Houston
Sponsored by

online MBA programs

1,647 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The D
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have been working for 10 years.. got my BS from ATM..

my question is are online MBA's worth the money, if so which ones

or do you guys advice against them?
Al Bula
AG
Jules_Winnfield said:

Have been working for 10 years.. got my BS from ATM..

my question is are online MBA's worth the money, if so which ones

or do you guys advice against them?
I advice against them 100%
Jules_Winnfield
Ok

I appreciate the advice... that's what I have been leaning towards but wanted to get others input.

I asked people at work and got mixed answers but was thinking they may be a waste of time.
jpc08
AG
A major benefit of an MBA program is networking with your cohorts, not something you'll get much of from an online program. Really it all depends on what you want to do post MBA.

Career change? Online is probably not worth it.

Move up with current company? Maybe worth it (more so if the company is paying for it).

All depends on what you want to get out of it.
Texaggie7nine
jpc08 said:

A major benefit of an MBA program is networking with your cohorts, not something you'll get much of from an online program. Really it all depends on what you want to do post MBA.

Career change? Online is probably not worth it.

Move up with current company? Maybe worth it (more so if the company is paying for it).

All depends on what you want to get out of it.
Exactly. I've had buddies that basically had promotions sitting and waiting for them at their current companies once they had that title next to their name. For them it didn't matter much whether it was online or not.

If it's for resume padding, I'd stay away from online.
7nine
chimpanzee
If I'm looking at two resumes that are otherwise equal and one had an online MBA but a relatively mediocre undergrad record and the other had a good undergrad GPA from a decent school, I'd call them equal.
Jules_Winnfield
To be a little bit more clear about my intentions of going for an MBA . I am not looking for a career change and I am not looking to change jobs I am merely looking to get a little bit more knowledge about the business operations and processes.

My degree from Texas A&M is math and science-based and my professional certificate is the same.

My company will be paying for 50% of my degree .
Token
AG
Just do a part time mba if they're paying 50%
Jules_Winnfield
One of two determined factors in me not getting a promotion at work was my management experience. While an MBA won't give me management experience I think it will provide me with Concepts and foundational knowledge that I can apply at work.
Token
AG
An online MBA won't give you any real chance to manage teams on a regular basis whereas a part time one will, IMO

But yes, you will learn a ton of business concepts in any MBA program, in person or online
Dr. Nefario
Token said:

An online MBA won't give you any real chance to manage teams on a regular basis whereas a part time one will, IMO

This may be true if you're talking about University of Phoenix or some backwoods directional school, but when I hire online MBA grads, it's out of schools like IU and UNC specifically because they're uniquely prepared for managing remote teams.
The D
AG
The night program at at cougar high is pretty decent, especially if you are in the energy industry. It's not great or anything but relatively cheap.

The campus does feel like you are in Mumbai however. But the evening part time classes isn't as bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.