Houston
Sponsored by

Speaking of steak....

10,829 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is THE place you go to? Is there a place that has steak that's close to what you can make at home?

I've tried:

Pappas Steakhouse
Taste of Texas
Ruth's Chris
Lynn's Steakhouse
Vic & Anthony's
Brennan's of Houston
Saltgrass (LOL)

Have NOT tried
Smith & Wollensky

What is your absolute favorite steak? Not necessarily for the atmosphere, but for the taste of the steak itself. That said, money is not an issue.

So far, mine is Taste of Texas, though, I can't have it served with that butter crap served on a Sirloin Stockade "sizzling" plate.

Rib Eye, medium-rare, with their dry rub seasoning
Ag_07
AG
spyderag06
AG
Killen's Steakhouse
B&B Butcher's

I didn't like One Fifth that much.
979ag
AG
B&B Butchers by far. Best steak in Houston.

Also try Steak 48 on Westiemer, I know a lot of people who enjoy their steaks
David_Puddy
AG
The 12 oz filet at Eddie Vs.....rare plus
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
List invalid. No Perrys.
Madman
AG
V&A
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Haven't been to B&B yet so I can't comment on that place but with all the others I'd put Ritual and One-Fifth up there with every other place. Maybe higher than every one I've been to besides Pappas.

And I don't want to disparage folks choices but Taste of Texas isn't much better than Texas Roadhouse.
schmendeler
AG
texas roadhouse. they have the best rolls. and free peanuts, too! did you know you can just throw the shells on the ground? so crazy!
cr0wbar
AG
my memory is short, but the best NY strip I've had was at Brenner's off i10
HtownAg92
AG
Quote:

What is THE place you go to? Is there a place that has steak that's close to what you can make at home?
Can't tell if this is a troll, especially since Taste of Texas came out the winner.

If serious, here is the answer - not one of the prime steakhouses has steak close to what I can make at home because:

1. I probably cannot get the same cut of meat
2. I don't have the time or capacity to dry age or properly age the meat
3. I cannot broil my meat at super high temperatures like the high end steak places do

So, they do things that aren't close to what I can do at home.
White Liberals=The Worst
Del Frisco's and Pappas.
07fta07
AG
Killens and V&A are always great. I've had mixed experiences at Brenner's, but when they're on their game, it's hard to beat.
schmellba99
AG
Pappa's and Killen's for me. Cullen's, when it was still open, made a hell of a good steak a well.

Rumor has it Keemah Steak Company is a hidden gem, haven't been there yet though to make an accurate determination.
DiskoTroop
There are several places to get a decent steak in town. My current favorite place is Vallone's Italian Steakhouse on Gessner. Great dry aged beef.

Jonathan's the Rub is good. Flemings is respectable.

My problem isn't quality. You can find quality steaks cooked perfectly in Houston, Tx. My problem is cost. If I can buy a super PRIME ribeye and cook it at home perfectly for less than $25/lb (totally doable btw...) why on Gods green earth would I ever consider paying $50+ for that steak?
Mikeyshooter
AG
Let's do a burger thread tomorrow
Science Denier
AG
I'll admit my last trip to Taste of Texas was a bit of a disappointment. But above the other steaks I've listed above, their steaks have been more tender (texture), juicy and flavorful than any I listed above in my previous trips.

Now, if you want to just look at the steak and say wow, that looks great, then probably it's not the best. However, I prefer to eat it.

Seems I'm going have to try B&B.
NoahAg
B&B is awesome.
gindaloon
AG
Most of these places get their meat from the same 1 or 2 purveyors so it really boils down to how you like it prepared. Some like a rub or season blend. Some prefer salt and pepper. Some like a "crust" on the outside of their steak. Others do not. Some like their steak swimming in a stick butter. Others not so much.
Science Denier
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

There are several places to get a decent steak in town. My current favorite place is Vallone's Italian Steakhouse on Gessner. Great dry aged beef.

Jonathan's the Rub is good. Flemings is respectable.

My problem isn't quality. You can find quality steaks cooked perfectly in Houston, Tx. My problem is cost. If I can buy a super PRIME ribeye and cook it at home perfectly for less than $25/lb (totally doable btw...) why on Gods green earth would I ever consider paying $50+ for that steak?
I agree with this. There are some good butchers around that give me excellent steak. Also, my seasoning and the cooking technique produce very good steaks. My family doesn't like to go out for steaks often because they like mine better. Same with relatives and friends we've had over. Like you said, it's hard to beat, so why pay double.

Of those I listed above....those with the hot broilers, don't have the good texture, nor the good wood flavor that adds to the taste of steak. Some of them actually cook them on a freaking grill (fry - yuk).

That said, I'm in search of a place that can beat mine.
Texaggie7nine
Steak Kountry EOT
7nine
gigemJTH12
AG
Taste of Texas sucks
SJEAg
AG
Mastros will likely be a contender once it opens in a few months - Fertitta classes (and prices) it above his other brands (V&A, Brenners, Mortons). Been to one in CA, and it was excellent.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG

Most of those places can make a great steak, but the atmosphere and service there puts it above the rest.
wessimo
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Steak Kountry EOT

Closed. Pour one out.
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Of those I listed above....those with the hot broilers, don't have the good texture, nor the good wood flavor that adds to the taste of steak. Some of them actually cook them on a freaking grill (fry - yuk).
you seem to dislike the exact attributes of why people enjoy a high quality steak in a steakhouse. i'll take a fried/broiled crust over wood smoke taste any day.
gindaloon
AG
Quote:

My family doesn't like to go out for steaks often because they like mine better. Same with relatives and friends we've had over.
They are just being polite.
Science Denier
AG
schmendeler said:

Quote:

you seem to dislike the exact attributes of why people enjoy a high quality steak in a steakhouse. i'll take a fried/broiled crust over wood smoke taste any day.
No, I'm not. I'm saying the places I listed above don't do it correctly. I'd rather have the wood flavor and the seasoning with the Taste of Texas steaks than the steaks from the others on my list.

We've eaten at steakhouses that do the broilers correctly. The texture and tenderness is perfect. There was a Bob's chophouse in Carmel that did it right, and a place in New York City called NY Yankee's Steakhouse that did it correctly. Those steaks were better than what I can do, and my family agrees with that. Trying to find a steakhouse here in Houston that's that good.

I've never had a steak that I liked that was cooked on a metal grill. Now, a Philly Steak Sandwich is a different animal. :-)

We used to go to Papa's Steakhouse a long time ago. We spent a decade away from Texas and when we moved back, it wasn't NEARLY as good. Seemed they stopped seasoning the meat, and it didn't have the right crusting and the texture was horrible. It was sad what they did to that piece of meat they served me, when compared to what they used to do. My oldest didn't even finish it. We obviously stopped going there.
StillNotAnAggie
B&B,
V&A
and although not "in town" Robard's in The Woodlands makes a great steak as well.
Science Denier
AG
gindaloon said:

Quote:

My family doesn't like to go out for steaks often because they like mine better. Same with relatives and friends we've had over.
They are just being polite.
LOL, That certainly could be the case.

In fact, I would say that's exactly the case if my kids were throwing in their opinions. They criticize EVERYTHING I do when they get the chance.
Panama Red
AG
jblaschke said:

schmendeler said:

Quote:

No, I'm not. I'm saying the places I listed above don't do it correctly. I'd rather have the wood flavor and the seasoning with the Taste of Texas steaks than the steaks from the others on my list.

We've eaten at steakhouses that do the broilers correctly. The texture and tenderness is perfect. There was a Bob's chophouse in Carmel that did it right, and a place in New York City called NY Yankee's Steakhouse that did it correctly. Those steaks were better than what I can do, and my family agrees with that. Trying to find a steakhouse here in Houston that's that good.

I've never had a steak that I liked that was cooked on a metal grill. Now, a Philly Steak Sandwich is a different animal. :-)

We used to go to Papa's Steakhouse a long time ago. We spent a decade away from Texas and when we moved back, it wasn't NEARLY as good. Seemed they stopped seasoning the meat, and it didn't have the right crusting and the texture was horrible. It was sad what they did to that piece of meat they served me, when compared to what they used to do. My oldest didn't even finish it. We obviously stopped going there.

She may have just been watching her figure.
Your Friend
jblaschke said:

schmendeler said:

Quote:

How do you prepare yours at home?
Science Denier
AG
Panama Red said:

jblaschke said:

schmendeler said:

Quote:

She may have just been watching her figure.
Nice...
1. I have two sons
2. My oldest is a big boy.
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

How do you prepare yours at home?
1. I start with prime beef steaks. I have a butcher I use, but sometimes, if it's on sale, I get HEB Prime 1. It's good. When it goes on sale, it's just too good to pass up.
2. I'll mix up the cuts, sometimes I'll cook ribeye, sometimes strip, porterhouse and sometimes fillets. Just depends on how each looks. I'd say ribeye is the favorite.
3. I let the meat sit out 4-5 hours before cooking to get to room temp
4. Just before cooking, I season the meat with spice blend of garlic, pepper, and McCormick's Steak seasoning
5. I then tenderize the meat with a fork, getting some of the seasoning into the meat

Cooking

6. I have a Primo grill/smoker
7. I soak a blend of wood chunks (not chips) for at least 1 hour, usually longer. Blend of hickory and cherry. Mesquite is too strong in the Primo
8. I preheat the Primo to 650-700, with the cooking racks turned DOWN
9. Once the Primo gets to proper temp, I throw in the wood chunks, flip the cooking racks, and sear the steaks for 1.5 min
10. I then flip the steaks, and cook to an internal temp of 120 (usually another min or two)
11. Once steaks get to 120, I shut down Primo and let sit for another couple of min and internal temp is usually around 130.
12. When served, I don't put them all in one platter. I have everyone go outside and I put the steak directly on their plate to preserve max juice on their plate

YUM!!!
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

3. I let the meat sit out 4-5 hours before cooking to get to room temp

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.