advice of a traffic/speeding ticket lawyer
Mr.Ackar07
Ronnie said:

Wow, 26 mph over exactly. Tough luck.

I agree with the advice of a traffic/speeding ticket lawyer
I think you'd be amazed at how many 26 mph over the speed limit tickets are written. It wouldn't surprise me if they bumped a few to 26 over just to do so, and it wouldn't surprise me if the wrote down speeds to just 26 mph over if your record is otherwise clean.
Ronnie
AG
Yeah that's what I meant with my emoji with the roll eyes. Cops love to just BS a number and especially a kid will just have to take it because you taught them to respect officers.
schmendeler
AG
55 could easily be 65. 81 in a 65 isn't that bad.
drumboy
AG
I got several tickets as a teenager (delivering pizzas most of the time) and I doubt my parents ever went on a forum asking for advice on how to help their teenage son deal with his first world problems.

I did have a cop lower a 28 over (in a 30) to 24 over when a friend of mine that knew her asked her nicely. I had to meet her and trade tickets.
agz win
AG
Odds of your kid "having to take it" go down if he's aware a ticket writer's radar is on and pointed at him.
Liquid Wrench
Knowing doesn't always get your speed down fast enough.
bigjag19
AG
Also waze helps sometimes.
NC Ag
AG
Appreciate the info, jokes, etc. He was on San Luis Pass, fine is $304. Deffered disposition appears to be the route he will go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.