Houston
Sponsored by

Energy Providers - Who do you like?

4,785 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Football&Finance
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know we do this thread all the time, but I need to switch providers. I've been with Gexa for 9 years. They usually call me the month my contract is up -- but this year, their contact policy changed and they didn't. I know.. I know... I should have been on top of it. Anyway, they switched me to a month-to-month rate and I now have a $400 bill. They're taking only $25 off of it. So, screw them. I'm moving on.

Who do you like? Can I help save anyone some cash?

IrishTxAggie
AG
ATM1876 said:

https://www.energyogre.com
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2621980
This is the right and only answer. My summer bill went from $120 to $40 this summer versus last. The $10.month has paid for itself a number of times over now.
wessimo
AG
I had been on gexa a couple years and was loving it. Rarely had a bill above $30 for usage between 1000kwh and 1800kwh. When I renewed recently they had killed off all their cheapest plans so it was time to go.

I switched to Infuse PTC Lean Green Infusion 9. If in the winter you dip below 1000kw use a $10 space heater to get you over the threshold for the $75 credit for usage between 1000-1500kwh.
wessimo
AG
Also... www.awesomepowertexas.com - basically does what Energy Ogre does but you dont have to pay $120 a year but do have to shop yourself.
Diggity
AG
http://www.texaspowerguide.com/calculator/

this one is similar to awesomepower but you're supposed to pay $10 for it. You don't have to mess with MySmartMeter and you can sort the options.
gougler08
AG
wessimo said:

Also... www.awesomepowertexas.com - basically does what Energy Ogre does but you dont have to pay $120 a year but do have to shop yourself.

Thanks for the website, my contract is up next month and looking to get on to something better
agproducer
AG
Thanks for the help. I'm trying out energyogre. I'll see how I like it.
BigPuma
AG
powertochoose.org

If anyone wants to look at discount power directly I have a promo code that may or may not be better than the powertochoose rate. PM me
Football&Finance
AG
you don't even have to shop. the "hardest part" is setting up an account with the PUC to let awesomepower pull your usage data. From there, awesomepower scrapes powertochoose.org, compares the deal terms with your usage and spits out a ranking of deals. Then pick the deal and signup with them directly. You're just giving your savings to EnergyOgre and that assumes you achieve long-term savings.

AwesomePower is basically too good to be true. I know the co-founder, he was basically bored, wanted a coding project, and hated powertochoose. I don't think it really has a business plan either, not sure how they even pay for the server and website. it's probably out of pocket.
Bondag
Texas Ag Mom
I have also been w/Gexa for a few years. I was shopping around & I actually picked out a plan but I had not signed up when I found out about awesome power. I used it & the results showed the plan I had already picked out so I went ahead & signed up. Awesome power has a few steps to get started but it was easy. I just walked my mom thru it & I am about to help my sis & my daughter. I will use it every year because it was so easy.
chiken
AG
I'm sending you a PM
AgLA06
AG
None of them.

I try to use the cheapest one I can stand.
JSKolache
AG
Ogre. They get better deals than what you see on powertochoose. pays for itself very quickly.
David_Puddy
AG
wessimo said:

I had been on gexa a couple years and was loving it. Rarely had a bill above $30 for usage between 1000kwh and 1800kwh. When I renewed recently they had killed off all their cheapest plans so it was time to go.

I switched to Infuse PTC Lean Green Infusion 9. If in the winter you dip below 1000kw use a $10 space heater to get you over the threshold for the $75 credit for usage between 1000-1500kwh.

I guess I need to pay more attention to my bill. I've been with Gexa forever and I assume I'm on a month to month plan.
randy828
AG
so I just tried Energy Ogre....they could not come up with a plan to beat what I have currently with Bounce? I thought that was strange. Guess I will keep on with Bounce for longer.

Quote:

It looks like you were already in a good rate, so at this current market we couldn't find you much savings.
GoAgs92
AG
Football&Finance said:

you don't even have to shop. the "hardest part" is setting up an account with the PUC to let awesomepower pull your usage data. From there, awesomepower scrapes powertochoose.org, compares the deal terms with your usage and spits out a ranking of deals. Then pick the deal and signup with them directly. You're just giving your savings to EnergyOgre and that assumes you achieve long-term savings.

AwesomePower is basically too good to be true. I know the co-founder, he was basically bored, wanted a coding project, and hated powertochoose. I don't think it really has a business plan either, not sure how they even pay for the server and website. it's probably out of pocket.
I assumed they get a referral fee if you signup through their link. Just like EO does plus your $10.
The Original AG 76
AG
Champion
aggiedent
AG
Champion
inch05
AG
www.awesomepowertexas.com

as others have said. it led me to Pennywise Power which wasn't rated great, but so far, so good and the rates were great!
zidnaut
Don't sweat Pennywise's middling ratings (i.e. 2 stars on PowerToChoose) in your efforts to save $. Pennywise, Cirro, and Green Mountain are all just NRG/Reliant (5 stars) under different names: http://www.texaspowerguide.com/electricity-providers-family-tree/

Also, be aware that most of Pennywise's plans have convoluted teaser rate gimmicks, so it's good to know if a given month's predicted usage may be flirting with a steep price jump. TPG's RateGrinder and a couple other search tools break down your monthly costs graphically to help avoid surprises.
MAROON
AG
randy828 said:

so I just tried Energy Ogre....they could not come up with a plan to beat what I have currently with Bounce? I thought that was strange. Guess I will keep on with Bounce for longer.

Quote:

It looks like you were already in a good rate, so at this current market we couldn't find you much savings.

actually it sounds like you just did business with an honest company that told you they couldn't beat what you already had. Be happy. When your Bounce contract expires go back to ogre to see what they can find.
randy828
AG
MAROON said:

randy828 said:

Quote:

actually it sounds like you just did business with an honest company that told you they couldn't beat what you already had. Be happy. When your Bounce contract expires go back to ogre to see what they can find.
Exactly...and they even refunded the $10, which I did not ask them to do when I cancelled.
NoahAg
I liked TXU, but then they changed their recipe.

Went with Gexa b/c they have bigger portions and a free side.

With Reliant now b/c they have a gluten free option.

It's electricity. Go w/ who's cheapest.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Ogre is not compatible with a credit freeze. I have one in place after a bad ID theft incident last year. You can give permission for specific creditors to check but Ogre couldn't navigate this. I then paid for a temporary unfreeze, but Ogre still couldn't figure it out. I ended up canceling.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Flashdiaz
AG
the only reason these companies exist is to bill customers, that's it.

The real energy provider is centerpoint (for most) and that rate is the same regardless of who you use.
Football&Finance
AG
Flashdiaz said:

the only reason these companies exist is to bill customers, that's it.

The real energy provider is centerpoint (for most) and that rate is the same regardless of who you use.
That's not how the power market works. Centerpoint is the regulated utility in Houston (excluding the Woodlands) that provides transmission and delivery of your power, it doesn't have any generation. Though, to your point, it probably accounts for 40-50% of your bill these days after their recent rate increases that are passed on to users.

Your provider is responsible for sourcing the generation and delivering it into the Centerpoint transmission network. The REP is paying a wholesaler/generator a price and trying to earn a spread on what they've contracted with you. The better rate you can get with the retail provider, the smaller your bill will be, even if you don't really have a say in 40% of your bill (the pass-through from the utility).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.