Houston
Sponsored by

Bad Behavior by ABC 13's Mia Shay

11,548 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.therebel.media/watch_abc_reporter_calls_conservative_group_helping_harvey_victims_white_supremacists_gets_absolutely_annihilated

Quote:

As Red Elephants reports, "Shay approached the crew which included Francis Marion, founder of American Freedom Keepers, and told them that some people from the Cambodian community called and were concerned that there were 'white supremacists' in their community."

When Shay attempted to defame the group, three of the Cambodian citizens confronted her. The results are legendary. Don't mess with Texas.
Marvin_Zindler
AG

And for the record, I didn't read the article or watch any of the videos.
The Wonderer
AG
God, those people sure didn't help their cause with the ****ing quips.
agproducer
AG
This is fake news. Miya did nothing wrong.

The people who wrote this have a fundamental lack of knowledge on how the media works.

So, I'll enlighten folks who actually believe this article:

First, the media receives phone calls for news tips. In this situation (and I don't work in TV anymore, but did long enough to know how it works), the station likely received a couple phone calls about possible white supremacists in the area.

Second, the assignments desk and editorial decision makers thought -- "White supremacist claims -- we need to look ito it." Whether you like it or not, it's a big theme in the country, especially with Charlottesville. So, they sent Miya to figure out what exactly was going on.

In the video, Miya is not calling them "white supremacists." She is asking questions -- which they refused to answer and got hostile with her. She and the photog handled the situation professionally. The people refused to answer questions, and she finally found someone to answer her questions.

A lot of times when reporters head to stories, the actual story is not what they originally received as the news tip. Their jobs are to find the truth. That's what Miya was trying to do. She asked about the guy's shirt -- which he refused to give answers on. One would be led to believe, the guy may have had those ideals since he was wearing the shirt. But, it's obvious she was not able to confirm that, so she moved on.

This was not some sort of "liberal" media bias the website is trying to portray. This is a reporter who received a news tip, went to check it out and got met with hostility.

I haven't seen Miya's report, but it likely included a line that said "We got calls of concerns about white supremacists in the community and went to go get answers. When we started asking questions, this happened..." It leaves viewers to draw their own conclusions.

The local media is not out to "get" people for "ratings." Most journalists I worked with were out to get the true story, the great interviews and be fair.

And, I worked as a journalist for nearly 20 years.

03_Aggie
agproducer said:

The people who wrote this have a fundamental lack of knowledge on how the media works.

First, the media receives phone calls for news tips. In this situation (and I don't work in TV anymore, but did long enough to know how it works), the station likely received a couple phone calls about possible white supremacists in the area.

Second, the assignments desk and editorial decision makers thought -- "White supremacist claims -- we need to look ito it." Whether you like it or not, it's a big theme in the country, especially with Charlottesville. So, they sent Miya to figure out what exactly was going on.

In the video, Miya is not calling them "white supremacists." She is asking questions -- which they refused to answer and got hostile with her. She and the photog handled the situation professionally. The people refused to answer questions, and she finally found someone to answer her questions.

A lot of times when reporters head to stories, the actual story is not what they originally received as the news tip. Their jobs are to find the truth. That's what Miya was trying to do. She asked about the guy's shirt -- which he refused to give answers on. One would be led to believe, the guy may have had those ideals since he was wearing the shirt. But, it's obvious she was not able to confirm that, so she moved on.

This was not some sort of "liberal" media bias the website is trying to portray. This is a reporter who received a news tip, went to check it out and got met with hostility.

I haven't seen Miya's report, but it likely included a line that said "We got calls of concerns about white supremacists in the community and went to go get answers. When we started asking questions, this happened..." It leaves viewers to draw their own conclusions.

The local media is not out to "get" people for "ratings." Most journalists I worked with were out to get the true story, the great interviews and be fair.

Lol
The Blue Goose
AG
It sounded like she walked up saying, "Where are the white supremacists" or "Are you the white supremacists?" Then she tried to explain herself and drew conclusions based offf some guy's t shirt. Pretty asinine.

I wouldn't do what these people did, but I could see myself getting pretty fired up too if I had been working my ass off for a community and some ingrate calls me racist or some reporter calls my motives into question somehow based on a t shirt.

I googled his organization and he's based in Portland Oregon. Credit to him for coming to Houston to help out.
BBRex
AG
I worked in news (print) for 17 years, and I agree. I'd say there probably is some bias because most journalists have a more liberal world view, but there is no grand media conspiracy.
AggieWonWon
agproducer said:

My goodness this is bias tripe.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
agproducer said:

The local media is not out to "get" people for "ratings."

LOL
AggieWonWon
Its like a scene from the Wire in real life.
Madman
AG
When the owners of the property asked her to leave multiple times its just fine to ignore them?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

1. B.S. It's all for ratings and car commercial rates. Period.

2. Watch the video at the link. The people may not have handled it well, but if you're out volunteering and a TV reporter shows up asking if you're white supremacists, some people are not going to handle that well.

3. Miya is a well known Democrat, married to an extremely partisan Democrat state rep, and she does in fact have some history of politically biased reporting.

All of the above is true whether you spent 20 or 200 years as a journalist.
drumboy
AG
I figure asians would like to be around white supremacists because that would keep the riffraff out.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
agproducer
AG
Chili, your points two and three are valid. They are facts, but point 1 is incorrect.

Ratings play into the stories that are chosen to pursue, but not the end all be all. They are not the main reason for pursuing stories.

Second, the fact she is a Democrat doesn't matter. She does not choose the stories she pursues. She's assigned it.

Now for those who are critical and think the local media is just goes after people because it has an agenda--- you are wrong.

As far as the National media, I don't believe it does either, but as BBRex pointed out earlier, it may appear to lean left.

Continue to believe what you want. I stated based on journalists I've worked with through the years, that opinion is wrong.

I've helped folks on this board when I was in media and delivered results for them. So again, shots from the peanut gallery continue believing what you'd like. Regardless of the truth, it won't change your opinion.

03_Aggie
Yeah it's not about ratings, guys. These folks truly are the best at what they do...

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2727078
agproducer
AG
03_Aggie said:

Yeah it's not about ratings, guys. These folks truly are the best at what they do...

Apples and oranges. The eye candy helps for ratings, but when it comes to story selection ratings are not the primary driver. Media tends to follow what interests viewers. That's why you see viral videos making it into newscasts.

Honestly, I don't care what the story was in question. FWIW, I was trying to provide y'all insight.

Again, continue to believe what you want. Social media has eroded what's news and what's not. But that's another conversation for a different time.
03_Aggie
I'm just messing with you. News ain't what it used to be. I'm sure there are some that are "old school" but the industry as a whole seems to have trended to things that drive ratings as opposed to actual "news".
agproducer
AG
03_Aggie said:

I'm just messing with you. News ain't what it used to be. I'm sure there are some that are "old school" but the industry as a whole seems to have trended to things that drive ratings as opposed to actual "news".

You are right -- News is not what it used to be.

I love lively debate. So, thank you. The major problem is what you are pointing to, news organizations are having trouble finding their places with how people consume news due to the rise of social media.

That's why you'll now see things like the "5 things you can do right now to save your hair in Houston's humidity," instead of stories that actually matter.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

shots from the peanut gallery
Al Bula
AG
Maya Shay is a terrible reporter. Good Samaritan was a dick munch.

I don't see what all the ruckus is about.
txyaloo
AG
agproducer said:

03_Aggie said:

Apples and oranges. The eye candy helps for ratings, but when it comes to story selection ratings are not the primary driver. Media tends to follow what interests viewers. That's why you see viral videos making it into newscasts.
AKA what will drive ratings? Because that's exactly what ratings are, correct? And ratings drive advertising rates. We can't pretend that television news is any type of public service. If news wasn't profitable for the station, the newscasts would be quickly cut.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I'm not a fan of Miya Shay by any means. I'm well aware of her political leanings/influences and I'm sure she would have loved to find a juicy story on some white nationalist.

That said, lay off agproducer. He's done good work for folks on this board in the past and is only relaying his 20 yrs of experience.
Liquid Wrench
I love the Houston Board "Our Guy" thing. Like this is some small redneck town and you've got your guy in "the media" to go along with your guy in law enforcement and your guy at the city.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Sorry you feel that way, Francis. I didn't realize that no one is allowed to call out bullsh** when they see it. I'm going to assume that you've personally interacted with agproducer at some point in the past?

Oh...you haven't? Well, I have.
agproducer
AG
txyaloo said:

agproducer said:

03_Aggie said:

AKA what will drive ratings? Because that's exactly what ratings are, correct? And ratings drive advertising rates. We can't pretend that television news is any type of public service. If news wasn't profitable for the station, the newscasts would be quickly cut.

That's correct, but what I bolded for you here is my point. Ratings are not the primary driver. Ratings factor into what stations will pursue, hence the reason they chased the story. News brings in money and ratings help set advertising rates.

I've been in editorial meetings where audiences are discussed. Some stories are covered to satisfy certain audiences. Certain newscasts cater to certain demographics. But the demos stations cater to are very broad. They are adults 18-49, 25-54 (the key demo because they are the people truly spending money on things that at advertised) and also split into men and women. A lot of local news is targeted to women because it has been shown they are consumers of it.

But, I digress.

When the overall news day is laid out with the enterprise stories, show placement is determined by audience. The audience it is targeted towards does not determine what is actually contained in the story.

At the core of it all, the goal of news is to inform.

Again, as I said in my original post, when the reporter gets to a scene, most of the time, the story will not be as was suggested by the initial news tip.
The job of the journalist is to find out the actual story and report it objectively. They have to find out if the news tip is even actual news.

agproducer
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

shots from the peanut gallery

Apologies, Chili. The "peanut gallery" crack was not directed at you. I should have been more clear in that post.

You brought something to the conversation instead of just coming to drop an LOL or a one-line opinion.
AggieWonWon
The whole premise is stupid white supremacists helping out Cambodians? They should be ashamed for even following up on the lead .
Liquid Wrench
hodgesco said:

Sorry you feel that way, Francis. I didn't realize that no one is allowed to call out bullsh** when they see it. I'm going to assume that you've personally interacted with agproducer at some point in the past?

Oh...you haven't? Well, I have.
That's precious. Post a full list of everyone you've ever "personally interacted" with. I'm sure it's a short list but i want to be sure I don't hurt your feelings by daring to disagree with something one of them might have said.

Nobody said anything personal about your knight in shining armor, so chill out and go to sleep.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Apologies, Chili. The "peanut gallery" crack was not directed at you. I should have been more clear in that post.
No need to apologize here.
agproducer
AG
AggieWonWon said:

The whole premise is stupid white supremacists helping out Cambodians? They should be ashamed for even following up on the lead .

But, what if it were actually true? That be a pretty interesting story, don't you think?

If they'd received several calls about it with people concerned they would have to check it out. And what's to say other stations didn't receive the exact same calls?

A lot of times the truth is stranger than fiction. I can't tell you how many wacky news tips I've seen actually turn in to awesome stories.

When I worked in San Antonio, a viewer called reporting to have seen a chupacabra and claimed to have a picture. A reporter went to check it out, saw the picture, took it to experts, etc. It was a great story. It got people talking. People later called about it after the story ran. We followed up on it, talked to more experts who later determined it was a coyote with mange.

It sounds cheesy as hell but viewers loved that stuff, even thinking about the possibility a chupacabra might be real.

That's a story that ended up being done for ratings. But again, it was reported as so and so says this, and so and so believes that. So we talked to experts who say this. You decide.
agproducer
AG
Al Bula
AG
Can he reign her in from terrible reporting and just make her be an annoying SAHM momtographer with a photo blog or something? She has been terrible for years... but that doesn't mean the dildo in the bucket hat wasn't an ass to her.

She is my least favorite ktrk reporter... really showed her ass during Ike. But that dude was a total tool to her.
AustinCountyAg
of the handful of times the "local" media has come out to my neck of the woods to report on something the have absolutely twisted the story every time for ratings. Now some reports not be twisted as much as others, but it's a pure fact they make it as juicy as possible even if that means only reporting tiny bits of facts in their story.

Long gone are the days of reporting the news.
AustinCountyAg
agproducer said:

AggieWonWon said:

But, what if it were actually true? That be a pretty interesting story, don't you think?

If they'd received several calls about it with people concerned they would have to check it out. And what's to say other stations didn't receive the exact same calls?

A lot of times the truth is stranger than fiction. I can't tell you how many wacky news tips I've seen actually turn in to awesome stories.

When I worked in San Antonio, a viewer called reporting to have seen a chupacabra and claimed to have a picture. A reporter went to check it out, saw the picture, took it to experts, etc. It was a great story. It got people talking. People later called about it after the story ran. We followed up on it, talked to more experts who later determined it was a coyote with mange.

It sounds cheesy as hell but viewers loved that stuff, even thinking about the possibility a chupacabra might be real.

That's a story that ended up being done for ratings. But again, it was reported as so and so says this, and so and so believes that. So we talked to experts who say this. You decide.

I can see how the browns would think that's something to get excited about
Busy
[Permanent. -Staff]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.