Houston
Sponsored by

Patio Furniture

2,386 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tandy miller
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Anyone know where to buy a decent patio set that won't start rusting in a few years? Is it worth it to get the old crap re-coated?

the powder coated steel we have now started to rust pretty quickly.

Is cast aluminum the way to go in Houston?
The Original AG 76
AG
Just something that looks good at Sams or any discount place for a reasonable $$$ , enjoy for a half a dozen years or so then throw it away. . Our environment is very harsh on outdoor crap and the very expensive high quality stuff isn't worth the expense.
Plus you get to redecorate the patio every 5-7 years.
tommyjohn
Wal-Mart, Lowes, HD etc. is lower cost

Patio One, Chair King cost as much as good indoor furniture

agnerd
AG
I get the cheapest aluminum stuff I can find. Most stores put it all on clearance in August. All my stuff has come from Craigslist, Lowe's/HD Clearance, and a local community pool that was replacing all their stuff.
Ag_07
AG
I've taken the above approach to patio furniture and gas grills. The money spent on top of the line shlt still doesn't get you enough additional lifesan to make it worth it.

Buy cheap shlt more often.

Big Lots is actually a great place for budget patio furniture.
The Milkman
AG
I got a really good looking table and 4 chairs at Costco for like $300 in the spring.

It wont last a lifetime, but it'll get a good number of years and that'll be that.
sts7049
AG
check out Overstock or Amazon
Finn Maccumhail
AG
It's expensive but worth it IMHO to go with solid teak. Just power wash and rub down with linseed oil every few years.
Proc92
polywood.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Plastic wicker.
rhoswen
AG
I've got a set of two chairs with hideable ottomans and a glass end table that's made of that plastic wicker stuff and it's held up great on the patio that faces south overlooking clear lake. I think the set was $90 at Kroger.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
What is it made out of? If it's like a metal powder coated table and chairs and isn't rusted through ( just surface rust) just grab some steel wool and a wire brush and go to town ( wear a mask)

Then buy some rustoleum in the color u want and put 2 coats on in a well ventilated area.
I made a couple sets 15 years old look better than new that way.
Rinse and repeat every 4 years or so for like $20
chansonjr
AG
Berlin Gardens Furniture. Expensive but will last forever in very harsh environment
Sazerac
AG
What's Irish and stays out all night?

Paddy O'furniture!
Jock 07
AG
there's actually a good looking set I've seen out front of the Jones Rd HEB. made with pretty solid metal as far as I can tell.
Caliber
AG
Proc92 said:

polywood.
+1 to this.

https://www.polywoodoutdoor.com/

or

https://www.breezesta.com/

There are other brands out there as well. This is what people on the coast get because it lasts in the harsh humid, salty air on the water. It isn't cheap, but you wont' have to worry about them every falling apart.
GoneGirl
AG
Every time we pass the Chair King store in Humble, I tell my husband "well it's a good thing it isn't Sofa King instead." He doesn't think that's nearly as hilarious as I do.

But this made me think of them, because they do have some very nice outdoor furniture.

tandy miller
AG
Proc92 said:

polywood.
This is the correct answer
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.