Houston
Sponsored by

Corkscrew BBQ?

6,474 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DiskoTroop
CalTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally making it out to Corkscrew on Thursday for lunch...
After reading old comments about running out of bbq and long lines, I'm a little hesitant.

If we show up at say 11:30am on Thursday, is there a long long wait? No tables available?
Or should it be ok?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
No idea as I've not yet had the pleasure of dining there.

But thanks in advance for the review!
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I've been on a Tuesday and got there at 10:45ish and was number 26 in line I think.

Never been on a Thursday but you can expect at least a short wait at that time. Most locals know it fills up fast so that may be an ok time.
Ag_07
AG
Just keep in mind that quite a few people don't work on Fridays so Thursday is their Friday. I would expect it to be busier to some extend than say a Tuesday.
The Milkman
AG
Only experience is on Saturdays so I have nothing to add. However that is a phenomenal BBQ meal so enjoy
ktownag08
AG
They won't run out at that time. Line will likely be out the door, but it moves quick.

Really good BBQ, enjoy!
Fall92
AG
What Ktown said- don't be discouraged by the line as it does move pretty fast. If you get there by 11:30 you should be okay. I would go closer to 11 though if you can.
DiskoTroop
It supposed to be fantastic!! Bring some back to the house for the nanny... maybe I'll get some!

We're doing Brisket House Thursday night with a buddy from work who's in from Chicago. It's my current favorite in town but I haven't had Corkscrew yet, of Ronnie Killen's.
Rick Dalton
AG
I got emotional the first time I had their brisket. May have wept a little.

I would try to move it up 11am if possible. But as others have said, line moves quickly. You'll be ok. And it's worth the wait.
jja79
AG
Weekdays are hit or miss as far as the line. If the weather is nice it's likely to be long.

If you go on a Saturday and get there around 10 it's a fun time. Get a number and youll have an hour to socialuze and you'll be on the road home by noon.

Take some friends and make some new ones on the porch.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Waiting for the recap...

I'm a certified BBQ snob and have not yet tried Corkscrew. Attempted once, back when they were still in the parking lot. By the time I arrived, the line was ridiculous. Had no idea it was that popular until then.
CalTex
I'm not a BBQ snob but I'd rate this place as one of the best.

The morning didn't go as planned, so we arrived later than we wanted.. at 12:15, and the line was out the door. Maybe 10 people waiting outside the door. The line moved fairly quickly. I think 30 minutes in line before we were able to order our food. I was surprised - there seemed to be inside seating available most of the time. I guess a lot of people get their BBQ to-go.

Very good sliced beef. I got 1/2 lb mix (half moist and half lean). Can't go wrong with either.
I also got two sides: potato salad and bbq beans... both very good.

Mrs CalTex got a loaded baked potato with chopped beef and we shared an apple cobbler.

Would I go again and wait 30-40 minutes? Absolutely! We did notice that around 1:30pm the line shrunk to only 3-4 people for a while then soon after, the line went out the door again. I didn't seen any "Sold Out" signs.

The ribs looked very good so next time I'll probably give them a try.
Texas A&M
I've learned to only go on rainy week days.
jja79
AG
Pork ribs are outstanding. If you go on a saturday get a chicken to go. I don't even like BBQ chicken but it's outstanding. Saturday is the only day they have chickens and beef ribs.
wessimo
AG
Dear diary,

I had 2 hours to kill while my kid was at a BD party in Spring so I decided I might as well go and see if this place lives up to the hype.

At 11:15 the line was across the front and down the side of the building. Fortunately I was able to order a beer from an employee who estimated 1 hour wait from my spot.

I didn't actually get my food until 1pm, which meant I didn't have time to eat it before collecting my kid from the party. Finally got back home around 1:45 to unwrap my meal.

The moist brisket was very good and the ribs were decent. The smoked beans were above average and the potato salad tasted ok but the texture kind of weird, almost foamy.

If I had to do it again, with my two hours I would have just gone to Rudy's for lunch and then visited a nearby brewery for an hour or so.
BarryProfit
Shoulda just gone to the church
drumboy
AG
Rudy's then Hurricane Harbor (splash town) for some good people watching.

Or a brewery.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
BCG Disciple
AG
Corkscrew is the best in the Houston area. Also, a place at grand parkway and 59 called the rusty buckle that is probably my number 2 at this point. Also like truth.

Is this a general bbq thread discussion?
BQRyno
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Corkscrew is the best in the Houston area. Also, a place at grand parkway and 59 called the rusty buckle that is probably my number 2 at this point. Also like truth.

Is this 59 and grand parkway northeast of town? I live near 59 and grand parkway on the southwest side and always forget they intersect again. I was excited to try a new good bbq place.
12th Man Ag
AG
BQRyno said:

BCG Disciple said:

Is this 59 and grand parkway northeast of town? I live near 59 and grand parkway on the southwest side and always forget they intersect again. I was excited to try a new good bbq place.

Rusty Buckle is in New Caney. 59N and 99
DiskoTroop
Firecraft BBQ will have a brick and mortar soon... that's my number one in Houston right now.
Al Bula
AG
BCG Disciple said:

no, it is a general backyard thread discussion.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Corkscrew does order pickup now. Who waits in line for an hour
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me." - Psalm 23:4
JimmyHouston
AG
Corkscrew has the best cobbler in the state - anyone figure out a recipe that is similar?
wessimo
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Corkscrew does order pickup now. Who waits in line for an hour

Somebody who decides to go on a whim.

Good point though, if you're planning a trip, order in advance for pickup. Order slots do fill up.
Diggity
AG
here's the secret...lots of butter and sugar
JimmyHouston
AG
Fair enough!
jja79
AG
I haven't been in a couple of years but here's a good review.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/grilling/grilling-central-photos/regional-barbecue-road-trip--texas
TAM85
Tejas Chocolate & BBQ in Tomball has outstanding brisket.
RC_57
AG
TAM85 said:

Just based on my tastes, of the two (Corkscrew & Tejas), I'll pick Tejas
Jack Cheese
AG
TAM85 said:

Wait, I thought it was a "craftory"
94chem
phideaux_2003 said:

Firecraft BBQ will have a brick and mortar soon... that's my number one in Houston right now.

I haven't been. The chef's wife was my kids' first grade teacher, though, so I hope it's doing well.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
94chem said:

phideaux_2003 said:

I haven't been. The chef's wife was my kids' first grade teacher, though, so I hope it's doing well.

Had Firecraft yesterday at the swim meet. Get it now so you can tell people someday that you used to go when the line was only 10 deep.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DiskoTroop
94chem said:

94chem said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Had Firecraft yesterday at the swim meet. Get it now so you can tell people someday that you used to go when the line was only 10 deep.

Yeah... Dave knows what he's doing. Right on par with many of the other top tier in the category. He will do well in his brick and mortar.
12th Man Ag
AG
Does Firecraft only sell to serve groups of 15+ or can you order a couple pounds of brisket and sausage, along with sides?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.