Houston
Sponsored by

Terrible Texans season

6,560 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigjag19
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This team is terrible. Does Sumlin or O'Brien lose their jobs 1st?
bigjag19
AG
Doesn't matter. The Texans have a bigger problem than head coach.
Al Bula
AG
Bengals are effing terrible. Texans may win 3-5 games this season.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Rick Smith has got to go.

I also think Bob McNair is too conservative in his decision making. I get the feeling he wants everything to be a sure shot or an obvious 'no' before he makes a move.

There's a reason Texans players and coaches go on to out perform their career in Houston.
digging tunnels
AG
All begins with Rick Smith. Terrible draft picks year after year. Unfortunately don't see him getting fired anytime soon due to the fact he's the godfather to McNair's grandson

OL is atrocious
No 2nd offensive weapon behind Hopkins
Noble07
AG
Last night I was thinking the Bengals have to be better at every position...except maybe Defensive Line as a whole? Even then Geno Atkins is a stud. Has to be coaching then? And Andy Dalton needs to stop playing like Matt Schaub.
Icecream_Ag
S
digging tunnels said:

All begins with Rick Smith. Terrible draft picks year after year. Unfortunately don't see him getting fired anytime soon due to the fact he's the godfather to McNair's grandson

OL is atrocious
No 2nd offensive weapon behind Hopkins

to be fair on the second point, the entire second and third team skill position group is hurt. The OL has long been an issue that they refuse to address (could be the real reason for Browns holdout).
Icecream_Ag
S
henry07 said:

Last night I was thinking the Bengals have to be better at every position...except maybe Defensive Line as a whole? Even then Geno Atkins is a stud. Has to be coaching then? And Andy Dalton needs to stop playing like Matt Schaub.
That WR from Wisconsin went Welker vs A&M on Houston last night and Dalton kept forcing the ball to Green. Not a bad idea, but why not get the ball to the guy covered 1 on 1 instead of the guy triple covered?
Chewy
AG
This team is hosed long term. Watson will develop it looks like but he'll never have an offensive line and with trading our draft picks over the next two seasons there's no hope.

Rick Smith is a moron. He signed Osweiler and then traded him giving away a second round pick to fix his error. Any other GM would be fired for that but Rick Smith soldiers on.

I think O'Brien is a decent coach and will leave Houston after this season and do better elsewhere. If I'm him I want out as the past personnel decisions have screeed this team for the next 3 years.
Chewy
AG
Hopkins isn't a true #1 receiver either. He's a solid receiver but he's not a game changer.

And like someone else said outside of Hopkins the drop off for receiver is severe.
Gap
AG
The Browns have the Texans 1st and 2nd round picks in the next draft - one from the Watson trade and the other from the Osweiler deal.
95_Aggie
AG
Granted he doesn't have much of an OL, but Andy Dalton is terrible. How is Marvin Lewis still there?
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

The Browns have the Texans 1st and 2nd round picks in the next draft - one from the Watson trade and the other from the Osweiler deal.
Wow. The Texans are going to make the Browns look like geniuses.
Noble07
AG
Quote:

This team is hosed long term. Watson will develop it looks like but he'll never have an offensive line and with trading our draft picks over the next two seasons there's no hope.
Don't we have cap room? We didn't sign Bouye, and unloaded Brock's contract...everyone was thinking it was so we could go after Romo, right? With Cushing off the books soon, can we overpay for another mediocre to poor OL? Another Jeff Allen signing is what comes to mind.
88jrt06
AG
Chewy said:

Hopkins isn't a true #1 receiver either.
Frok
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

Wow. The Texans are going to make the Browns look like geniuses.

The Browns have top picks every year and continue to suck.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Quote:

Hopkins isn't a true #1 receiver either. He's a solid receiver but he's not a game changer.
The moment this thread went off the rails. I love this board!
Chewy
AG
Hopkins is a fine receiver but to me a true #1 guy is physical and can take on any DB like Andre Johnson. Hopkins is a finesse guy so he can be taken out of the picture if a defense wants to.
ATM9000
AG
Chewy said:

Hopkins is a fine receiver but to me a true #1 guy is physical and can take on any DB like Andre Johnson. Hopkins is a finesse guy so he can be taken out of the picture if a defense wants to.

So many what the hells in this post from your own characterization of a number 1 receiver down to saying Hopkins isn't physical.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Chewy said:

That's pretty much the opposite of how Hopkins is seen in the league. He's very much seen as a physical, go-get-the-ball WR who is going to beat a DB on a 50/50 ball the majority of the time. The one true knock on him and the reason the Texans drafted Will Fuller in the first round last year is that he doesn't have the blazing speed on a deep ball where he can blow the roof off the defense.
NoahAg
Quote:

How is Marvin Lewis still there?
quota
NoahAg
Finn Maccumhail said:

Chewy said:

That's pretty much the opposite of how Hopkins is seen in the league. He's very much seen as a physical, go-get-the-ball WR who is going to beat a DB on a 50/50 ball the majority of the time. The one true knock on him and the reason the Texans drafted Will Fuller in the first round last year is that he doesn't have the blazing speed on a deep ball where he can blow the roof off the defense.
Unlike Andre, Hopkins scores TDs. If he plays as long as Andre, he'll surpass him.
Noble07
AG
Hopkins was basically our only receiving threat last night, and we were still able to complete 7 passes to him.

Colinsworth made the comment that he is really good at pushing the limit and getting away with being physical to create separation.

Right now finesse is someone like Braxton Miller.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
henry07 said:

Right now finesse is someone like Braxton Miller.

Miller will learn how to be physical and get away with it. He's not a small dude at WR- listed at 6'2" 216#; he's just still very much learning how to play WR.

Quote:

Unlike Andre, Hopkins scores TDs. If he plays as long as Andre, he'll surpass him.

Andre had the misfortune, for much of his career, of playing with an elite RB so any time they got in the red zone they were running the ball.
88jrt06
AG
Chewy said:

So he has to draw FOUR pass interference calls against Bouye, the 64 mil all-world CB next time? Hopkins beat him AND beat him up. He also hurt badass Pacman.
BMX Bandit
Chewy getting destroyed here
MAS444
AG
He also dropped a number of passes he should have caught...again.
ATM9000
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Miller will learn how to be physical and get away with it. He's not a small dude at WR- listed at 6'2" 216#; he's just still very much learning how to play WR.

If Braxton Miller is in the league 2 seasons from now, I'd be shocked. He's a sloppy and inefficient route runner and, while he's a great athlete, he's not near athletic enough to get away with that inefficiency. Maybe he gets better, but I've not seen it yet.

But that's my problem generally w/ Bill O'Brien and why I think he sucks. Rick Smith gets too vilified as a GM in my opinion. What should bug everyone is that you see little development and growth from players under O'Brien. That's on the coach and why I think our staff stinks. It's more than just we've had bad quarterbacks... the players on the team just don't really get much better... especially on the offensive side of the ball. As the starts get older, that's going to get to be a big problem.
88jrt06
AG
MAS444 said:

He also dropped a number of passes he should have caught...again.

Who doesn't? Including Andre and Megatron..even Fitzgerald. A certain Giants receiver? Yes, when he shows up to play at all.
MAS444
AG
So I guess your point is that he's just like Fitzgerald and Megatron...?
88jrt06
AG
MAS444 said:

So I guess your point is that he's just like Fitzgerald and Megatron...?
Totally wrong; didn't say that.
I said everyone drops passes from time-to-time. Straightforward post.
Hopkins is All-Pro caliber and an easy choice for "go-to-guy" on many/most NFL teams, however.
Has proved it with the worst QB-cluster in recent NFL history, btw.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Strong released today. Another Rick Smith special bust.
Icecream_Ag
S
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Strong released today. Another Rick Smith special bust.
filled a need so that was good, bad homework on his practice habits though.

I'm surprised by the number of 2-3 round picks across the league that flame out because of work ethic. At some point you would think a GM would talk to someone other than the head coach about a kids work ethic.
Boo Weekley
Texans suck and always will. I am 100% convinced I am in sports hell. Occasionally one of my teams will make a solid run, but this is only to let me down in the big game when it counts. If i care about a team, they are going to suck. Maybe I should try to develop a genuine affinity for our rivals, but not sure how I could ever do that when I hate them? Open to ideas.
BowSowy
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Texans suck and always will. I am 100% convinced I am in sports hell. Occasionally one of my teams will make a solid run, but this is only to let me down in the big game when it counts. If i care about a team, they are going to suck. Maybe I should try to develop a genuine affinity for our rivals, but not sure how I could ever do that when I hate them? Open to ideas.
Please don't be an Astros fan
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.