Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Job Opportunities

3,826 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zobel
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy (crossposted from the job network board)

I was recently restructured out of my job as a product developer for private label goods, specifically fashion footwear. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of jobs in my industry in Houston, Texas and I'd really like to stay here.

That means changing direction a bit. However, the type of work I did can easily translate to other positions such as product development, project coordination, procurement, sourcing, trend, special event planning, marketing coordination and any number of other opportunities. I was in charge of product development for many footwear categories, from design to in store merchandising. This meant trend research, market research, product design, sample review, customs classification, sourcing factories and working with China, collaborating with many departments across the company, merchandising, cost analysis, import logistics etc. etc. Each style had it's own distinct process and deadline.

I also was a team captain for the MS150, growing the team from 40 riders to 75 in my 3 years as captain. I managed all of the riders, budget spend and negotiation each year with a committee of volunteers. My first year I won rookie team captain of the year. So, I also have some management and event planning experience through this.

I'm open to ideas, input, resume review etc. My main problem is that my resume reads very fashion industry oriented, so I'm not sure if it will make it through normal applications with out recommendations.

I'm currently working on getting a PMP certification.

Thanks for reading!
MouthBQ98
AG
Get the PMP-very valuable.
Tailor your resume so it is less industry focused and more generic, and aim at functions of businesses that are General to many industries, like marketing, sales, business analysis, etc. good luck,
Texaggie7nine
https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/2905796
7nine
Liquid Wrench
MouthBQ98 said:

Is it really? Not rhetorical, this is a genuine question.

I'm not sure how to even begin to tally my project management hours, but is this something that stands out amongst the thousands of certifications people attain?
swimmerbabe11
Texaggie7nine said:

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/2905796

No can do...Also, Colorado is like 13 hours from Houston?

If I leave Houston, I'd like to stay in footwear, fashion, or other creative based industries.
Texaggie7nine
Oh I didn't know he was in CO.
7nine
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
https://winocular.katyisd.org/jobs/Jobpost.exe

This might be a lead for you. Make sure to check the compensation as it may be less than you are used to.

http://www.katyisd.org/dept/hr/Documents/Non-Teacher%20Pay%20Ranges.pdf
MouthBQ98
AG
It's a valuable certification to have relative to lots of people like me that have the experience but with no certification on top of that. PM skill and experience is valuable in most any business environment.
AgLA06
AG
ChiliBeans said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Is it really? Not rhetorical, this is a genuine question.

I'm not sure how to even begin to tally my project management hours, but is this something that stands out amongst the thousands of certifications people attain?

As someone with an MBA, I can't wait until this money grab of a trend is over.

"Why don't you have PMP certification?"

Because I went back to school for multiple years and graduated with a master's in business administration. I don't see how paying to get a lesser certificate you just take a test for would be beneficial.
Zobel
AG
Edit Nm my post wasn't very nice. Sorry.
AgLA06
AG
I'd like to hear the point you were going to make.

I was actually going to do it before the hype and looked into it. All the material I've looked at was MBA light type of stuff. It's just reviewing material on your own and taking a test. I fail to see how it would potentially make me better to the point of spending the money.

I just can't see how a test certificate holds more weight than an MBA and 10+ years experience in project management. The entire thing comes off as something to validate PMs without the educational background, but a money grab for those who do.
bigjag19
AG
I recently looked into the PIMP certification. It ain't easy.
Zobel
AG
I don't see how the two are related. An MBA isn't about project management. You don't need an MBA to be an project manager.

Getting a PMP requires project management experience and 35 hours of coursework, and a test.

But really a pmp means you have exposure to a common nomenclature and general methodology for PM. A lot of variations exist in PM roles and responsibilities etc so having a PMP means you understand that and not necessarily only what your company PMs do or did.

RK
AG
As someone who has a state license in my particular field, I can comfortably say that most "certifications" or "licenses" are generally worthless from a realistic capability/qualification perspective. Obviously there are exceptions, but I have a hard time seeing how "project management" is one of them. At best, it's a marketing tool.

Am I better at what I do because I took a test and paid the state some money? More qualified? More competent? No. But it looks neat on a business card.
AgLA06
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I don't see how the two are related. An MBA isn't about project management. You don't need an MBA to be an project manager.

Getting a PMP requires project management experience and 35 hours of coursework, and a test.

But really a pmp means you have exposure to a common nomenclature and general methodology for PM. A lot of variations exist in PM roles and responsibilities etc so having a PMP means you understand that and not necessarily only what your company PMs do or did.

Actually, most MBAs have specific focuses. It should be the reason to choose the program. My focus was international business / global project management.

The argument for required project management experience for the PMP isn't exactly rigorous. Only 1 in 10 applications were audited when I looked at it and the work portfolio requirements were extremely vague. I've seen people who had no business going for a PMP (schedulers / planners) get one.

Every situation is different, but I can't justify the time or money for certificate that doesn't seem to add much knowledge for me compared to the experience and education I already have.
Zobel
AG
Ok. Who are you trying to convince?

You should say that to the interviewer or recruiter when they ask why you don't have your PMP I guess. Be sure to explain how it's a money grab and a trend, for bonus points.

On the other hand, no one has ever asked me why I don't have an MBA. Horses for courses I guess.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Can't you do the 35h self paced and pass the test with a one weekend class?
Al Bula
AG
Let's be real here. Lots of certifications and lots of MBA programs are money grabs.
David_Puddy
AG
Can you get me some Yeezys?
AgLA06
AG
RPM said:

Let's be real here. Lots of certifications and lots of MBA programs are money grabs.

Completely agree.
MillennialAg
AgLA06 said:

I was actually going to do it before the hype and looked into it. All the material I've looked at was MBA light type of stuff. It's just reviewing material on your own and taking a test. I fail to see how it would potentially make me better to the point of spending the money.

I just can't see how a test certificate holds more weight than an MBA and 10+ years experience in project management. The entire thing comes off as something to validate PMs without the educational background, but a money grab for those who do.

Quick Math:

MBA: ~50K (requires no professional work experience)
PMP Cert: ~$800 (requires professional work experience)

Which is the money grab?

ChipFTAC01
AG
MOST certifications and MBAs are money grabs.
swimmerbabe11
Are any of y'all hiring managers with input on how much more attractive a PMP makes a resume?

I'm not expecting to beat someone out with an MBA + 10 years. I have 5 years experience and once I pass the certification, I'll have a PMP as well. Personally, I see no advantage in going back for something like an MBA. If I did anything of that nature, it would be more about technical specialties in footwear design & manufacturing or apparel & costuming.

In Houston, there are many more opportunities in more industrial procurement/sourcing/product development etc than soft goods product development. I'm just trying to make that transition more attainable.
AgLA06
AG
MillennialAg said:

AgLA06 said:

Quick Math:

Which is the money grab?

That's not necessarily true either.
one MEEN Ag
AG
MillennialAg said:

AgLA06 said:

Quick Math:

Which is the money grab?

You could make a point about how one is education and the other is training, but whatever. I never thought there was much crossover between the two. If you've got an MBA and you're a boots on the ground PM you're a fish out of water.
Scientific
AG
What if you get a MS in Marketing and pair it with PMP?

Based on my short career, "it just depends" will always be the answer. The ROI may be justified, but sometimes it's not, especially when your industry may not care very much. I work under executives who have their MBAs from UHCL and OLLU. There are plenty of Bauer, Mays, and McCombs grads along with other top 10 representatives. But some of them have not been impressive, since they used their MBA for a career change, and come in with very little industry experience. The job forum will have these threads pop up when the MBA questions come up, and while I don't regret getting my MBA, I've seen it more and more as just another box being checked off.
fire09
AG
Just hired a project manager in October. We had several qualified candidates I interviewed, some with and some without the PMP. We ended up hiring one without a PMP. There was only one applicant who specifically brought it up during the interview process.
notheranymore
I'm in healthcare IT consulting. We have clients who will only accept PMP certified consultants.

Everything is relative. If the decision-maker/hiring manager has an MBA, they worked their *ss off to get it and may prefer candidates who have done the same. Same with PMPs.

You can pontificate the merits of either all day. It's all relative.
bigjag19
AG
The reality is most industries have these designations in some form or fashion. Mine does. The vendors I work with that have it are far and wide not that good. No one in my group of 12 has the main designation, including the boss. The quality of work goes much further.
CDUB98
AG
I know the trend in my line of work is to require it.

I've done the classes, but haven't taken the test.

Why? Cause my own work experience screws me up on answering the questions. Subtle differences that are correct for me, but wrong for the test, so I need to study and simply haven't done it.

However, it's looking like it will be required soon, so I need to just get it done.
Bigballin
AG
i have a PMP and it feels about as valuable as the paper it's printed on. The hardest part about getting was adjusting to the terminology in the pmbok

Met plenty of MBAs that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to project management. A MBA doesn't automatically trump a PMP
Zobel
AG
I used to feel that way but I find myself using things from it a lot at my latest company. But we're a sort of startup so the common terminology is useful. I thought about letting it lapse a few years ago. The CE requirements are more onerous than my PE.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.