Houston
Sponsored by

PSA: sod webworms are back

32,635 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Spore Ag
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw some gray moths in my yard earlier this week (last year the moths were white for me) and have already started to treat. However, I've got a few spots where they have torn through in just a couple of days.

From what I have read, they really enjoyed the milder June we had.
Liquid Wrench
Saw them earlier this year for the first time ever. *******s work fast.

edit: "Illegitimate sons"
Aggie GIGolo
AG
ditto noticed them today out in Katy also
Ag_07
AG
How do you treat for these things?
Liquid Wrench
Sprinkle poison.

Though it wasn't gray moths I saw, but some kind of moth that was feasting on the grass. You could catch a swarm hovering over the lawn.
Satellite of Love
Ag_07 said:

Lowe's sells a spray bottle that hooks up to the hose. Two treatments and it shall cure your problems.
lunchbox
Satellite of Love said:

Ag_07 said:

Lowe's sells a spray bottle that hooks up to the hose. Two treatments and it shall cure your problems.

My brother and I are treating with different brands. I'll try to remember to let you know if there was a comparable difference.

He went with Ortho because it has Bifen in it. I went with Bayer Advanced because it worked for me last year.
Motis B Totis
AG
I saw them today also. I got two big bags of the granules and will see if that gets me through the year. Last year I did not treat and my grass is still recovering. I don't have sprinklers though.
CDUB98
AG
My lawn is still recovering from last year. I hate those ****ing *******s.
Cromagnum
AG
Besides seeing moths fly around are there any other signs besides dead grass? I may buy some poison anyways just for good measure.
wolfpack759
AG
The tips of blades of grass will look like they have been chewed. My grass just stopped growing. I looked closer and just about each blade was gnawed on.

I used Bacillus thuringinsis or Bt spray on mine and I no longer have issues. I'm sure Bifen works just as well.
keysercade
AG
If you live near Wabash's new location, they have a dry treatment that worked wonders for us last year.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I had them last year so my neighbors had them as well. I'm the only one that treated. Guess what I just discovered while mowing my yard?
Sazerac
AG
Just saw them in my yard as well. Treating today.
lunchbox
well...just got 3" of rain in about 90 mins.

did yesterdays spraying get washed away? do i need to retreat sooner than the 6-7 days i would need to retreat anyway?
gigemJTH12
AG
this is what I sprayed last year based off rec from this website. I got to it so late though. So I dont know if it worked. Going to reapply today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZSOV9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HDeathstar
I am going to retreat after the rain. I am using the Black Flag yard spray bottle from lowes and it appears to work. Very few around after first treatment.
gigemJTH12
AG
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Flag-Extreme-32-oz-Ready-to-Spray-Lawn-Insect-Killer-Plus-Fungus-Control-HG-11111/300339839

Is this the one?
AlaskanAg99
AG
If using Bt, it breaks the egg cycle, which is why you have to do 3 applications. Killing the existing moths won't erridicate them if you can't kill the eggs.
HDeathstar
gigem - that is the one. So far so good.
smokeythebear
AG
So does regular watering keep these guys away?
lunchbox
smokeythebear said:

So does regular watering keep these guys away?
Nope - you've got to kill them...over and over again
KW02
AG
Other product suggestions?
Aggiemike96
AG
Here is a link to an article published by Texas Cooperative Extension (TAMU).

Harris County Sod Webworm Info
PeekingDuck
AG
I think these moths must be what keep popping up in front of my mower. Didn't realize they were such a big issue.
smokeythebear
AG
Ok, thanks! Luckily I don't think I've been infected by them yet, just was wondering if I was safe because of watering or if I still need to keep an eye out for them.
SJEAg
AG
Haven't been hit by these yet, but chinch bugs did a real number on my lawn this month.
RK
AG
noticed them this morning when I took out the trash. time to spray. they murdered part of my lawn last year.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
KW02 said:

Other product suggestions?

Beneficial nematodes. One of my daughters had tried the chemical solution with so so results last year and I mentioned using BNs based on an article I had read. One treatment knocked them out.
Sazerac
AG
where do you get those?
Sazerac
AG
did some research,

Thuricide works well and is organic (not a pesticide). Only $16/pint on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-803-Thuricide-Insect-16-Ounce/dp/B001D1H6SE

Col. Steve Austin
AG
nm
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I think I have these little f-ers. They look like moths and go into a low swam when I walk to my car in the morning.

What should I look for at ACE?
NCNJ1217
AG
wolfpack759 said:

The tips of blades of grass will look like they have been chewed. My grass just stopped growing. I looked closer and just about each blade was gnawed on.

I used Bacillus thuringinsis or Bt spray on mine and I no longer have issues. I'm sure Bifen works just as well.
Did you have to do the 3x within 10 days or just one treatment?
pnut02
AG
Looks like these guys showed up while I was on vacation. Those that have tried different products, report back please!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.