Houston
Sponsored by

Custom Home Builder Suggestions?

9,420 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by shihitemuslim
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone building nice custom for <200/ft?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
MAS444 said:

Going back to the Toll Brothers thread.....

I think they will build out the door at around 165 inclusive of lot. Obviously, this is not a custom home as they have their own designs/floor plans but they do offer up some additions and minor adjustments. They build a pretty nice looking home but as noted in that other thread they have happy customers, and a lota unhappy customers too.

I'm sure others on the board know of actual custom builders who can get you in around 165-175 (exclusive of land).

I have family building a pretty nice house in College Station through Raven Homes at around $155. It's custom. Maybe you can contact them and see if they build in Houston. Raven has a pretty good reputation in Aggieland.
drumboy
AG
MAS444 said:

Mine in Timbergrove is <$150 sq ft.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Alex Bregman
AG
drumboy said:

MAS444 said:

Hey drumboy, I'm also in Timbergrove and am starting to kick the tires on a potential rebuild at some point in the future. Mind exchanging emails? Curious to see how your's went and if you have any recommendations. Thanks!
drumboy
AG
Peter Dinklage said:

drumboy said:

MAS444 said:

Hey drumboy, I'm also in Timbergrove and am starting to kick the tires on a potential rebuild at some point in the future. Mind exchanging emails? Curious to see how your's went and if you have any recommendations. Thanks!
redacted@gmail.com
Alex Bregman
AG
Thanks! I'll shoot you an email tonight.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
redacted@gmail.com

This email. Genius!
Thanks & Gig 'Em
SnowboardAg
AG
We have architect meetings next week to select architect. I know someone building for around 175 and another around 200/sq. I've hear prices increasing to 225-250, but honestly, I can't see me being over the 175-200 range. We're planning to build late 2020 / early 2021.
AG Custom
AG
Kind of early overall to try and get an exact price, but you can probably get a price range. Price also shouldn't just be a shot in the dark. Price is always dictated by plans, engineering, level of finishes and allowances, as well as lot specific costs.

Each plan and each lot is unique. Does it require well, septic, and propane tank? If so, you can figure close to $20K more for those 3 times over the cost of public provided utilities in a subdivision. Same goes for lot clearing, pad building, amount of access road and driveway, etc. Then you get into level of finishes and allowances.

I have built custom homes from as low as $120/sqft for build on your lot and upwards of $400/sqft. Once you have plan, lot, and set your specifications and allowances, then you will get a realistic price. If anyone quotes you a price per square foot without even seeing a plan, then they are 100% dictating what is going to go in your home as far as finishes and allowances, as well as footages for areas like garages and porches, any deviations from those will result in higher costs.

Best of Luck in your project.
MAS444
AG
We're in the permitting phase now and I don't see how you can build anything truly custom and nice for much less than 200/ft.
AG Custom
AG
definitely possible....you can absolutely get $200/sqft of crap and $150/sqft of awesome. Just personal perspective, ability of contractor and trades to perform, and materials used. Each to his own opinion but saying that nothing under $200/sqft can be custom or nice is not a widely accepted or agreed upon stance.
drumboy
AG
I had the same feeling with only talking to builders that build glorious abodes inside the look.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
MAS444
AG
I'd love to see $150/ft of custom awesome.
AG Custom
AG
I'd be happy to post pictures, but i will first request that you post or send pictures of what your expectations are of awesome or even what your taste and specifications are. Are you more traditional in design? More natural stone (travertine, mables, etc) in your finishes are do you want more wood tones? Or do you like modern farm house or modern architecture? What is your expectation of exterior finishes and design? Would this be something in the City with provided utilities or would this week more rural with all onsite utilities (well, septic, propane)? Are you wanting more of slick finish walls or hand textured? Faux painted finishes? The options are obviously unlimited and if i posted a house that was not your style, you would immediately say it was garbage while others who like that style would say it is great.

I wont set myself up for failure nor a trap by randomly posting something that amounts to no more than me throwing a dart blindly at a board and hoping that it meets your design style and needs. I have built houses all over Houston area including but not limited to Royal Oaks Country Club, Carlton Wood, Memorial and Piney Point, The Heights, West University, Cinco Ranch, First Colony, etc. and numerous different styles, so with a bit more direction i am sure that i can most likely meet your picture requirements. Considering that you are already in the permitting stage and i assume under contract, i'm sure you have detailed specifications, allowances and design inspiration photos that you could share as well.

shihitemuslim
AG
Don't expect good lighting at those prices less that $250/sq ft
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.