Houston
Sponsored by

Need Help Getting into Ultrasound Field

3,162 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrianJ844
BrianJ844
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, my wife has been struggling to get her foot in the door for entry level ultrasound positions in the Houston area; would anyone know of any leads in the Houston or surrounding area? We are also open to ideas on how best to go about this.

She received a degree in teaching from TAMU then went to HCC for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. He has her ARDMS certification in Abdomen.

Thanks for any help,
Brian
malenurse
AG
First step would be check websites of all the major medical groups (Hermann, Methodist, St Lukes etc) and look at job postings. You may have already done this.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
jetch17
AG
BrianJ844
malenurse said:

First step would be check websites of all the major medical groups (Hermann, Methodist, St Lukes etc) and look at job postings. You may have already done this.
Yes, she has been applying to those for a while now with no real communication back on any of the attempts. There is a thought that perhaps the local, independent ultrasound clinics would be easier to get into but they don't seem to have openings that often.
The Wonderer
AG
BrianJ844 said:

malenurse said:

Yes, she has been applying to those for a while now with no real communication back on any of the attempts.
Those tend to be a little slow in the hiring process due to size and application numbers unless they are recruiting you.

Quote:

There is a thought that perhaps the local, independent ultrasound clinics would be easier to get into but they don't seem to have openings that often.
This is very true. We have very low turn over in our imagining clinic and hospital imagining programs.
AggieDoc2002
AG
Check with this company. They contract out to many area freestanding emergency rooms, including First Choice and Houston Methodist:

https://roshalimaging.com/roshal/
BrianJ844
Thanks for the link for Roshal. She is checking into it. Much appreciated!

Would you happen to know of anyone or recommend anyone that she can contact direct there? (I would PM this but I think that is a pay feature only. I can be reached at my username @gmail.com if desired)
BrianJ844
Just reaching out again to see if anyone has any contacts or ideas on how to obtain a position in Ultrasound here in the Houston area. She has been applying to everything she finds but hasn't received any bites.

Thanks,
Brian
Zemira
AG
You might see if her school has any kind of placement or recruitment programs. Or if any of her teachers/professors have any contacts in the medical field here in Houston.
Joan Wilder
AG
A friend just posted this link about an upcoming hiring event:

https://events.memorialhermann.org/houston-41618

BrianJ844
Thank you for the heads up Clarke! I have been traveling for work the last few weeks and was just catching up with TexAgs when I saw this. Looks like I caught it just in time! My wife is still in the hunt and will be hitting a few of these up. Thanks again!
BrianJ844
Just an update to see if anyone might have any leads for entry level ultrasound positions in the Houston or surrounding areas, we are still in the hunt.

She visited the career event at Memorial Hermann but found it to be like previous events at the other big hospitals where they are looking for nurses and no one really knows if they have positions open in allied health. While she has gone to every one of these career events she has found, they haven't proven to be a help as of yet.

Thanks for any help,
Brian
Seabreeze
https://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/ultrasound-technologist-13512?src=JB-10140 Good luck.
BrianJ844
Thank you for the link. She applied last Saturday.

Thanks again!
randy828
AG
First step, rule 1 on the wife
South Platte
Depending on where in Houston you live, it might be necessary for her to start at one of the facilities in the smaller towns outside of Houston. They might have higher turnover and have less applicants for an opening. My wife is getting her teaching certificate but likely will have to start in a district and school outside of Kingwood until she gets more experience . . . those districts have a harder time filling positions.
Seabreeze
No worries, glad to help. Hope all goes well.
BrianJ844
Well we are still on the hunt.

Has anyone ever reached out to the Career Consultation section of the Career Center over on campus? My wife has emailed them through fscshelp@tamu.edu a few times and called them a few times over the past few weeks and still has not been able to get in touch with a councilor. She just hasn't had an email responded to yet and even though she left her name and number with the receptionist, no call backs. What gives on getting in touch with them?

Thanks for all of yalls help!
Joan Wilder
AG
I would think HCC where she received her ultrasound training might be better connected in the field than A&M.
BrianJ844
I agree that A&M probably doesn't have any contact into the field but we figured they would be better at how to go about job hunting and networking in general than HCC. Also, it doesn't hurt to check into both career centers. I am just surprised it has been his hard to get in contact with them.
El Duke
My client/friend, a well known figure in the ultrasound field in Houston could maybe help, happy to make an introduction.
BrianJ844
Thank you for the offer Duke. It would be most appreciated. My email is my user name @ gmail.com.

Thanks!
BrianJ844
Just a little bump back up to the top to see if anyone out there might know of a leads and as encouragement for Duke to contact us. We were able to finally get everything lined up with the career center at A&M and are hopeful they might be able to help.

Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.