Houston
Sponsored by

Cushing suspended 10 games for PEDs

3,885 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000844466/article/texans-brian-cushing-suspended-10-games-by-nfl

Must have "over trained" again.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
F that washed up yankee. Dude was an obvious roider at USC and his only good years were just prior to getting popped.

Not saying the Texans have anyone better, but still, F that guy.
Al Bula
AG
Lol good riddance. Paper tiger...
mm98
AG
nm
Finn Maccumhail
AG
spadilly
S
He gone.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Chewy
AG
Cushing must have been using A-Rods guy or a Jamaican if he just got busted. He's laughing all the way to the bank as he got at least another 3 years salary by using them and being undetected this long.
88jrt06
AG
Career over.
It was, anyway.
Just as irritating: They never worked!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Chewy said:

Cushing must have been using A-Rods guy or a Jamaican if he just got busted. He's laughing all the way to the bank as he got at least another 3 years salary by using them and being undetected this long.

How much is guaranteed? They can cut him and don't owe him anything but his prorated signing bonus.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
whew, maybe he will actually be healthy later this season.
Chewy
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Chewy said:

How much is guaranteed? They can cut him and don't owe him anything but his prorated signing bonus.

I'm not talking about what's owed on his contract. I'm talking about he didn't just start taking them more than likely. He'd been cut 3 years ago if he wasn't taking them.

He just finally got some his supplier couldn't get past the NFL testing.

I'll freely admit the dude would beat me into submission but a natural player he's likely never been. I'd wager in a good lie detector he'd admit he's been juicing in some form most if not all of his collegiate and NFL career. If this is the end it worked pretty well as he made a lot of money in the NFL.
plowboy1065
S
He's a mouth breather
MAS444
AG
When is the last time he was an above average (or even average, I think many would argue) NFL linebacker? Needed to get rid of him anyway.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
lulz

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Solomon-Steroid-era-leaves-mark-on-Cushing-1607005.php

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Always loved this
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d823f4a30/Sound-FX-Brian-Cushing
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Boo Weekley
No f-ing way this guy does steroids, show me the labwork...

NoahAg
Sacrificial lamb to take the heat off JJ. You know the Texans (and HEB) have a crew solely dedicated to making sure Watt pisses clean.
Boo Weekley
NoahAg said:

Sacrificial lamb to take the heat off JJ. You know the Texans (and HEB) have a crew solely dedicated to making sure Watt pisses clean.
No doubt. Does the NFL even test for HGH? Seemed like as of last year they didn't. A significant portion of these guys are definitely juicing or on HGH. You don't keep building more and more lean muscle mass after you start getting into your 30's.

No way a 38-40 year old can pull this off without some help...

That's not to say these guys aren't working their asses off. It's their job and they're probably working out 3-4 hrs a day during some parts of the year. But there's a lot of juice in the NFL. Half expecting Cushing to say F it and blow the doors down and expose the league.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Chewy said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Chewy said:

I'm not talking about what's owed on his contract. I'm talking about he didn't just start taking them more than likely. He'd been cut 3 years ago if he wasn't taking them.

He just finally got some his supplier couldn't get past the NFL testing.

I'll freely admit the dude would beat me into submission but a natural player he's likely never been. I'd wager in a good lie detector he'd admit he's been juicing in some form most if not all of his collegiate and NFL career. If this is the end it worked pretty well as he made a lot of money in the NFL.

Gotcha.

He was definitely juicing at USC and so were/are his teammates Taylor Mays and Clay Matthews. I also don't think it's a coincidence that since Pete Carroll took over in Seattle the Seahawks have had more guys popped for PEDs than any other franchise in the NFL.

As for testing, I don't know the protocols. I've heard that to test for HGH they can only do so via blood tests and they used to be prohibited from doing so under the collective bargaining agreement. When I played in college and we got tested it was strictly for steroids and a piss test.

I don't know enough about what's out there any more, I just know they've moved past the old school stuff like anadrol, oxandrin, dianabol, winstrol, and deca-durabolin. If you get popped for any of those you're a dumbass.

As for JJ Watt, I don't know if he's on anything or what that might be. Looking at the fact both his brothers are in the NFL and their reputation for working I'm more inclined to believe they're pretty clean. All the shirtless photos of JJ where he's shredded are touched up and I can promise you he did a short crash diet pre-shoot (black coffee, lean chicken breasts, and very little water) to flush out excess water in his system. Guys like that who have naturally huge frames (JJ was like 6'5" 225'ish and skinny as a recruit) but haven't developed physically I can more easily see them as being pretty clean.

However, a guy like Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are a different story.
Diggity
AG
Clay Matthews comes from a pretty good lineage of large dudes.
Build It
AG
FYI , HGH doesn't make you bigger. It does help you heal up super fast.

His knees are shot anyway he was done 2 years ago.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Diggity said:

Clay Matthews comes from a pretty good lineage of large dudes.

He does indeed.

But he's also put on 80 pounds since he was 18 and none of it was bad weight. Additionally, there's some guilt by association given his former USC teammates who are known PED users with multiple positive tests.
Diggity
AG
I don't know either way...just have to be consistent when saying JJ likely isn't juicing because of lineage and work ethic when the Mathews have that in spades.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Build It said:

FYI , HGH doesn't make you bigger. It does help you heal up super fast.

His knees are shot anyway he was done 2 years ago.

Which is precisely how you get bigger.

Steroids do the same thing, they're just less sophisticated synthetic hormones than HGH. They all work by allowing you train harder and longer and recover faster. Muscle grows by being torn down and then growing to repair that damage. They also allow your body to metabolize calories, especially proteins faster which allows for more muscle growth.

More muscles equals more strength. And more speed when the proper muscles are targeted and trained.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Diggity said:

I don't know either way...just have to be consistent when saying JJ likely isn't juicing because of lineage and work ethic when the Mathews have that in spades.

I don't disagree but there are other tell-tale signs with Matthews that aren't present in Watt or his brothers. Particularly facial structure changes.
NoahAg
Quote:

just have to be consistent when saying JJ likely isn't juicing because of lineage and work ethic
Those fancy chemicals are what enable guys to be beasts in the weight room.

I've grown pretty cynical when it comes to athletes "juicing" - whatever the spectrum of supplements is. I'm now resigned to the fact that every pro athlete of significance is taking, or has taken, some variety of "drugs" that is banned by their sport.

For every idiot like Cushing who gets caught b/c they're stupid, there are surely 50 others who know how to work the system so they don't get caught. And there are the elite guys who's teams ensure will never get caught. Once in a while the NFL/MLB tosses a Cushing so it appears that they're serious about juicing.

tl;dr - They all cheat. Dumb ones get caught.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Understanding the chemistry and how they detect things makes these stories fun.

You are looking for a metabolite in the pee. If you change a non-active portion of the drug/steroid, you cannot detect it. Well, it's there, but you aren't looking for it. This is exactly the same as 'synthetic' marijuana.

Other things go into formulations, but that's the main gist of it. Need a better chemist and formulation.

~egon
Finn Maccumhail
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

just have to be consistent when saying JJ likely isn't juicing because of lineage and work ethic
Those fancy chemicals are what enable guys to be beasts in the weight room.

I've grown pretty cynical when it comes to athletes "juicing" - whatever the spectrum of supplements is. I'm now resigned to the fact that every pro athlete of significance is taking, or has taken, some variety of "drugs" that is banned by their sport.

For every idiot like Cushing who gets caught b/c they're stupid, there are surely 50 others who know how to work the system so they don't get caught. And there are the elite guys who's teams ensure will never get caught. Once in a while the NFL/MLB tosses a Cushing so it appears that they're serious about juicing.

tl;dr - They all cheat. Dumb ones get caught.

Nah, I've been around enough guys I know who played in college or the NFL and were 100% clean.

Same for elite athletes in the SEALS- they just train for different goals.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Can we all just agree Cushing is a giant Delta Bravo and this surprises no one and no one is sorry to see him go?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Can we all just agree Cushing is a giant Delta Bravo and this surprises no one and no one is sorry to see him go?

Without a doubt. He gets a double-dose of d-bag. First, he's from Jersey so even though he's not Italian he's infected with the dewshbaggery of the whole Jersey Shore/guido thing. Second, he went to USC which causes him to be a d-bag anyway.
Ag_07
AG
I'll go so far as to say Cush is a stereotypical dumbass meathead. Getting popped twice for PEDs is a dead giveaway.

However, I wouldn't say he's a DB. He seems like an overall pretty good guy and I know he's done lot of charitable work in the community. His foundation does a lot of good for vets and their families.
Boo Weekley
Doesn't HGH stimulate bone growth which would make you bigger? I was always under the impression that it did more than just help you work out harder and recover faster.
Build It
AG
Cushing like a very large percentage of his peers in the NFL take steroids. Say what you want about that but he is a decent guy who gave back to Houston. No need to make him out to be something he's not. He's donated a lot of time and money to local charities.
Boo Weekley
Build It said:

Cushing like a very large percentage of his peers in the NFL take steroids. Say what you want about that but he is a decent guy who gave back to Houston. No need to make him out to be something he's not. He's donated a lot of time and money to local charities.
The naive crowd who thinks just a small % of NFL players are juicing would be crushed to learn the truth about their favorite players. It's very common at that level and it doesn't make them bad people. The NFL doesn't want their league to be 100% clean from this stuff. It would be a lot more boring.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.