Houston
Sponsored by

Rodeo Cookoff Parking

2,419 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JSKolache
Scan Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're headed down to cookoff tomorrow evening and looking for a parking rec. It seems every year we decide to give the lot between Kirby and Fannin off of West Bellfort another shot, only to end up pissed off sitting in traffic for an hour trying to turn right from the 610 access road onto Fannin.

Anyone have luck on the rail? We'll be coming from the downtown area... TIA
TXAG14
Uber.
Al Bula
AG
Yellow lot
AustinCountyAg
their are stalls in Reliant Arena. they have free hay as well...
TexAgs1992
I always park east of Fannin somewhere in a remote lot. Parking in the Astroworld lot is a disaster.
Texaggie7nine
I usually take the train from the med center or downtown. It's easy going and you just have to put up with being a sardine coming back.

If you really want to park and don't mind getting a little muddy, drive up Knight road from 610 and there are usually grass lots there for like $15.
7nine
digging tunnels
AG
Take the rail. I normally do this, but last night I parked at Astroworld parking lot and it was a freaking disaster trying to get in. It's gonna be worse today and tomorrow
AustinCountyAg
serious question thought bout cookoff since I haven't been in probably 15 years when my family had a team that cooked.....Do people actually go there who don't have wristbands to private tents, or who knows a county with a team cooking? I wouldn't think it would be rather boring going not having access to any tents, or knowing anyone with a team?
digging tunnels
AG
Yeah people do actually go without an access to a tent. There is a public tent with free food and you can buy beer
Texaggie7nine
digging tunnels said:

Yeah people do actually go without an access to a tent. There is a public tent with free food and you can buy beer
Yep, and the Bud Light concert stage is open to everyone. So tons of people go without wristbands.
7nine
TXAG 05
AG
Never had a problem with parking at Astroworld, although getting there early and leaving later might have something to do with it.

There is stuff to do there if you don't have wristbands, the concerts, and some tents are pretty loose about who they let in, and you get a free sandwich and chips, I think. Some people go there not knowing they can't get into the tents. We always have people asking to come in and try our food.
Texaggie7nine
It does kind of make sense. It's a BBQ cookoff. Obviously we should be able to go into each tent and try their BBQ.
7nine
TXAG 05
AG
And lots of cookoffs are like that. I've been to some where you have to provide a certain amount of samples to the public. Houston Cookoff is just a different animal.
Scan Man
AG
Thanks for the replies - I'm thinking the rail is a winner. Any particular lot that's convenient? How long is the ride from downtown if we were just to park in a paylot there?
Liquid Wrench
Any idea who's playing the outdoor stage this weekend? It was packed for Cory Morrow last year.
TXAG 05
AG
It's Roger Creager on Saturday and I think Kevin Fowler tonight for the headliners
Tom Hagen
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

serious question thought bout cookoff since I haven't been in probably 15 years when my family had a team that cooked.....Do people actually go there who don't have wristbands to private tents, or who knows a county with a team cooking? I wouldn't think it would be rather boring going not having access to any tents, or knowing anyone with a team?
Yes. And, there are always letters to the paper and on social media complaining that they paid their $15.00 and weren't allowed into any of the tents.
TXAG 05
AG
It's $15 now? Wow. It was $7 not that long ago.
Liquid Wrench
Thanks. Sun's peaking out now, hopefully it will dry up some.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I always parked in the lot at Main & St Joseph's across from METRO and Amegy but u had a parking space there. That corner had gotten considerably sketchier in the last year or two, though. Maybe down near Market Square so you can pop into a bar for a leak and another beer when you get back to downtown?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Live in MedCenter... Walk...
Texaggie7nine
Park at the Marriott Medical Center garage near Dryden. I think it runs about $10 for the night.
7nine
RK
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

digging tunnels said:

Yep, and the Bud Light concert stage is open to everyone. So tons of people go without wristbands.
lots of people fly economy, too. no thanks.
Texaggie7nine
I wasn't saying it's a good idea to do it.
7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Got any passes?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Tom Hagen said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Yes. And, there are always letters to the paper and on social media complaining that they paid their $15.00 and weren't allowed into any of the tents.

LolPoors
Dr. Horrible
Like 10
digging tunnels
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Got any passes?
i'm the one who should be asking you!
JSKolache
AG
Park n ride shuttle buses
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.