Houston
Sponsored by

Firefighters petitioning for pay equal to HPD

9,330 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NICU Dad
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Firefighters are going around trying to get signatures for a ballot measure to equalize HFD pay scales with HPD. Any perspectives on this? Seems like they are very different jobs. Do other cities pay the same for both?
themissinglink
AG
I have no idea what the going rate is for fire and police, but my understanding is fire fighter's pay are below other cities in exchange for very generous pension benefits. If they raise HFD's pay, they need to take a look at adjusting the pension.
aTm2004
AG
HFD pay is near the bottom when it comes to big cities. Austin pays their FD much more than Houston.

Compared to HPD: http://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-firefighters-fighting-for-equal-pay

Quote:

"Firefighters have only received a three percent pay increase as opposed to our counterparts -- who we have nothing but respect for, our brothers and sisters in blue at the Police Department -- who have gotten a 26 percent pay raise."
As it stands, a firefighter trainee starts at a little more than $28,000 a year, while a police cadet earns $42,000.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I say this as the son of 15 year rural volunteer fire dept volunteer- I think the danger faced and skills required in the average day of a patrol officer vs. firefighter justify a pay disparity in favor of law enforcement. Though I recognize structure fires and high-density housing of an urban setting carry greater risks than rural volunteer service.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
HDeathstar
Change their pension to a 401k plan and then pay them enough to keep people in the job positions (a market rate). If they can make more elsewhere, let them go and hire someone else. If we can't get anyone, then raise the pay until we do. To many cities are all racing each other to bankruptcy by continuing to pay city employees more and more, especially expensive pension benefits that are way out of date.
montanagriz
S
They took their pensions away... a guy just left the fire dept with Houston. He basically made like 36k but i can ask him again...the main point is they took away their retirement. Their is a mass exodus going on from the way he describes it. So now he is working with me at Valero refinery. Has a pension now at valero and making a lot more money than he ever has before
aTm2004
AG
They didn't take them away. My uncle has been with HFD for over 30 years and from what I understand, they're re-doing the pensions so they get paid less. Pretty chitty for those already retired and those who are close to retirement.

Also, whoever handles the pension has exclusive authority to calculate how they come up with the annual rate of return. With this, the CoH also gets a say into how it's calculated, which is why there is a lawsuit...Because the CoH is obviously coming up with lower rates of return.

But like you said, there are many who can retire who are starting the process. There are also a ton of call offs, resulting in OT paid to those working. Let's not forget that it took a lawsuit to be won by the HFD before the CoH paid them back OT pay. Imagine how you would feel if you worked OT and your employer didn't pay you for it. Do you think that chit happens to HPD? We're also not talking about a few hundred bucks. My uncle paid off his house with his.
KDubAg
AG
My brother works for HPD, I work for HFD. We are pretty much same rank and same time. He makes more about $28,000 to $30,000 more than me.

Pensions were stripped down bc Turner and the city played some dirty politics. We don't get social security so pension is our only form of retirement. Now that the city jacked up the FFs pension, with no pay increases FFs are leaving in droves. If surrounding cities and towns are paying $20,000 more for less work, what do you think they'll do?
aggivedave16
Don't FF's sit around, work out, and cook 98% of the time?
idAg09
aggivedave16 said:

Don't FF's sit around, work out, and cook 98% of the time?

Yeah but that 2%!
bigjag19
AG
So what I hear is in the event of medical emergency, go to the nearby city that's not Houston?
KDubAg
AG
Not going to lie. There are some apparatuses that are slow and make a few runs a day. They're typically the specialized units like towers, ladder trucks, hazmat, rescue. But some days they are busy. HFD runs all the EMS calls too. So some stations and units are constantly running. I know when I was on the squad (ALS) unit on SW side, we ran none stop. We would be lucky to be at the station 4 hours in a 24 hour shift. 15 min here, 20 min there, 5 min here. Took me about 10 years to get to a slower station to actually relax a little.

It used to be Willowbrook and Kingwood were the retirement stations, but population increased out there so they are getting busy too. We don't have janitors or yards guys, so we clean our own stations and units everyday. Every week we do yard day.

Everyday during the week HFD so busy we go into "resource management". Basically mean 80% of the EMS units are out of service due to run volume.

City has neglected the fire dept fleet maintenance and front line units for years. Most fire apparatus do not have functioning ACs or have major oil leaks. Instead of fixing the leak, Maintenace guys just give us gallons of oil to take to the station to refill.

Houston's population has increased drastically over the years since I've been in but the size of the dept has pretty much stayed the same. The city and dept head has been trying to do more with less but it's wearing and tearing down the units and fleet cannot keep up with the maintenance.

The city also cut $24 million from HFD budget, but increased HPD $6 million+ for 2018.

When I got in about 13 years ago, thousands applied and took the civil service test for the HFD. Recently only ~230 took the civil service test and not all are candidates for an academy class. I was told by an assistant chief, for every 3 candidate, one person makes the class.

All I can say is you get what the city pays for.

Just a comparison between in numbers.

tamuags08
AG
Quote:

We don't get social security

Do you pay into social security?
KDubAg
AG
No, we do not pay into SS. We contribute about 10% into the pension fund.

However, if you work side jobs, you do pay SS but there is a Windfall Elimination Provision that significantly reduces your SS benefits compared to people who are eligible for SS. Basically you may get back a quarter on the dollar. If that.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How does the Revenue Generated line in the table above work?
HDeathstar
No SS since they do not pay into it. Same setup as the teacher unions.

Wish the chart above showed Total compensation vs salaries and comparison to another non-public employee. Pension benefit for both will bring the total compensation up.
KDubAg
AG
HFD side.. I don't know all but I would assume majority of revenue generated would be from EMS transports. Transport alone to ER is about $1100, not including cost per mile and additional costs for treatments by EMTs. Other revenue would include fines from fire inspectors.

No transport = no bill. So if units are dispatched to location, patient is evaluated/treated and refuses to go to ER, no bill even though that unit is tied up on a call for an hour or so.

HPD, tickets and fines I guess.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
As a comparison, Austin FD pays over 18% of their check into their pension. Just throwing that out there.
swimmerbabe11
Does Austin have their EMS/FD consolidated as well?
aTm2004
AG
Doesn't look like it.
swimmerbabe11
Then that is pretty ridiculous.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Austin EMS and fire are seperate entities. But ems medics are city employees as well.
swimmerbabe11
O'Doyle Rules said:

Austin EMS and fire are seperate entities. But ems medics are city employees as well.

Right, so HFD requires more expertise and work bit pays les...correct?
O'Doyle Rules
AG
I dont know if HFD runs ALS engines or not. Austin does not. HFD pays firefighters that are paramedics a stipend if im correct. (per their website). Austin pays a higher salary, but the employees have more taken out of their check for the pension . HFD pays their employees LESS than austin, but each employee doesnt personally have to pay as much into their pension. And if I understand correctly, HFD's schedule lends itself to working less per month than a typical 24 on 48 off schedule like austin and most departments operate under.
aTm2004
AG
I believe HFD is 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off. They also have debit days where they essentially work for free.
KDubAg
AG
Like mentioned before Austin FFs do not run EMS, although they assist EMS. HFD FFs do both fire and EMS. Some FFs for HFD are medics and get certification pay. Those medic rotate on the pumper and onto ALS units. There are some pumpers they run with paramedics depending on manpower staffing for the day.

We work a 46.7 hour work week.
HFD covers 654 Sq miles (2015 stats)
2 million residents but during the week, population can get to 4 million plus
4100 FFs that staff fire apparatuses and EMS units.
HFD responds to about 333,000 calls a year. (About 912-1000+ calls a day).
HFD cadet makes 28,024
After 1 yr 43,528
After 3 yr 48,190

Austin covers 308 sq miles (2014 stats)
853,000 population (I think)
1129 FFs that do fire only
89,000 calls in a year
Cadet makes 34,212
After 1 yr 56,447
After 3 yr 66,854

We lose HFD guys to Austin a lot. More pay for less work and NO EMS transports.

The HFD FFs are petitioning to let voters decide in November to get FFs fair pay with HPD.

swimmerbabe11
To be honest, I think it is silly to compare to hpd. Those are two completely different jobs. However, comparing to fire departments that don't run EMS, medstar (like in Fort Worth who only does EMS) and other cities that do the combo is completely reasonable and still gives yall plenty of reason to have beef.

Why compare to police when you have more apples to apples comparisons?
KDubAg
AG
Because we have been comparing ourselves to other large fire departments like Chicago, New York, Dallas, etc. the last 8-10 years since we started collective bargaining with no avail. The city has never really treated HFD fair and honest during negotiations. HPD has always been getting decent pay comparable to other police departments but not fire.

The city knows when you need fire and EMS, we will come at once unlike PD who can queue calls in waiting hours before responding. There was a time when HFD was the place to go and be the best. Now HFD is a stepping stone. Free training by CoH and once your certified, they are leaving and applying to better paying fire depts.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
My hunch is that it is easier to go to the voters with the strategy of equal pay with hpd (lots of low information voters out there) vs trying to talk about other cities' fire/Ems pay structure.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

Now HFD is a stepping stone. Free training by CoH and once your certified, they are leaving and applying to better paying fire depts.
Right. So if the city is showing you and all the other firefighters that they don't want you anymore and there are lots of other options available, why are you still working for them? And why are you working to get a petition signed to change all that? Leave like everyone else for the better opportunities.

You don't owe the City your loyalty. In fact, by remaining employed by the City while their pay sucks is only making the problem worse. Pay won't rise until there isn't enough labor supply to satisfy their demand. If you really want to solve the problem, go work at a suburb department and convince all your buddies to do the same. Nothing will change at the City until houses start burning down and insurance rates skyrocket accordingly.
htownag10
AG
Have you been walking around getting signatures? I just got a handful today in about 45 min. We are making a push this weekend from the academy. Trying to help the best we can

See you around the city once I graduate in November
htownag10
AG
A website for more info is
Letthevotersdecide.us
Liquid Wrench
htownag10 said:

Have you been walking around getting signatures? I just got a handful today in about 45 min. We are making a push this weekend from the academy. Trying to help the best we can

See you around the city once I graduate in November
Looked like one of my neighbors had a table and petition book set up in their driveway yesterday but they weren't out when I walked by.
htownag10
AG
Should set up at memorial park haha. Better view and probably more success
KDubAg
AG
agnerd said:

Quote:

Now HFD is a stepping stone. Free training by CoH and once your certified, they are leaving and applying to better paying fire depts.
Right. So if the city is showing you and all the other firefighters that they don't want you anymore and there are lots of other options available, why are you still working for them? And why are you working to get a petition signed to change all that? Leave like everyone else for the better opportunities.

You don't owe the City your loyalty. In fact, by remaining employed by the City while their pay sucks is only making the problem worse. Pay won't rise until there isn't enough labor supply to satisfy their demand. If you really want to solve the problem, go work at a suburb department and convince all your buddies to do the same. Nothing will change at the City until houses start burning down and insurance rates skyrocket accordingly.
Me personally. One, I'm too old to apply to most other fire dept. Usually there's an age cutoff. Around 35 or 36. Second, I'm kind of already vested in this department. With almost 14 years in, I can hit 20 years, get some small retirement from the pension and then find a different profession. Or since I'm already half way through 30 years, finish at 30 and go from there. And your right, I don't owe the city my loyalty. It didn't take long working here to figure out the city really does not care for us or the safety of it citizens.

I mentioned before, I've never seen so many retirement notices like what's going on now. Usually it's one notice every week or two. I saw nine in one day. There are a lot of young guys leaving too that only have 3 years or less. A lot of them are applying to the refinerys. That's wasted tax dollars, not keeping those young guys here. Taxpayers paid for their training.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.