Houston
Sponsored by

TSA Pre-check enrollment at IAH - how much time?

1,548 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgCPA95
Football&Finance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm an idiot and have been taking off my shoes/belt for years because I never wanted to make an appt, well I just noticed they have a facility in the baggage claim now and I'm thinking about squeezing an appt in before a flight. Fingerprints and checking your ID shouldn't take too long, but this is the government...

so does anyone have any experience with the center at IAH? am I extra dumb for thinking 30mins is enough time to budget for the appt?

TIA
htxag09
AG
Should be. But you typically have to schedule appointments way in advance.

Also, just pay the extra $10 or whatever and do global entry.
longeryak
Actual time answering questions and getting the digital scan of your finger prints is 5-10 minutes.
BMX Bandit
It will take you longer to park
Your Friend
I don't remember there even being questions. Just verified my personal info and a thumb print. Literally 5 minutes. But as someone said, it's by appt only
Diggity
AG
I got some email about Houston being part of a pilot program where you can do your TSA interview upon arrival without any appointment.
htxag09
AG
I'm not sure of the name, but yes, this is a thing. The travel board has discussed it. I've just never paid much attention as I already have it.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
I was called in for my 1PM around 1:20 and then it took about 10 minutes.
AgCPA95
AG
htxag09 said:

Should be. But you typically have to schedule appointments way in advance.

Also, just pay the extra $10 or whatever and do global entry.
This x 100 if you every plan to fly internationally. Includes Pre and also takes just a few minutes with appt.
Football&Finance
AG
Lot Y Tailgate said:

I was called in for my 1PM around 1:20 and then it took about 10 minutes.
Running behind schedule is what I worry about. I have a 9:00am appt and a 10:30 flt (it's a daytrip, so not worried about baggage or getting overhead space). If they run over 30mins, then I start getting anxious.
htxag09
AG
Show up early. It's not guaranteed you'll get seen obviously. But I was done before my actual appointment time.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
There isn't a penalty if you no show.
Al Bula
AG
BMX Bandit said:

It will take you longer to park
sage advice.

Pro tip: just avoid hunting for a parking spot and go directly to the top of the garage and take the elevator. It is the E terminal garage I believe.
fire09
AG
I was rejected from precheck back in 2016 with zero explanation. I am a US citizen and at the time possessed a valid known crewmember badge. The system is stupid.
drwong
AG
They have two at IAH, one before security and one after security. I've only done the before security one and it was fast, maybe 10 mins. I'd think the after security one would have less of a crowd.
BMX Bandit
fire09 said:

I was rejected from precheck back in 2016 with zero explanation. I am a US citizen and at the time possessed a valid known crewmember badge. The system is stupid.
or you are a terrorist.
AggieChemE09
AG
fire09 said:

Must've been flying United.
AgCPA95
AG
drwong said:

They have two at IAH, one before security and one after security. I've only done the before security one and it was fast, maybe 10 mins. I'd think the after security one would have less of a crowd.
Getting an appointment at the location beyond security is much easier. One trick is to book the appointment you want Global Entry and then book a fully refundable ticket on United for hours later the same day at your appointment. One you complete your Global Entry meeting cancel you fully refundable ticket = profit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.