Houston
Sponsored by

Sushi Spots

5,194 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
blazer18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best sushi places in Houston? Looking for something a little more casual than Uptown Sushi and Kata Robata, but burnt out on Blue Fish.
drumboy
AG
I always like Oishii for casual sushi.
RynoAg
AG
Oishii!
DiskoTroop
KUU

***ETA - sorry you said more casual. KUU is a bit fancy.

Try Eurasia off ... uhhh... Blalock? Wirt? Somewhere out there between SB and Heights
drumboy
AG
Eurasia looks good and not far from my, I'm going to try it soon.

Oishii can have a long wait lots of times but you can brown bag a beer or two from the convenience store next door. You'll need a sack cause of the off duty HPD guy Oishii hires for security.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
the Jin on Dairy Ashford
Stat Monitor Repairman
KA Sushi on Shepherd.
LondonAg89
AG
Kata Robata. Ask for Shon or Thai as your waiters. Reserve online and ask for them. You will not be sorry. Best sushi in Houston (Hugo and tracey eat there - from Hugo's fame - and so does JJ Watt FWIW)
BMX Bandit
LondonAg89 said:

Kata Robata. Ask for Shon or Thai as your waiters. Reserve online and ask for them. You will not be sorry. Best sushi in Houston (Hugo and tracey eat there - from Hugo's fame - and so does JJ Watt FWIW)

Kata Robata as a suggestion for alternative to Kata Robata is strong texaging
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The Sunoco station at the corner of Cullen and Old Spanish Trail has some pretty awesome casual sushi.
Ronnie Mund
HEB
HeightsAg
Big fan of Aka Sushi on West Alabama - great quality at good prices.
Cromagnum
AG
Masa (Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood) has you covered on the SE side.

Japaneros for the SW over in Sugarland.
LondonAg89
AG
Hahaha. Just read the title of the thread
LondonAg89
AG
Round 2 - go to Kata's sister restaurant Azuma in West U.
Gig-Em2003
AG
IrishTxAggie
AG
Akashi and Asahi

Both in MedCenter over by NRG. They look like crap, but the sushi is great
K Bo
AG
Teppay at Westheimer and Voss
RK
AG

Quote:

Round 2 - go to Kata's sister restaurant Azuma in West U
we have been a couple of times recently and it was no good. service and sushi.
TXAG 05
AG
drumboy said:

Eurasia looks good and not far from my, I'm going to try it soon.

Oishii can have a long wait lots of times but you can brown bag a beer or two from the convenience store next door. You'll need a sack cause of the off duty HPD guy Oishii hires for security.

Eurasia is good and they also have a great happy hour specials on the rolls
MAROON
AG
Osaka on Bellaire at Stella Link. Hole in the wall, but I like it. Plus you get a free appetizer and free ice cream.

Also, Izakaya-Wa at Memorial near the beltway is an awesome place.
young eugene
AG
Sushi Tora on studemont
Finn Maccumhail
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Akashi and Asahi

Both in MedCenter over by NRG. They look like crap, but the sushi is great

I don't know about the MedCenter location but Akashi has probably 3-4 locations around town and the one on the Upper East Side is excellent. I presume their other locations would be as well.
The Milkman
AG
LondonAg89 said:

Whenever I see someone say "ask for XXX" when it comes to a waiter I chuckle. I can't imagine ever doing that. What are they really doing that's so far ahead of the rest of the waitstaff
DiskoTroop
The right waiter can make a dining experience, especially with a cuisine you may not be familiar with.

The first time my wife and I went to KUU we had this outstanding waiter who made recommendations for us and brought out several dishes that were in our price range. He helped tailor our meal to our budget and helped us maximize the experience without going overboard. He explained to us what the dishes were (Which was important due to food allergies) and even told us how to eat several of them that were foreign to us. He told us what flavors to expect and look for and elaborated on what made these ingredients so high quality. Because of the depth of knowledge we had going into each dish we truly enjoyed it much more than we would have had the waiter simply set the plate down on the table and left.

That was two years ago and we're still friends with that waiter even though he's moved on to Reil.
Ag_07
AG
Well this thread is about to get REAL good.
BrianJ844
My wife and I have been fans of Sozo Sushi at San Felipe and Post Oak Blvd recently. We used to be big Oishii fans and still go there on occasion but really dig Sozo now.

Brian
RK
AG
I feel like if i'm dining at French Laundry or ordering a $500/btl of wine, I could use some above-average input. Outside of that, I generally want to speak with the waiter as little as possible (as, i'm sure, does he/she).
Panama Red
AG
I have seen every episode of Top Chef, and follow both Bobby Flay AND Charlie Trotter on twitter. I have more depth of knowledge than any waiter could ever dream of.
Ronnie Mund
"Hi, are Shon or Thai working tonight? They were recommended by LondonAg89 on TexAgs. It's uh, an internet message board."
Aggie Rick
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

The right waiter can make a dining experience, especially with a cuisine you may not be familiar with.

The first time my wife and I went to KUU we had this outstanding waiter who made recommendations for us and brought out several dishes that were in our price range. He helped tailor our meal to our budget and helped us maximize the experience without going overboard. He explained to us what the dishes were (Which was important due to food allergies) and even told us how to eat several of them that were foreign to us. He told us what flavors to expect and look for and elaborated on what made these ingredients so high quality. Because of the depth of knowledge we had going into each dish we truly enjoyed it much more than we would have had the waiter simply set the plate down on the table and left.

That was two years ago and we're still friends with that waiter even though he's moved on to Reil.
Do you join him and your wife for the three-way or just watch from the corner?
@Aggie_Rick
Ag_07
AG
I like the move of going into a high end restaurant and giving the waiter a price range.
MAS444
AG
Clap. Clap. Clap.
GoneGirl
AG
If you're in Baytown, go to Nara Thai on Garth and ask for their sushi menu. You won't regret it.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
DiskoTroop
Ag_07 said:

I like the move of going into a high end restaurant and giving the waiter a price range.

It might be more common that you think. Omakase is the Japanese term for it I think and it almost every time includes the sushi chef asking what your desired total spend would be.

Plus sushi chefs and waiters in sushi restaurants love diners putting their meal in their hands to... for lack of a better term, curate. You'll typically wind up with a dish or two on the house just to round out the meal. Happens almost every time we do it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.