Houston
Sponsored by

Uber has competition after new bill

11,739 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sts7049
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ClickClack said:

Ag_07 said:

A lot of Uber drivers don't like it because they always like to have someone in the car. The goal is to have no wasted miles.

A fare to BFE might be a nice haul but the chances of picking up someone out there to come back into town are slim.

But yeah if she didn't like she shouldn't be driving.

Oh trust me I know. But I promise you $25 in 30 mins and taking a chance on getting a fare back (50/50) is better than putzing around for min fares ($2.40 net).

And this is why uber is largely un-sustainable for drivers. It's mostly minimum fares. If they didn't take so much off the top in flat fees (which amounts to 60% of a min fare) it could work.
i know a guy that was working an event in Vail, doing short runs getting people to their hotels. He ended up with a rider wanting to go to DIA (90+ miles) about 11pm. Great fare, but he had to go back to Vail because he had gotten a hotel and his stuff was there. 4 hour round trip and obviously ended his night. This is why drivers don't know destinations, they would pick and choose and that could greatly effect the riders ability to get a ride.
David_Puddy
AG
Just took an Uber who violated 2 of my cardinal no nos - immediate call & low a/c. No tip for this clown
Panama Red
AG
Got an "immediate call" today where the guy said "This is uber. I am on my way."

Thanks for the update?

4*

tipping was not an option.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Was he really far away? Sometimes they do that if they are far away so that way the person is less likely to cancel on them. Sucks for the driver if they drive to the person and they cancel.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
David_Puddy said:

Just took an Uber who violated 2 of my cardinal no nos - immediate call & low a/c. No tip for this clown
I lie to immediate calls. "Yeah, I'm headed to the airport!" Followed by 2 mile fare from downtown to home.
Jock 07
AG
Have we discussed if you're supposed to tip if you take an Uber to a sonic?
aTm2004
AG
It's a pass through tip.
Jock 07
AG
Another uber question that I didn't want to start a whole new thread for, what is uber VIP? Just saw this pop up for the first time. Seems to be the same rate as the regular uber. If I used this service would I be able to get a car quicker?
The Wonderer
AG
Jock 07 said:

Another uber question that I didn't want to start a whole new thread for, what is uber VIP? Just saw this pop up for the first time. Seems to be the same rate as the regular uber. If I used this service would I be able to get a car quicker?
https://www.uber.com/drive/houston/resources/uber-vip/
GarlandAg2012
AG
The Wonderer said:

Jock 07 said:

https://www.uber.com/drive/houston/resources/uber-vip/
As a rider, theoretically you get better drivers, though I haven't noticed that strong of a trend.
schmendeler
AG
took a Lyft in boston and a dude in a taxi cab pulled up. that was bizarre.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Same thing happened to me in New Orleans but it may have been Uber and not lyft
sts7049
AG
maybe the taxi drivers are trying to be sneaky. there must be a way to flag that in the app.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.