Houston
Sponsored by

Divorce -- need advice for amicable divorce, working out prpty/finance details

8,512 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Redstone
TxAger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nm
The Wonderer
AG
Robert Von Dohlen

http://www.houstondivorcelawyerformen.com/
AggieWonWon
Rule 1 on ex
TXTransplant
Are you in Harris Co? If so, the judges can be very father-friendly. Most divorced dads I know have 50/50 custody. Regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't have to settle for being a "weekend dad" (unless that's your preference). As a side note, in many 50/50 situations, there is no child support paid by either party.
TxAger
nm
The Original AG 76
AG
HIRE
A
LAWYER

Not that expensive if uncontested and a MUST !
helloag99
http://www.deerparkdivorcelawyers.com

Dennis Slate is an Ag
Ag_07
AG
Here's my advice...Go elsewhere for real advice.
UndergroundAg
Too young...
Snipes
AG
If you are not in agreement with the finances then it isn't amicable.

If it is impossible to negotiate on your own then suggest you find a lawyer.

Keep in mind that in Texas you split what you have 50/50 except for child support.

I hired Candace Demary to fill out paper work and file it at the court for me.

Only $1000 for all the paper work and court appeareance and good peace of mind that all was filed properly.

Bill starts racking up with lawyers when you don't agree on how things get split up.

Suggest you sit with your ex and solve how to split the finances.

BigPuma
AG
a Mediator may suffice. I have listened to Denise French give multiple presentations specifically focusing on finances and tax effects of divorce.

Her website
sts7049
AG
I've done an uncontested divorce without lawyers, although no kids involved. feel free to email me if you like. username at gee-mail.
The Wonderer
AG
Snipes said:

Keep in mind that in Texas you split what you have 50/50 except for child support.

If you agree to such, but keep in mind that not every possession is subject to equity division.
Jack Cheese
AG
If you don't mind sharing, what happened? Seems like if things are so amicable it might be worth trying to stay together since kids are involved.

PS - I'm not trying to be judgmental. My wife and I were a hair away from splitting up 10 years ago, stuck it out, we're really glad we did.
TXAGFAN
AG
Jack Cheese said:

If you don't mind sharing, what happened? Seems like if things are so amicable it might be worth trying to stay together since kids are involved.

PS - I'm not trying to be judgmental. My wife and I were a hair away from splitting up 10 years ago, stuck it out, we're really glad we did.
He didn't ask for that kind of advice.

Divorces among people with older or adult children are fairly common...they probably stayed together for the kids years ago.
AggieStan
Lawyer. Next question
Jack Cheese
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

Divorces among people with older or adult children are fairly common...they probably stayed together for the kids years ago.

The advice we want is often not the advice we need. I realize so many on this board are pro-divorce, just offering a different perspective.
TXAGFAN
AG
Jack Cheese said:

TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

The advice we want is often not the advice we need. I realize so many on this board are pro-divorce, just offering a different perspective.
Pro divorce?

More like I saw parents try to make it work and wasted their best years in their late 40's/50's.
Diggity
AG
TXAGFAN said:

...they probably stayed together for the kids years ago.

so here's your holidaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Muzzleblast
Either get a bada$$ lawyer or get out the lube for the fisting.

We haven't had biblical marriage in years, only a bad financial contract for the primary earner.

Choose wisely.
BMX Bandit
Muzzleblast said:

We haven't had biblical marriage in years, only a bad financial contract for the primary earner.

Choose wisely.

Your ex-wife sounds lovely
The Wonderer
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Muzzleblast said:

Choose wisely.

Your ex-wife sounds lovely
And sounds like she had a badass lawyer.
runontexas
AG
Josh Innes does call ins with his advice on the situation. Give him a call!
Burn-It
AG
I would start with asking what she wants. If it's truly amicable, be as transparent with the finances as possible. Create a spreadsheet with accounts and balances (both assets and liabilities). Create a list of hard assets (homes, cars, furnishings, etc.) and assign market values to each. From there, it's a simple spreadsheet exercise of splitting stuff up depending upon what ratio you both feel are fair (50/50, 60/40). If you are the primary bread winner, I would recommend giving her as much of the hard assets as possible and keeping more of the soft assets (cash, investments, retirement, etc.). Women generally cherish the hard assets while men are generally the opposite. More stuff can be always be bought after the divorce is finalized. When my ex and I divorced, we divided the primary house into rooms, estimated a value for each and then decided who gets the contents (and $ value) of that room. For the most part, she got all the hard stuff, which then left more of the soft assets for me. I have never missed any of the stuff she kept and she seemed pretty happy that she didn't have to go buy new stuff.

The tougher part will be how you both interact with the kids. Since they are older and possibly going off to college, I would encourage both parents to stay involved with parent weekend and other "family-related" activities (i.e. together but separate if you know what I mean). Sometimes this is difficult because you may not want to "deal" with the ex, but the kids will probably appreciate it.

AKA 13-0
TxAger
nm
Martin Q. Blank
TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

Pro divorce?

More like I saw parents try to make it work and wasted their best years in their late 40's/50's.
Late 40's/50's are their best years?
TXAGFAN
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

TXAGFAN said:

Jack Cheese said:

Pro divorce?

Late 40's/50's are their best years?
First of all, I don't give two ****s if you agree with me...yes, I think they can be some of your best years. Your kids are graduating, maybe starting their families with grandkids, you're comfortable financially or even retired. When people stay in a bad marriage into those years there is also an obvious issue of "time running out" and getting into the swing of a second marriage at that age and after being with someone for 30 years is a tough thing to do. People end up alone or making a huge life change, it's sad.
OnlyForNow
AG
How many people do you know that can retire at 50?
jamaggie06
AG
Thats why they getting divorced; spent all their time working...
TxAger
nm
shihitemuslim
AG
I would use todd Frankfort. Recommended by multiple individuals. He helped me by getting me to do counseling to save our marriage. He is a good guy. That was almost 7 years ago that I met with him and things worked out. He was very responsive and emailed back right away and willing to talk.
Aggiemike96
AG
Good luck. The attorney fees charged for easy divorces are a racket. Courts, judges, and attorneys...gotta take care of your own.
Piercing Mae
AG
I can recommend a badass lawyer who will make sure you don't get screwed. But she's expensive. If you're still interested, I'll give you my email for a pm. I'm sorry your going through this. It sucks.
TxAger
nm
bq11
AG
I do divorces in Houston.

Call me and I'll see if I can help you out.
713-401-6030
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.