Houston
Sponsored by

Uber has competition after new bill

11,732 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sts7049
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I for one am happy there will be competition among the ride sharing apps. I was in NYC over the weekend and the new app there is Juno. I hope it comes to Houston as well.

Quote:

HOUSTON -- The battle for your business is officially on. Lyft announced Monday it's set to return to Houston later this week and Uber says it looks forward to the competition.

Governor Greg Abbott signed House Bill 100 into law Monday morning. The legislation overrides cities own regulations of ride sharing companies.

"Every company is going to be able to compete in an open market place to provide the best product that consumers want the most," said Abbott.

At the signing ceremony, the Governor took pointed jabs at cities like Houston who demanded fingerprint background checks of drivers. It's that city regulation that made Lyft leave Houston in the first place.
Aggie09Derek
AG
If lyft is smart they will be a tad more selective and will be known as having the better drivers (yes their drivers will still drive for Uber also). Uber in Houston could be the slightly cheaper option but on average worse drivers/cars and no ability to tip.

Uber really screws their drivers so will be Lyft is able to gain footing here again and can be just as easy to get rides as uber is.
aTm2004
AG
I guess this means California, TX will now have Uber and Lyft back as well?
Rusty GCS
AG
Yes. Saw an article from one of their papers.
The Wonderer
AG
aTm2004 said:

I guess this means California, TX will now have Uber and Lyft back as well?
Yes, both have announced intent to return to that marketplace.
Ag_07
AG
Uber has really slipped in the quality of drivers and their cars.

Also, not really an Uber complaint but how do drivers not know how to get anywhere when they drive people around town for hours a day?
The Wonderer
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also, not really an Uber complaint but how do drivers not know how to get anywhere when they drive people around town for hours a day?
I've confused a couple by driving from Heights to Spring and Spring to Heights. Taking people from areas they aren't used to and having them drive somewhere they are unfamiliar with.
RK
AG
nice HB veiled as a ride-sharing thread.
Liquid Wrench
Ag_07 said:

Well, when you have a way for foreigners who want to be cab drivers do it without going through a licensing or training program or dispatcher to call when they're lost, you get lost foreigners coming to pick you up.
Aggie09Derek
AG
The way the pay is structured now the drivers driving during the middle of the day are people willing to sit in their car for 12-16 hours in a day to make minimum wage or less (not including their depreciation on their cars).

At least with this bill, it will make it easier for part-time people to do it and theoretically, Uber/lyft should cut out some of the bad drivers.
Rusty GCS
AG
Every time I request a car that seats 5+ I get a damn Kia pull up that barely seats 4.

They need to fix that glitch.
ClickClack
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's a cycle. They've lowered compensation to the drivers (while effectively raising their own) to the point that turnover is high. The first group of drivers that started in Houston have all pretty much quit. Once the new people realize how much of a scam it is that barely covers gas + maintenance + depreciation, they end up quitting too. And you get people with crap cars because they can't afford to buy new ones.

I used to drive but quit after I realized it was pretty ridiculous to be spending any time doing it, even for a little extra money. I drove when rates were initially higher, for about a year and a half.

Glad to see they'll be competing with Lyft again in Houston, who at least allows for in-app tipping. Uber is a sh*tty company. Great idea, horrible management.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Every time I request a car that seats 5+ I get a damn Kia pull up that barely seats 4.

They need to fix that glitch.
You have up to 5 minutes to cancel and re-request without penalty, cancel right away if the XL you requested isn't as big as you need. I agree that some of the XL cars are basically just a small SUV that happens to have a tiny extra row int he back that no one would ever want to get in.

Liquid Wrench
When I saw the new uber commercial enticing people to "get your side hustle on," I felt like it told me a lot about the quality of drivers one could expect these days.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Actually the opposite, you want drivers that are doing it for a side hustle.

You don't want the drivers that are living in their car 12-16 hours a day and willing to work for nothing.

This new bill should help with this.

Trust me...
bularry
ChiliBeans said:

When I saw the new uber commercial enticing people to "get your side hustle on," I felt like it told me a lot about the quality of drivers one could expect these days.
what do you think it told you, exactly?
aTm2004
AG
Ag_07 said:

I had my first bad experience with one of their drivers when my wife and I went out on our anniversary. We took an Uber out to a wine bar she liked, but the driver didn't have the AC on, had the windows down (it rained a few minutes prior, and had his music turned up to the point that my wife and I couldn't have a conversation. Pretty disappointing. Yeah, he got us where we were wanting to go pretty quick, but it would have been nice to not be sweating when we got there.

The one we had on the way back was much better and what I have been used to when using Uber.
BohunkAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

Ag_07 said:

I had my first bad experience with one of their drivers when my wife and I went out on our anniversary. We took an Uber out to a wine bar she liked, but the driver didn't have the AC on, had the windows down (it rained a few minutes prior, and had his music turned up to the point that my wife and I couldn't have a conversation. Pretty disappointing. Yeah, he got us where we were wanting to go pretty quick, but it would have been nice to not be sweating when we got there.

The one we had on the way back was much better and what I have been used to when using Uber.
You should've beat the sh-t out of the guy and left him for dead.
aTm2004
AG
I'm pretty sure he was packing something that a file had been used on.
Ag_07
AG
BohunkAg said:

aTm2004 said:

Ag_07 said:

You should've beat the sh-t out of the guy and left him for dead. taken Uber Black seeing it was your anniversary and all.

FIFY
BohunkAg
AG
Is that some ghetto Uber service?
Liquid Wrench
Sounds like he was gettin' his side hustle on.
Petrino1
Anyone know the changes for new drivers wanting to sign up? Do they still have to go through the finger print and drug screen part of the onboarding? I wanted to do it part time as a side job for extra money but heard the onboarding part can take all day or several days.
aTm2004
AG
You see, when you marry the right girl, she doesn't give a chit about which Uber you take as long as you get there. She also would have been happy with Outback over Pappa's Bros for dinner, but I have standards...
aTm2004
AG
Yep. I knew exactly what you were talking about in your earlier post. He was a side hustlin' one-stop-shop for anything and everything you'd need for a Friday night.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Dallas has had Uber and Lyft both this entire time and Lyft drivers seem to be consistently better with cleaner/nicer cars. I think the tipping makes a huge difference. Glad to see competition returning to other cities in Texas.
cheeky
AG
Uber has really fallen off in quality, and it's become considerably more expensive. Recent experiences in St. Louis and San Diego were very disappointing. I'm all for competition!
Fairview
AG
The quality has definitely gone down. My last two were terrible.

I had an uber xl which ended up being an old POS Kia minivan and the driver spoke zero English.

The other one was an Uber Black and the guy kept the ride open way after he dropped me off. I emailed Uber and they can see the map with the destination and how long he kept it open and to their credit gave me back the extra $10 the dude charged me by not closing out the ride.
lancevance
lol.. Uber becoming the very service it tried to replace.
drumboy
AG
Drivers drive for both and have two phones open lots of times. Doubling up on side hustle.

I've never had a problem with them knowing where to go but I enter the destination in the app when requesting and it maps it for then.

My brother uses Juno in NY and prefers it.
BMX Bandit
Is there a way to take uber without entering your destination?

Uber still 100x better than a cab.
TP Ag '87
AG
So, anyone tried Lyft?
Al Bula
AG
I have had some terribly stupid drivers lately. I hope something fixes the quality of Uber.
The Wonderer
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

So, anyone tried Lyft?
I tried to use it, but it wouldn't let me schedule a ride to my house in 008. Very small ops area it appears.
Bondag
AG
I have used Uber for Astros games a few times. They past two times my driver has been someone that went to the game and was just looking for a little extra money to cover parking. No problems at all.

If you are using in downtown, Midtown, Washington I don't think there are any issues, but if you want an Uber to take you from Katy to Kingwood at 9AM you will have some ****ty drivers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.