Houston
Sponsored by

The Dome lives on

10,687 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Al Bula
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah and Ed Emmett and the county have said it would cost $78 million to tear it down in the past and now the number is $35 million which is conveniently the same as what he says the tax payers would be on the hook for with the renovations. There's a lot being played with in these numbers and it looks to me like the county is playing that game as much as anyone else. I also tend to not put a lot of faith in one sided articles written to cast it all in a better light.
88jrt06
AG
We can agree that those who rely on the Chron have no credibility. Good. Now. Your source?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I've ready several articles on the subject from numerous places. I'm not searching all over the internet for something you know is true. And when the Chronicle quotes him directly, he's the source. Both sides are playing games. Just like it's disingenuous for Ed to talk like he would tear it down if it weren't for that pesky historical landmark designation.....that he pushed for.
88jrt06
AG
So... nothing. Nada.
Noted: Poster hates Ed._

-Thought so-
Nada.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
88jrt06 said:

So... nothing. Nada.

-Thought so-
Nada.
Not really sweetheart, but you're free to think that if you like. At least it gives you an opportunity to make more one word proclamations.
Liquid Wrench
Lucky #007 said:

Yeah and Ed Emmett and the county have said it would cost $78 million to tear it down in the past and now the number is $35 million which is conveniently the same as what he says the tax payers would be on the hook for with the renovations. There's a lot being played with in these numbers and it looks to me like the county is playing that game as much as anyone else. I also tend to not put a lot of faith in one sided articles written to cast it all in a better light.
Some of the higher end numbers that were being thrown around years ago included the remaining Bud Adams bond debt. I believe that's been paid off, so what people are talking about now is either just the demolition costs or the costs of demolishing + creating a parking surface. Just demolishing the dome would not leave a parking lot or a green space, it would leave a giant hole in the ground.
88jrt06
AG
Lucky #007 said:

88jrt06 said:

So... nothing. Nada.

-Thought so-
Nada.
Not really sweetheart, but you're free to think that if you like. At least it gives you an opportunity to make more one word proclamations.
Don't call me sweetheart, nada. (6 word "proclamation")
schmellba99
AG
88jrt06 said:

We can agree that those who rely on the Chron have no credibility. Good. Now. Your source?
You act as if you have some kind of hard data on this. Please, educate us all with good numbers and your sources. We wait with baited breath.
Post removed:
by user
88jrt06
AG
schmellba99 said:

88jrt06 said:

You act as if you have some kind of hard data on this. Please, educate us all with good numbers and your sources. We wait with baited breath.
No, I'm responding to those who do post as though they have "the" hard data.
Have them educate us "with good numbers". They cannot. That's how "I act" on this issue.

I'll wait with BATED breath (not "baited").
You going fishing?
CDUB98
AG
Just implode the damn thing into its hole and fill the voids with flow-fill to grade. Cut off anything still sticking out.
Al Bula
AG
Oh wait, you wanted A/C in your new boondoggle? That is gonna cost more than 105 million!

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/ASTRODOME-13565990.php?cmpid=hpctp
Quote:

Harris County's new judge, who recently toured the property with officials from NRG Park, said she learned that the $105 million the county allocated to the redevelopment project did not include air conditioning.
Quote:

One source of additional funding could be through tax credits. The Harris County Sports & Convention Corp., which manages and operates the county-owned NRG Park, plans to apply for a 25 percent historic tax credit from the state. As a non-profit corporation, the group is eligible to receive tax credits, said Executive Director Ryan Walsh.
Cynic
Oh wow look, the young inexperienced gal catches Ed Emmett in a bold-faced lie. Obviously the plan was to add the air conditioning in as an additional expense AFTER the project was approved and construction began. Emmett deserved what he got on election day. I can't believe he thinks he can pass it off and say the building was never intended to be air conditioned. What building in Houston does not have A/C?

chimpanzee
Why would a non-profit need tax exemptions?
Al Bula
AG
Good old Ted O. pointed out no A/C in 2016, so this really is Hidalgo embarrassing Emmett's plans or signalling that she needs to line her pockets too.

https://abc13.com/news/a-peek-at-the-countys-image-for-a-rehabbed-astrodome/1403988/#gallery-5

Quote:

But there's a catch: The $105 million price tag does not buy air conditioning. We did confirm the dome will have ventilation, at least.

Ag_07
AG
Why does a parking garage need A/C?
tk for tu juan
So no more open air park/event space with a jogging trail spiraling to the top of the old primary framing?
Liquid Wrench
tk for tu juan said:

So no more open air park/event space with a jogging trail spiraling to the top of the old primary framing?
I think that was a proposal submitted by some guy who was good at graphic arts, not ever a real plan.
Satellite of Love
Final price tag on this "renovation" will be over a billion dollars. All out of the tax payer's pocket.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
WES2006AG
AG
Ed Emmett is an idiot. It would have taken 15 minutes in to the first event held in this new space to realize not having A/C was not going to work. Ed of course knew that and therefore expected to "find the money" necessary after they had already sunk $105 million in to this.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Ag_07 said:

Isn't there a revenue generating event and convention space directly next door to the dome?

I dont know how the **** you could reach this conclusion?

Stat Monitor Repairman
Satellite of Love said:

Final price tag on this "renovation" will be over a billion dollars. All out of the tax payer's pocket.

Word bro. ... Word.
Cynic
WES2006AG said:

Ed Emmett is an idiot. It would have taken 15 minutes in to the first event held in this new space to realize not having A/C was not going to work. Ed of course knew that and therefore expected to "find the money" necessary after they had already sunk $105 million in to this.

Hmmmmm, should we have our convention in a building with a glass roof and no A/C or should we just go next door to the air-conditioned conference space?

Noble07
AG
Quote:

For Ed Emmett, Hidalgo's predecessor, the Astrodome project was never about nostalgia, but to keep the integrity of the NRG complex intact. The county has a contract with the rodeo and the Texans to maintain NRG Stadium in first-class condition.

"Those tenants are going to start coming to the county saying we need this or that upgrade. There's no revenue source to provide those upgrades without the Dome," Emmet said.
What a line of BS. I'm glad Ed is gone. I may not agree with Hidalgo on much, but I agree with her on this. Now our girl just needs to learn emergency management for the hurricane.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Galveston County is full. Yall can move to El Paso to avoid paying for this mess.
AggieOil
AG
Noble07 said:

Quote:

For Ed Emmett, Hidalgo's predecessor, the Astrodome project was never about nostalgia, but to keep the integrity of the NRG complex intact. The county has a contract with the rodeo and the Texans to maintain NRG Stadium in first-class condition.

"Those tenants are going to start coming to the county saying we need this or that upgrade. There's no revenue source to provide those upgrades without the Dome," Emmet said.
What a line of BS. I'm glad Ed is gone. I may not agree with Hidalgo on much, but I agree with her on this. Now our girl just needs to learn emergency management for the hurricane.

Pretty simple. Hunker.Down.
CheeseSndwch
Quote:

Exexutive Director Ryan Walsh

It's nice to see that one of Ed Emmett's former campaign staffers was able to land on their feet.
HtownAg92
AG
That anything but demo is a consideration is a joke. There is no reason to keep that POS, none. If Yankee Stadium (you know, an actual legendary venue with a real history) can be torn down, then the hollowed-out remains of the home of decades of also-rans can be taken down.

Demo + dismantle and take parts of it and dump it in the Gulf. The environmentalists will applaud the new habitat, the fishermen will love the bounty it brings and the die-hard Domers can take charter out and jerk off in the water over it for nostalgia's sake. Win-win-win.

Then you have parking for events and also space that can be incorporated into a road racing venue, or part of it for recreation or convention space, or something else new.

Spending $200M+ to keep and renovate this dump would be like spending $100k to remodel a tool shed.
agnerd
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why does a parking garage need A/C?
Parking garages need very robust ventilation to vent out all the CO2 from the cars. You have to pull the air in from somewhere. If you pull in 95 degree humid air from outside, add in the heat generated by the vehicle engines and their ACs, and the body heat from the people in the garage, the air temperature can get dangerous quickly. The garage is going underground on the dome floor where it will not have any natural ventilation. So AC will be needed. There's also the mold and mildew problem that the dome has had in the past that leads to taxpayers currently spending a lot of money on AC to keep the building from being condemned.
Al Bula
AG
I believe ventilation was ALWAYS part of the two-level garage boondoggle, just not air conditioning for the upper exhibit area boondoggle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.