Houston
Sponsored by

HPD Set Ups Stings To Catch Drivers Who Endanger Cyclists

7,119 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiedent
zap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HPD Sting

Quote:

Six bike riders have been killed in the Houston area so far this year, according to advocacy group BikeHouston, but the Houston Police Department is now setting up regular stings for drivers who endanger cyclists.

In March, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo announced he'd start going after drivers who pass bikes without the minimum three feet of space, using plainclothes bike cops equipped with a high-tech "C3FT" device. It's part of a push by a number of local politicians, including Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, to make Houston safer for cyclists.

Although Houston's "safe-passing" ordinance has been in effect since 2013, Houston police never had a good way to measure the space between a passing car and bicycle. With these new gadgets, groups like BikeHouston hope that will change.

tandy miller
AG
Cyclists
Flashdiaz
AG
will they ticket cyclist that run stop signs and red lights?
swimmerbabe11
This is awesome!
chico
AG
Flashdiaz said:

yes. I know people who have been ticketed for running red lights on bikes. I know people who have been ticketed for riding at night without a light. The police can and will ticket people on bikes.
chico
AG
and let's give Houston's finest a thumbs-up for the good work catching a hit-and-run suspect following the death of a man riding a bike. Just announced today!
nice job!
drumboy
AG
Flashdiaz said:

They'll crack down on them once cyclists are killing folks with their disregard for the law.
Post removed:
by user
Ciboag96
Flashdiaz said:

Motorcycle cop pulled over a cyclist on Houston Ave for blowing through a red light earlier this week.

I should have taken a photo. Rarer than Sheila Jackson Lee speaking in first person.
coolerguy12
AG
How about they set up a sting to arrest all the jackasses that take part in critical mass. To me that event does more damage to the perception of the biking community than anything else.
aggie7911
Careful I have seen bans for that gif
Ag_07
AG
When CDub gets done squeezin into his spandex he'll be here to praise HPD and tell us all we're the A-holes and cyclists are always right.
Liquid Wrench
I have no comment. Certainly none that would warrant a four day ban.
LRHF
AG
Great work HPD! I ride in Houston frequently picking my routes carefully. Riding in the heights, downtown and around the trail system is fantastic fun. 99% of the drivers are accommodating but I do worry about the 1% POS people that consider it a game to nearly hit or run over cyclists then drive off. Education is key for drivers and cyclists.... heck just have a decent respect for life and we can all get along.

We do stop for red lights but will roll through when nobody is coming and there is a line of cars to go straight when the light turns green. This is safer for the cyclist and driver, let's us clear the intersection and get settled on our piece of real estate so the driver can safely pass when the light goes green. Now, blowing through red lights when traffic is coming is a while new league of stupid, saw a guy do this last week and have no doubt somebody will accidentally end his life soon. Respect is needed from both sides.

Stay safe...

OnlyForNow
AG
Horse *****

Premium
AG
Nothing to add other than I think you've got to be an idiot to ride a bike on a road without a full size shoulder.
Tom Hagen
AG
Quote:

using plainclothes bike cops equipped with a high-tech "C3FT" device.

Good luck copper chasing me down in my SUV with your mountain bike.
Jock 07
AG
And yet they won't do a damn thing about critical mass pieces of ****
Post removed:
by user
aggiebq03+
LRHF said:

but will roll through when nobody is coming and there is a line of cars to go straight when the light turns green. This is safer for the cyclist and driver, let's us clear the intersection and get settled on our piece of real estate so the driver can safely pass when the light goes green.

What is safest if you don't have a dedicated bike lane is to stay in the lane and not lane split to pass cars stopped at a red light who already patiently waited to pass you once.

When they have to wait to pass you the 2nd or 3rd time is when they start deciding not to give you the 3ft clearance. Obviously you don't care about the law at that point if you are just "rolling through a red cause nobody is coming", so you don't really have a reasonable expectation for them to follow the law either.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I ****ing hate cyclists
Ol_Ag_02
AG
LRHF said:

Great work HPD! I ride in Houston frequently picking my routes carefully. Riding in the heights, downtown and around the trail system is fantastic fun. 99% of the drivers are accommodating but I do worry about the 1% POS people that consider it a game to nearly hit or run over cyclists then drive off. Education is key for drivers and cyclists.... heck just have a decent respect for life and we can all get along.

We do stop for red lights but will roll through when nobody is coming and there is a line of cars to go straight when the light turns green. This is safer for the cyclist and driver, let's us clear the intersection and get settled on our piece of real estate so the driver can safely pass when the light goes green. Now, blowing through red lights when traffic is coming is a while new league of stupid, saw a guy do this last week and have no doubt somebody will accidentally end his life soon. Respect is needed from both sides.

Stay safe...

So now that you're lane splitting everyone who already passed your slow as **** self, now has to do it again after the light. Making everyone hate you people even more.

If you lane split and force me to pass you twice, you get the finger and a friendly **** you.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Bike riders are only one step ahead of the dumbasses that shutdown traffic for a protest to me. Your bike doesn't grant you the right to control the flow of traffic!
LRHF
AG
I pray to god you we don't occupy the same space in Houston. Ignorant morons like yourself and attitudes like yours are what contributes to fatalities. I hope HPD catches up with you soon!
aggiebq03+
LRHF said:

I pray to god you we don't occupy the same space in Houston. Ignorant morons like yourself and attitudes like yours are what contributes to fatalities. I hope HPD catches up with you soon!

I could say the EXACT same thing to you.
Jock 07
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

LRHF said:

I could say the EXACT same thing to you.
Bicycle riders feel that the roads are built and maintained exclusively for their enjoyment and that motorists should feel privileged that we're allowed on their streets.
OnlyForNow
AG
Let us know when you pay a registration fee to ride your bike on public roads.
LRHF
AG
Lots of passion on this topic and certainly built from each persons experience. I don't feel that all roads were built for me over cars and bet most real cyclists would agree. I'll give you an example- frequently drive down Studewood and occasionally there will be a moron riding a bike down this road during the morning commute. Definitely candidates for a Darwin Award! They are legally entitled to a 3' allowance but it is not a practical or safe. Typically you see hear riders pick a better routes after they complete such a ride. The City has designated many roads as bicycle friendly and these typically are wider and have lower densities of vehicles. Out past mayor (via your tax dollars, thx) put in a great trail system for walkers and riders.

Now- I have plenty of tales of motorists throwing beers, slurpees, grape fruit and one even tried to clip my front wheel on purpose! (Was riding a road in NM and was easily 3' to the right of the white line). I now frequently utilize my 2nd amendment rights when riding in out beloved city (cruise Eado and two and four legged predators can be an issue from time to time). I hope the hate floating around here doesn't force you guys to start throwing stuff at me when I ride the city streets/ trails! Any of your motorists had cyclists throw stuff at you?

Perhaps a Texags bicycle happy hour needs to occur. I'd be happy to lead a ride to explore parts of our city off the main roads. We can talk guns, hunting, fishing, bad cyclists/ motorists, gas prices... all the normal stuff. I think a few of you could benefit from a different perspective, get some exercise and let traffic die off before your final commute home.

Fun discussion but time to go fishing, have a new section of the Gunpowder river to explore this morning.
LRHF
AG
You realize most of us have cars and also pay!? I choose to live ITL and feel like I pay plenty in property taxes in addition to vehicle registration fees. The city of houston has a pet tax but I've successfully skipped that one.

This may blow your mind but I am in the energy industry and like seeing lots of people driving and burning fuel! I also have a big truck like many of you (diesel F-250) but typically drive a smaller car in town.
aggiebq03+
That's a lot of words.

Please just start following traffic laws when you ride on public roads.

Thanks.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

You do realize that they work in teams, right?
OnlyForNow
AG
Look, I've never thrown anything at anyone riding a bike and don't have patience for people that do.

However, no I think that if you want to ride your bike with cars, motorcycles, and trucks you should pay the same fee as any other vehicle on the he road, motorized or not. At this point in time it's not about the wear and tear you put on the road it's a use fee.

Further you're advocating that "just because I'm on a bike I can break traffic laws, cause 'it's easier for me and everyone else'."

Well in that vein, me running these POSes that drive 50/60 in the far left lane off the road should be totally legal. Cause it makes everyone else on the road safer.

You don't get to pick and choose which laws apply to you, and if you're in front of people at a light and you know your gonna hold them up, let them pass you.
Tom Hagen
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

You do realize that they work in teams, right?
Teams of mountain bikes?
drumboy
AG
Rode my bike to downtown for some boozing last week and had to run a couple stop signs when folks with no stop sign waved me through when I was on the bike trail. I felt horrible.
Texan1976
I own multiple vehicles and have to pay registration fees for each one that uses a public road. I don't get to say, "welp, I don't need to pay taxes on my truck because I also have a car I pay on."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.