Houston
Sponsored by

Rottweiler attacks my dog results in $2k.

10,456 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a 60lbs Australian Sheppard who did not have time to react. My son was actually with my dog and came to his aid by punching it in the face and prying it mouth open.

Of course it happens Saturday late so the dog has to an after hours Vet and ends up needing surgery. All together it was a $2k bill. The owner at first apologized and said he would pay for vet bills. I frankly think he thought my son was going to him. Now he saying he will pay only $1k. Neither dogs were on a leash.

I am thinking we will end up in small claims courts. We paid the bill and have time and patience to go through small claims court. Any of you gone through this? There are witnesses that will say it was totally unprovoked.
The Wonderer
AG
Report the dog attack to your county. Have fun in JP.
NoahAg
Quote:

Neither dogs were on a leash.
I'm no attorney, but is there a leash law where the attach occurred?
98Ag99Grad
AG
get his insurance info? Can always file a claim against it. my wife is an adjuster and has several of these a year. good luck and hope your pooch is ok.
Al Bula
AG
Where did this happen?
Ag_07
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

I would think whether there is a leash law or not it's going to be hard to win anything if his dog wasn't leashed.
gigemJTH12
AG
FCBlitz said:

I have a 60lbs Australian Sheppard who did not have time to react. My son was actually with my dog and came to his aid by punching it in the face and prying it mouth open.

The Wonderer
AG
Ag_07 said:

NoahAg said:

Quote:

I would think whether there is a leash law or not it's going to be hard to win anything if his dog wasn't leashed.
Comparative negligence issue. Award would be reduced about the percentage of which he was found to be proportionately responsible in leaving his dog off leash. Texas follows the 51% Bar Rule of Modified Comparative Fault meaning that if he was 51% or more at fault, he recovers nothing.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
"Where" is the big question. County? City? Your yard/his yard/neither.
Texaggie7nine
I've heard that sticking your finger in the dog's butt will stop it.
7nine
94chem
Take the $1000. All part of pet ownership - chewed up possessions, vet bills, stinking house, poop all over yard, carpets soaked in pee. You knew what you were getting into. Sorry about your dog.
testosterbone
AG
Take the $1000.
Liquid Wrench
Offering to pay half of a 2k vet bill sounds fairly generous to me. Especially since neither dog was leashed.
CDUB98
AG
I agree, take the $1000.

If your dog had been on a leash, then court would be a good option, but as-is, take it and leave.
Chewy
AG
Location seems like a key ingredient considering neither was on a leash. Unless it was on your property I agree with the others you're not getting the full vet bill.
RK
AG
take the 1,000. then do 2,000 worth of damage to his dog and offer to pay 1,000. that way, y'all will be even.

or, just tell him to keep the 1,000 and shoot his dog.
FCBlitz
Here is the context of the attack. Happened in Stafford. Ft Bend County.

My son and his GF took both of my dogs to a Birthday Party for an other dog. I can't believe someone would have a party for pets. Unfortunately I have been out of country for 2 months and probably would have not let them take the dogs.

At this party there were dogs that were allowed to stay inside. Both of my dogs (Penny and Dexter) were inside 99% of the time. So as my son, GF and 2 dogs were making the move to leave. But before they my son takes Dexter in the backyard and walks with him to pee along the fence. There were other dogs inside the backyard besides the attacking dog. While walking back my son on the look out dog poo to avoid step in it. This is where the separation occurred. My son was still a few steps behind. So he was close but for a brief instance the son and Dexter had separated just by a couple of feet. Dexter is about 15ft from the back door and was headed inside with my son a fee paces behind. There were many other people in the backyard as well so there a shield between the dog owners and their dogs. My son saw the attacking dog but froze for just a second because our dogs have never been in a dog fight. So in one motion, bites Dexter and pins him to the ground. My son then straddle the big dog and grabs thr dog using his left hand and starts pounding it with his right hand. Then with both hands pried the mouth open and separated the two dogs. The damage had been done.
Ghost91
Dog birthday party....

Now this thread will finally start to get good.
Wodanaz
AG
Your son sounds like a badass!

Take the $1k
Ghost91
Also, even after doing 2 edits, your post has a crapload of typos, misspellings, and generally hard-to-follow writing.
The Wonderer
AG
Take the $1k and walk away. You'll have to show a duty owed and breach of said duty and that's gonna be hard in a fenced yard that wasn't yours for a dog party.
Texaggie7nine
Yeah if it wasn't for the phone icon I would have cautioned the guy to always let someone else write out depositions for him.
7nine
94chem
I guess you could depose everybody from a dog birthday party, or at least the ones you never want to speak to you again.
FCBlitz
It is 3am in Vietnam and I am packing to come home after being here two long months sweating my arse off. While writing the initial text I was falling asleep. But before I leave I wanted to get it out there to see others folks may have been challenged with their dogs being attacked and ended up with vet bill.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
is this serious or trolling? Who the **** goes to a dog birthday party?
Take the grand and don't be an idiot next time.
Chewy
AG
That Rottie didn't attack anybody else's dog but yours and only in that brief period it was outside?

Man, that Rottie sure got triggered over something. Sorry it happened but that's one bizarre ass story. Like a scene from Old School almost.
Ghost91
FCBlitz said:

It is 3am in Vietnam and I am packing to come home after being here two long months sweating my arse off. While writing the initial text I was falling asleep. But before I leave I wanted to get it out there to see others folks may have been challenged with their dogs being attacked and ended up with vet bill.

Getting better. Left out a comma and the word "if" in one spot.
jja79
AG
The heck with the dog injury, let's hear about this party. You know people who throw dog parties?
Texaggie7nine
Do the dogs all wear party hats?
7nine
Ag_07
AG
So what you're saying is there were wild bltches raging at this party?
Panama Red
AG
Did Penny and Dexter each bring a gift?

Or just one, but a little more expensive, gift?
The Wonderer
AG
Panama Red said:

Did Penny and Dexter each bring a gift?

Or just one, bit a little more expensive, gift?
Ghost91
Did all the humans sing 'Happy Birthday' to the Birthday Dog? And if so, did all the other dogs sorta watch and even join in with howls during the chorus?
The Wonderer
AG
Ghost91 said:

Did all the humans sing 'Happy Birthday' to the Birthday Dog? And if so, did all the other dogs sorta watch and even join in with howls during the chorus?
Man, that would be ruff to watch.
RoseRichAg01
And I just thought yall ate dogs in East Fort Bend County.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.