Houston
Sponsored by

Questions for those that have pools..

3,264 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AJ02
MelvinUdall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I am are in the process of getting bids for pools, but my question surrounds companies that come and maintain your pool. I have a number of friends that have pool maintenance companies come and clean their pools, they tell me they can't purchase the products for what these guys charge to do it weekly. I have no problem doing it myself, but if what my friends say is true then I may go that route. Any thoughts on pool maintenance and doing yourself compared to someone doing it for you.
Liquid Wrench
I hear good things about ABC Pest/Pool.
Flashdiaz
AG
nhayden said:

they tell me they can't purchase the products for what these guys charge to do it weekly.

not sure I understand what they're talking about. You can buy pool chemicals at Leslies, Pinch-a-Penny and even some at Lowes and Home Depot... not to mention online if you want.

I'd suggest going to TroubleFree pool website. A wealth of information. I do mine myself and i've never had a problem.
Furlock Bones
sushi94
AG
lots of factors into that discussion.

What do you have over the pool? Lots of Trees? or blue sky. If you have lots of cover i don't think once a week will be enough.

I have a friend that pays $40/week but he has no trees.

I do my own and my cost for chemicals from a combination of Leslie's (Shock and Perfect Weekly) and Costco (chlorine tabs) are about 1/3 what he pays. The only thing is - I've got to do something with the pool daily. Especially when leaves are falling and squirrels are tearing up the pecan tree over the pool. I hate squirrels!

Yard guys try not blow crap in the yard but they can't completely avoid it.

Basically when things are smooth - no problem. When things start to go wrong its hard and expensive to correct.
MelvinUdall
Flashdiaz said:

nhayden said:

they tell me they can't purchase the products for what these guys charge to do it weekly.

not sure I understand what they're talking about. You can buy pool chemicals at Leslies, Pinch-a-Penny and even some at Lowes and Home Depot... not to mention online if you want.

I'd suggest going to TroubleFree pool website. A wealth of information. I do mine myself and i've never had a problem.

Sorry I did not explain it right, essentially what they would pay in a month for chemicals and supplies, is more that what they what they would pay for a company to maintain a pool.
MelvinUdall
sushi94 said:

lots of factors into that discussion.

What do you have over the pool? Lots of Trees? or blue sky. If you have lots of cover i don't think once a week will be enough.

I have a friend that pays $40/week but he has no trees.

I do my own and my cost for chemicals from a combination of Leslie's (Shock and Perfect Weekly) and Costco (chlorine tabs) are about 1/3 what he pays. The only thing is - I've got to do something with the pool daily. Especially when leaves are falling and squirrels are tearing up the pecan tree over the pool. I hate squirrels!

Yard guys try not blow crap in the yard but they can't completely avoid it.

Basically when things are smooth - no problem. When things start to go wrong its hard and expensive to correct.

Thank you, and we do have trees, but they will not cover the pool, at least the size they are now.
agdx88
AG
I second troublefreepool.com. After Harvey flooded my yard and pool and I was gone for a week with no chlorine, I returned to a nice green pool. Balancing the calcium, alkalinity and getting chlorine back in line cost me about $100 and less than 4 hours of work over 4 or 5 days. That's correcting a major issue. there's another thread discussing a quote of $1500 or so for the this work. I may have my next job at that rate.

Pools are easy if you spend a little time each week and stay on top of it. Let it get out of hand and that can be another story, but even then its easy.
Unemployed
AG
nhayden said:

Flashdiaz said:

nhayden said:

Sorry I did not explain it right, essentially what they would pay in a month for chemicals and supplies, is more that what they what they would pay for a company to maintain a pool.
Maybe 3rd time will be the charm?
sts7049
AG
if they're following Leslie's to maintain it themselves then i bet they are spending more than hiring someone. i suspect following troublefreepool would be less. it didn't cost me much to keep mine up on my own. bleach is cheap.
Boo Weekley
Our pool is probably larger than most and costs $60 per week to maintain. I bet you could find a deal for $20-30/wk.

Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Our pool is probably larger than most and costs $60 per week to maintain. I bet you could find a deal for $20-30/wk.

how much jizz do you have to muck out each week?
Seabreeze
I pay 25 a week for service. Its not so much the chemicals which is pretty easy, its my work load and trying to stay on top of it. Service is chemicals, vacuum, tile and pool/spa cleaning once a week, plus filter change out twice a yr. That gets me thru the week with minimal up keep on my part during the rest of the week.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I pay $300-400/year on chemicals (chlorine pool). No chance you get weekly service for anything close to that.
Diggity
AG
Quote:

Pools are easy if you spend a little time each week and stay on top of it. Let it get out of hand and that can be another story, but even then its easy.
so a different story of ease?
coolerguy12
AG

That's a cute pool you have there. Mine costs $80/wk to maintain.

/MFBarnes
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I invented the swimming pool. /Albert Gore
Liquid Wrench
I'm a very busy and wealthy man with many, many demands on my time. Yet I pride myself of being a do it yourselfer owing to my humble working class origins, so I find the time once or twice a year to flip the swimming pool over and hose it out when it gets full of leaves and cat ***** Not all that difficult if you know what you're doing.
Boo Weekley
third coast.. said:

Can my family start hanging out at your house
I don't have a pool actually, maybe one day
Cibalo
I pay about $45/week for pool service. I can also get them to just do the chemicals for about $30/wk and I clean it. I haven't gone that route yet but probably should as it doesn't get that dirty. They also clean the filters once a quarter and ensure the equipment is running properly. I also like that I get an email after the service that says who was there, a before and after picture of the pool, and a picture of the pool condition sheet.

A few times after some hard rains the pool turned green and I just called them out and they corrected the issue at no additional charge.
AJ02
AG
We have a 40,000 gallon pool. We couldn't find a RELIABLE pool company to maintain it for less than $140-$160/month. So we started doing it ourselves. We use the liquid chlorine from pinch-a-penny & chlorine tabs. Polaris cleans the bottom, we brush the steps and sides, and scoop the pine needles out of the top when they're excessive (otherwise we just have to empty the baskets 2-3 times a day). We definitely pay less to maintain it ourselves. And if your pool is smaller than ours, you'd be paying even less to do it yourself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.