Houston
Sponsored by

How Will The Mass Debris Disposal Work?

2,193 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
TKNR_Ags_co21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got to thinking yesterday as I saw a gigantic debris gathering site in Sienna Plantation yesterday of materials torn out of flood damaged homes...drywall, furniture ect. This pile must have been at least 250'x100' and probably 60' tall and they are still offloading on it... might be an exaggeration, but it was still huge.

Sienna Plantation had some homes that were flood damaged but not many compared to what you see in other parts of Houston where entire neighborhoods are tearing out their houses... It could be also some of that debris pile could be from homes in the neighboring Riverstone community.

Just got me thinking.. how in the hell are they going to logistically dispose of all of the home tear-out debris from all of the Harvey affected areas?

Landfills are already one of those things that I just don't understand how all of our trash fits in there... so how will they handle the influx of debris?
Post removed:
by user
RK
AG
my proposal was to use the debris to build a levee system around the city and divert all bayous around it. also will help with diversion of prospective residents to el paso.
sts7049
AG
border wall filler material?
TXTransplant
Combination of existing landfills and ones that will have to be built. There are a lot of interesting articles out there about what happened to debris from Katrina. Now might be the time to get into the landfill business.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9375252/ns/us_news-katrina_the_long_road_back/t/where-will-garbage-katrina-cleanup-go/#.WbqhmtKWyM8

http://www.nola.com/katrina/index.ssf/2011/03/hurricane_katrina_pushed_landf.html

Supposedly the Houston area has a lot of landfill capacity.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/when-the-waters-recede-trash-piles-up.html
helloag99

After IKE, they had tons of trucks like this come around and pick up debris and take it to the landfill. Tree debris was taken to various sites and incinerated. They were contracted thru fema. I have seen a few of the trucks around town lately.
randy828
AG
kubiak03
AG
Just do like in east Texas and burn it all.
88jrt06
AG
Mandatory Astrodome reference.
Dr. Doctor
AG
On an old PDF file on the Atascocita landfill, it can accept up to 20.2 MM tons of waste; a normal year is 1.04 MM tons. A total of 47 years of life; starting in 1981.

I think this might speed up their lifecycle a bit, but they can store a bunch there. I wonder how much is being recycled/pulled (lumber, metal, etc.) and other stuff is being tossed (sheetrock, insulation).

~egon
Alex Bregman
AG
Plenty of landfills around town that have the site life to handle the debris.

The owners are ramping up their resources to handle the volumes as they stand to make a lot of $$$ doing so.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
88jrt06 said:

Mandatory Astrodome reference.

Put it all in the Astrodome, douse in jet fuel, and light a match.
Ag_07
AG
Ship it out to sea on barges when the libs aren't looking.
Liquid Wrench
I guess dumping on a vacant lot in Acres Homes might be out of the question this time.
Al Bula
AG
I don't know about where the debris will go, but flooded vehicles are being taken north. I counted at least 20 tow trucks with two cars apiece heading north on Highway 6 Tuesday night on the way to and from College Station. I know they were flood cars because they were all dirty with windows down. All of them.
88jrt06
AG
UT has 220 skanky acres near an existing dump.
Just sitting there. No plans for it.
C'mon horns. Pitch in.
agnatgas
AG
Hopefully, it goes better than Alicia.

"The City of Houston awarded unemployed construction worker James Scott $1.4 million in cleanup contracts after Hurricane Alicia even though he had no office, no dump trucks, no equipment, and no phones. Scott said "Lord Jesus" would see him through, but many of the workers are still unpaid, two subcontractors have filed writs, and one contract has been cancelled altogether"

1984 Texas Monthly Bum Steer Awards
mts6175
AG
I'd imagine that planned landfill near Hempstead is going to go into operation really soon.....
Flashdiaz
AG
they're going to dump all our trash in Waco.... it will be an improvement.
Mucho austin
AG
I heard if all the trash was loaded on dump trucks, it could create a line of dump trucks all the way to Portland.

I think that's a good place
Bondag
AG
Take it to Wilson rd landfill and set it on fire. At least drywall, carpet, and trees.

?w=525
vansprinkle
AG
RPM said:

I don't know about where the debris will go, but flooded vehicles are being taken north. I counted at least 20 tow trucks with two cars apiece heading north on Highway 6 Tuesday night on the way to and from College Station. I know they were flood cars because they were all dirty with windows down. All of them.

RIP Texas World Speedway
Al Bula
AG
Mucho austin said:

I heard if all the trash was loaded on dump trucks, it could create a line of dump trucks all the way to Portland.

I think that's a good place
well Portland Texas is only like 200 miles from Houston.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My entire hood has 10 ft piles lining every single house. I mean each house has a truck load worth of **** ready to fill it. I'm starting to wonder how long this is going to take.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ship it out to sea on barges when the libs aren't looking.

I believe the shipping industry calls this 'reef building'
AlaskanAg99
AG
It'll take 6 or so months to remove all the debris. With Irma hitting a lot of trucks diverted to FL. That being a flood and wind event there's more **** to haul and reportedly FL pays better than TX. Follow the money.
aTm '99
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.