Houston
Sponsored by

Man levels 3-decades-old bullying charge against Katy ISD's superintendent

36,589 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by vansprinkle
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man levels 3-decades-old bullying charge against Katy ISD's superintendent at public session

Well since another man has come forward it sure sounds like Hindt is guilty.

lol, people never learn to just admit their mistakes, apologize and move on. He was just a kid. Nobody would've cared. I predict this will not end well for the superintendent as there will be plenty more witnesses to come.

He missed a perfect opportunity to reconcile with this guy and look like a good man.

Quote:

Fox 26 has since spoken with a classmate of both men who says he witnessed the bathroom attack and identified Hindt as the lead perpetrator.

"Lance Hindt was one of the biggest bullies in school," said the classmate.
cajunaggie08
AG
but its ok now because only God can judge him. Didn't you see the Katy ISD confessional/praise session board meeting?
Hulla Baller
AG
Who gives a ****?
Bregxit
AG
All kinds of dirt being dug up on this guy. Multiple bullying victims, lawsuit for beating a guy into a coma. Katy ISD is looking bad with their standing behind him fully crap.
BigPuma
AG
I am so damn ****ing sick of seeing this **** all over facebook.

There are a handful of people that have super hardons for trying to get the guy fired and frankly i am tired of it.
BrazosDog02
AG
I would have preferred the victim show up, walk up to the podium and sucker punch the super right in the throat.

I was a kid that was bullied for a semester before physically assaulting a bully and realizing its the only way to fix a bully.

Zero tolerance for it.

Hopefully that super will pay big. He's just as much a bully now as he was then. He regressed to a child in the video. Sooner or later, you pay for your mistakes in life, nows his turn.

I hope it ruins him financially.
rhoswen
AG
I'm still trying to figure out how a guy who beat up a guy and put him in coma was ever able to be superintendent in the first place.
MAROON
AG
because it happened in high school and the charges were dismissed after a settlement was reached

Would you really want the things you did in high school to be brought up in your next job interview?

Look this guy is probably a dick, but the game of gotcha that is going on this world now is just pitiful.
tylercsbn9
AG
Because the guy that sued him got nothing in the court case so he was probably able to explain it away.

Supposedly Hindts parents paid a settlement out of court
Bregxit
AG
MAROON said:

because it happened in high school and the charges were dismissed after a settlement was reached

Would you really want the things you did in high school to be brought up in your next job interview?

Look this guy is probably a dick, but the game of gotcha that is going on this world now is just pitiful.

I would hope a responsible school district would not install someone as superintendent who beat a person into a coma regardless of when it happened. Actions have consequences.

If the super would have acknowledged his bad behavior with the guy and apologized right off the bat I would guess this would have been quashed at that point.
BrazosDog02
AG
Pretty much this. As an adult, you SHOULD have the ability to understand mistakes and the effects they had on people. This should allow you to properly recognize and empathize with a victim and sincerely apologize for being a dirtbag. Often times, child dirtbags become adult dirtbags.

This guy is a dirtbag.

He exhibits common traits of a psychopathic individual. Probably not the kind you want on the board.
PJYoung
AG
If he would've acknowledged that the guy was correct and apologized after a WEEK then it would've been fine. Instead he doubled down still as arrogant and cocky as he was in school with his gang of friends looking for the weakest victim to beat down in a bathroom.
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

The lawsuit alleges then 18-year-old Lawrence Hindt left a party on the night of Feb. 18, 1983. The lawsuit claims there were large amounts of alcohol and drugs, and that junior high students were present.

The lawsuit says as he was taking his girlfriend home in his car, he encountered William Stein, who had just returned home from having dinner with his wife. Stein hollered for the teen to stop speeding.

"The automobile came to a sudden halt. It then backed up and the driver got out of the automobile and rapidly approached me venting anger while I was standing on the edge of my driveway and alleyway," Stein described in the lawsuit.

Hindt allegedly shoved Stein against the neighbor's fence, striking the man in the ribs with his fist.

Stein blacked out, only to awaken five days later from a coma on Feb. 23, 1983.

According to the lawsuit, Stein suffered blunt trauma to the head and face, resulting in a skull fracture, lacerations of the upper lip, contusion and an injury to his right eyelid.

"Also, there was separation of the right shoulder joint and fracture, plus fractures to the 3rd and 4th ribs," the statement reads in the lawsuit. "I do not feel I have fully recovered at this date due to weakness in right arm and dizziness caused by the trauma to the right side of the head."

Quote:

Hindt responded to the lawsuit by alleging Stein pulled him from his car by the hair, and Hindt punched him a single time.

The Katy athlete, who went on to University of Oklahoma on a full football scholarship, admitted he never sought medical help for Stein.

The lawsuit also alleged Hindt had been involved in more than a single fight in the five years leading up to Stein's beating, a fact Hindt never denied.

In the end, the now-Katy ISD superintendent never faced a penalty, with the exception of splitting the court costs linked to the lawsuit with the boy who threw the February 1983 party.

Katy ISD board president Ashley Vann released this statement Tuesday night:
The 1983 civil case was fully and finally dismissed, after litigation, with no damages or liability. No criminal charges were ever filed. Again, as stated in the March 26 Board meeting, the Board fully vetted Dr. Lance Hindt and we continue to stand firmly behind him as our superintendent.
BrazosDog02
AG
Good ol boys club is about to have to pay dues.
Post removed:
by user
Bregxit
AG
Sasappis said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Pretty much this. As an adult, you SHOULD have the ability to understand mistakes and the effects they had on people. This should allow you to properly recognize and empathize with a victim and sincerely apologize for being a dirtbag. Often times, child dirtbags become adult dirtbags.

This guy is a dirtbag.

He exhibits common traits of a psychopathic individual. Probably not the kind you want on the board.

Why do you think he is a dirt bag? Please be specific.

I know I made plenty of mistakes in high school and hope that I would not have my entire life judged by my actions as a teenager.

What has he done in the past 40 years?

Not owning up to his mistakes when confronted would seem to rank up there amongst reasons for being a dirtbag.
TXTransplant
Sasappis said:

BrazosDog02 said:

This guy is a dirtbag.

Why do you think he is a dirt bag? Please be specific.

I know I made plenty of mistakes in high school and hope that I would not have my entire life judged by my actions as a teenager.

What has he done in the past 40 years?
We all get judged by our previous actions/mistakes all of the time.

I am a patent agent. To even be eligible to sit for the patent bar exam, I had to fill out a form that included questions asking if I had ever been "arrested, charged, or held by Federal, State, or other law enforcement authorities for any violation of any Federal or State law, or any country or municipal law, regulation, or ordinance? (Do not include any misdemeanor before your 16th birthday or traffic violations for which the fine was $100.00 or less.)".

So, the USPTO can disqualify applicants for simply having been arrested (for anything) after the age of 16, even if never convicted.

Had this guy wanted to be a patent agent, he would have had to disclose the fight that occurred when he was 18 (assuming he was arrested; the quoted article does say that charges were dropped, so it sounds like he was).

This guy is a superintendent. A big part of his job is making sure that students follow the rules and enforcing those rules when they are violated. He is also charged with preventing and dealing with bullying, which is a huge issue in schools (arguably bigger than it ever has been before because of anonymous, online bullying).

Not to mention, 18 is considered to be an adult, regardless of whether or not you are still in high school. And beating another man into a coma isn't the same thing as some stupid teenage prank.

As a parent, I wouldn't trust this guy to be able to manage any of the tasks listed above, ESPECIALLY considering how he reacted to the man who confronted him about the bullying. Even if he's a "changed man", he did not react to this situation in a way that reflects favorably on himself or the school district at all. This situation may not justify termination or forced resignation, but at the very least he should be counseled on how to handle himself better when confronted/challenged about something in a public forum.

Schools should be asking these types of questions before hiring people into the system, and we should be holding educators to a higher standard (same with law enforcement officers). It might help weed out some of the bad apples we all too often hear about.
Ag_07
AG
I don't hold the bullying against him as that was a long time ago. We're all different than we were in HS. But I hold his reaction to this against him.

If he'd of stood up, walked over to the guy, gave him a hug, shook his hand, and apologized like a man I'd respect the hell out of him. These two would be doing every national morning show together and using their exposure as a platform both for anti bullying but also pro forgiveness and making amends for your past wrongs.

Instead he leaned backed and laughed. Fck this guy and I hope this ruins his ass both professionally and personally. He deserves all the crap coming his way.
PJYoung
AG
Its not even that he laughed. He lied about it after having time to think. He decided to run from it and basically call his accuser a liar instead of apologizing and moving on. A week later he still didn't apologize or admit to anything. He hid behind God as his sole judge.
TXTransplant
PJYoung said:

Its not even that he laughed. He lied about it after having time to think. He decided to run from it and basically call his accuser a liar instead of apologizing and moving on. A week later he still didn't apologize or admit to anything. He hid behind God as his sole judge.

And despite being an educator (with a PhD), he has failed to even recognize the teachable moment he could have turned this into. As a parent, I would have commended the man if he took this as opportunity to be the example to kids about how bad decisions can come back to haunt you, but you can overcome that by taking responsibility and apologizing for your mistakes. Instead, he's shown the kids in his district that are bullies that all you have to do is lie and publicly ridicule your victims.
W
AG
classic case of the cover-up being worse than the crime
phillyag92
AG
Went on to play at ou. All you need to know.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
His reaction to this tells me all I need to know about whether he's an ass hole or not.

The verdict is...He's an ass hole dirt bag.
TXTransplant
Sasappis said:

You actually gave a perfect example of not having your entire life judged by stupid teenage crap.

I know plenty of lawyers, including many patent lawyers, who had screwup s very similar to this alleged assault when they were young. They disclose those mistakes to the bar and the totality of the person is evaluated and not just one incident. If the person is reformed or it appears to be a one off incident then the people get to sit for the bar exam.

As I said, I would not want my entire life judged by the mistakes I made while in high school. I do not see that this guys mistakes were serious enough to rise to the level where he should be judged by only his high school acts.

That was exactly my point with that example and my last comment. School districts should be asking potential employees questions similar to what the USPTO asks. As you pointed out, they will still have the ability to judge applicants on the sum total of their lives and not just one incident, but it also speaks volumes of someone's character if they answer those questions truthfully in the first place. However, I don't think most districts (or any employers, for that matter) are asking for this kind of information. And it is sad that we hold lawyers and patent agents to a higher standard than people who educate our children.

And maybe I'm naive, but is it really that hard to find qualified teachers and superintendents that the only choice is to hire someone who was arrested for assault? I'm certainly not perfect, but in 39 years, I've managed to never be arrested for anything, much less arrested for intentionally injuring someone so severely that they were hospitalized.

Or maybe it's just that employers hire really incompetent companies to do background checks. I worked with someone who shot six people, killing three of them. Twenty four years earlier, when she was 21, she shot and killed her own brother under suspicious circumstances. She was taken into custody but never charged because she and her parents insisted it was an accident. The university where the mass shooting occurred claimed they couldn't have possibly known about the previous incidents from a background check because she was never charged. Yet it took every major news outlet less than 24 hours to find the info about the brother (as well as the fact that she had also been questioned in 1993 about sending a pipe bomb to a supervisor).
Post removed:
by user
BrazosDog02
AG
Sasappis said:

As I said, I would not want my entire life judged by the mistakes I made while in high school. I do not see that this guys mistakes were serious enough to rise to the level where he should be judged by only his high school acts.

You serious, Clark?
TXTransplant
Sasappis said:

Or maybe, he disclosed the arrest and they decided to hire him being aware of it? Or maybe he had the arrest expunged and there is no record of it and he is allowed to answer "no" to the question when asked if he has ever been arrested.

You are assuming he lied about the arrest and failed to disclose it. Neither you nor I know the answer to that question.

I'm not assuming that he lied...I'm assuming the school district never asked. That could be a completely incorrect assumption (although, based on my experience, it's probably not).

My point was that school districts SHOULD be asking all potential employees very specific questions about arrests/criminal histories - if for no other reason than it is SO easy for anyone to go on the internet and find criminal records (even those that are decades old).

If the federal government can ask about an arrest (even if it never resulted in a conviction or any charges being filed), so can school districts.

And if the district did know about this guy's record prior to hiring him as superintendent, then I would think they would (or will) release a statement to that effect. If they do not, then that kind of leaves them looking like they dropped the ball.

Post removed:
by user
tylercsbn9
AG
I don't think he faced criminal charges for the assault where the guy was in a coma. Why I have no idea. It was just a civil case.

He did get a DUI in college I believe.

He also wasn't the one that laughed at the guy accusing him of bullying. It was another board member apparently.
Rubicante
AG
We shouldn't judge someone on being unrepentant about being a bully in school if they are Superintendent of a school district during a time when school bullying is driving kids to suicide?

There are your dime-a-dozen kids who tease other children, and then you have sadists like this who make kids end up in therapy or dead. A ruined career would simply be an arrival of karma 40 years late.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm not sticking up for the guy's alleged bullying. But two things right off the bat that we might want to consider: First, ever have an argument with your wife about what was said in a conversation or who did what last week because even though she's wrong, the two of you remember it differently? Now try words or actions 30-40 years ago when you were both kids...think two people might see things differently? Especially when one person hasn't given a second thought to it in all that time? It's one of the main reasons we have a statute of limitations of 2 years on most personal injury lawsuits...even eye witnesses become unreliable over time.

Second, if you've attended enough open mic public meetings, you've heard some crazy people speak their mind. If you're this superintendent, you've no doubt heard your fair share of crazys. It wouldn't be too hard to mistake a 30-40 year old bullying accusation from out of the blue from some guy you don't recognize as a crank running his mouth. Imagine if some stranger interrupted your next business meeting with an emotional announcement that you hurt him four decades ago...think you might guffaw?
bigjag19
AG
If it was just words I could see your point.

I would probably always remember shoving a guys face into a urinal.
PJYoung
AG
You guys are ignoring the fact a second witness came forward pretty quickly calling Hindt one of the biggest bullies to ever come thru that school. He said he walked into the bathroom during the attack and has always been ashamed he didn't do something to stop it.

He apologized to the victim years ago. So it's not he said she said. The attack sending an adult into a 5 day coma in which Hindts family had to pay 5 figures is another piece of damning evidence. That alone shouldn't disqualify him from a great career as an adult IMO, but his reaction after a WEEK of being confronted raises serious questions for me.

Hindt had a week to mull it over and instead of apologizing or admitting guilt had a pep rally at the board meeting. That is pure BS and not the actions of a leader.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.