Houston
Sponsored by

HPD Set Ups Stings To Catch Drivers Who Endanger Cyclists

7,110 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiedent
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

If you lane split and force me to pass you twice, you get the finger and a friendly **** you.
A very loud horn works better. Unless they have ear plugs, it's pretty loud. Sit on that sucker for a while.
drumboy
AG
You want a bike to pay for motor vehicle registration? How about roller blades and long boarders?

Will I need to pay registration on my kids' bikes or is this a family package?

As conservative as this board is sometimes I'm shocked by folks wanting more government and regulations.
schmellba99
AG
drumboy said:

You want a bike to pay for motor vehicle registration? How about roller blades and long boarders?

Will I need to pay registration on my kids' bikes or is this a family package?

As conservative as this board is sometimes I'm shocked by folks wanting more government and regulations.
Pretty sure those two are actually illegal to "operate" on public road ways as it is, no?
Your Friend
Everyone in this God forsaken city drives with a "F you, me first" attitude, so why should cyclists be any different...
BigPuma
AG
Your Friend said:

Everyone in this God forsaken city drives with a "F you, me first" attitude, so why should cyclists be any different...
F you too
IDAGG
AG
LRHF said:

Now- I have plenty of tales of motorists throwing beers, slurpees, grape fruit and one even tried to clip my front wheel on purpose! (Was riding a road in NM and was easily 3' to the right of the white line).
That is just good 'ole dipsheet behavior that is not exclusively shown to bicycle riders. It is shown to anyone not in a car. I used to run in Texas decades ago. I always faced traffic, on the shoulder, on sparsely traveled roads. I had A) Empty beer bottles thrown at me, B) Full beer cans thrown at me. C) Empty beer cans thrown at me D) A lit string of firecrackers thrown at me, E) An apple thrown at me, F) Curse words yelled at me multiple times....always from people driving up from behind me that should have been in the other lane well away from me. Most of them came over the center line to get a better shot at me. The full beer can missed my head by less than a foot as the truck that it came from whizzed by doing about 60 mph. Based on my experience I have little sympathy for those poor car divers that are whining about bicyclists.

I am not a psychologist, but there is some sort issue with some people that causes them to act out on people that are not in cars. I moved out of Texas decades ago and never experienced it in the three states I have lived in since. I can't explain it. The only common thread was that every single vehicle whose occupants threw something at me was a pickup.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Not everyone, but certainly a decent percentage of the folks out there. Of course, the biggest difference between bikes and cars, is that the driver of a car is far more likely to do harm to other folks by driving recklessly. The idiot biker is most likely only going to kill himself.

I've been on both sides of the coin. I nearly ran into a guy on a bike who ran a stop sign in my subdivision. Instead of being contrite, he basically got very attitudinal with me. That's how bikers get bad reps. I understand that.

On the other hand, I have a story from a biking perspective. I was riding my bike in the subdivision one weekend for exercise. I was on a 4 lane road ( 2 each side of an esplanade) that loops around the subdivision. I use this road to get to some trails. I was in the right lane, about 2 car lengths behind the car in front of me, starting to slow down for a stop sign. A small Nissan suddenly cuts in front of me and jams on her brakes. I had no way of stopping in time so I veered right into the curb and tumbled just to the right of her car. I was banging on her window in a millisecond. Refused to look at me. Seriously. As if my well being was of no concern to her.

Both cases were a "I'm doing what I want to do and screw you if it's a problem for you." Welcome to the morals and ethics of 2017.
drumboy
AG

This reminded me of a time when me and a buddy rode big ugly 650 dirtbike looking things through Mexico. We were coming down out of the Sierra Madre mountains going towards Mazatlan and 2 kids on a 125 passed him and he couldn't get around them in the twisties. Those kids were like nicky hayden in the curves and had just enough speed so he couldn't pass them in the short straights.

Some of you guys would have rather kicked those kids off of the mountain.
zap
AG
Tom Hagen said:

FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

Good luck copper chasing me down in my SUV with your mountain bike.
You do realize that they work in teams, right?
Teams of mountain bikes?
They just radio a cruiser

MAS444
AG
Those of you who've figured out that motor vehicles are faster than bicycles have really cracked the code on this HPD effort. I'm sure they never considered this nuance.
94chem
Quote:

However, no I think that if you want to ride your bike with cars, motorcycles, and trucks you should pay the same fee as any other vehicle on the he road, motorized or not.
$560/yr so my family can ride to the neighborhood pool a couple of times? That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Can't believe you got multiple "likes" for that idiotic post. How about you just not blow through your subdivision at 40 mph?
chico
AG
where's your license & registration?
94chem
Bare feet, no helmet, riding the wrong way on the sidewalk. That girl better get a second job to pay all those citations.
Liquid Wrench
chico said:

where's your license & registration?

Hope he's checking her citizenship. That one looks a little suspicious to me.
AgCPA95
AG
Regardless of who is right or wrong in this bike versus car argument, I think you would have to be absolutely nuts to ride a bike on a street with the number of accidents and deaths that occur.
drumboy
AG
94chem said:

Bare feet, no helmet, riding the wrong way on the sidewalk. That girl better get a second job to pay all those citations.
How about another ticket for even riding on the sidewalk? She should be on the street where she's not endangering the active wear-laden mom's with their strollers and yorkies.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Regardless of who is right or wrong in this bike versus car argument, I think you would have to be absolutely nuts to ride a bike on a street with the number of accidents and deaths that occur.

Why do people ride motorcycles? Why do people skydive? The National Safety Council estimates 40,000 Americans died in automobiles in 2016. You must be nuts to get in a car when it is clearly so dangerous. See how this works?
Ag_07
AG
It just doesn't make sense to me to setup a sting using high tech instruments to catch people harassing cyclists.

There have to be better ways to use those resources.

I'm not saying I condone hitting bikers with my truck but it seems a bit overkill.
AgCPA95
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Why do people ride motorcycles? Why do people skydive? The National Safety Council estimates 40,000 Americans died in automobiles in 2016. You must be nuts to get in a car when it is clearly so dangerous. See how this works?
I don't have the numbers but what you are trying to say is the number of miles ridden by cyclists on roadways is comparable to the number of miles driven in cars? OK...gotcha!
chico
AG
Ag_07 said:

It just doesn't make sense to me to setup a sting using high tech instruments to catch people harassing cyclists.

There have to be better ways to use those resources.

I'm not saying I condone hitting bikers with my truck but it seems a bit overkill.

Bike community held a fund drive to pay for that equipment. There have been bike cops for years. This is just putting "free" equipment on existing bike patrols
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

I don't have the numbers but what you are trying to say is the number of miles ridden by cyclists on roadways is comparable to the number of miles driven in cars? OK...gotcha!

No, you missed my point. I'm saying we all choose to do things that we enjoy that have relative amounts of risk. That's it.

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle on a Houston street, but I don't think someone is nuts if they want to.
Same for a bicycle.
Same for a lot of things in life.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.