Houston
Sponsored by

Moving to Houston - Sugar Land/Katy Area Suggestions

7,334 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philo B 93
TripleTAggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My family will be moving to Houston soon and we are trying to decide which area of town (Suburb) to live in. We have narrowed it down to Katy/Cinco Ranch area and Sugar Land. Does anyone have any insight into the areas or suggestions? Some of the houses we are looking at in Sugar Land are in the Greatwood neighborhood. We will most likely be renting at first since we don't know the area very well and don't want to buy into a neighborhood we don't really like. My job will be in the memorial city area, so commutes seem fairly comparable. Appreciate any advice!
agnerd
AG
1. har.com
2. click "drive time search"
3. Enter work address, arrival time, and tolerable drive time length
4. Enter your budget, bedrooms, baths, and any other requirements.
5. pick out the houses you like best, post links here
6. Ask for advice on whether you will get shot in those neighborhoods and if your kids will learn good in those schools.

Edit to add: scroll down the listing, click on the schools, and make sure they're less than half minority. Beyond that, you'll have to decide how many minorities you and your wallet can tolerate. (Even I won't live near too many of my own people)
Farmer1906
AG
SugarLand is more diverse and has more stuff. It'd be my choice.
jjdavis85
AG
I'm a Realtor in Katy and would be happy to answer any questions for you about Cinco Ranch and the other master planned neighborhoods in Katy.

Feel free to email me at my TexAgs handle @gmail.com
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Your commute from Cinco Ranch would likely be a little bit longer than the Sugar Land commute during rush hour. Both communities are fairly similar - very good schools, faux-downtown entertainment centers, similar architecture, etc. Sugar Land is more diverse.

It might be worth checking out the Sugarwood area in Sugar Land as well - a small neighborhood with almost immediate access to 59, lower taxes than Greatwood, less cookie cutter (but older) houses.
E
AG
Are you Venezuelan by any chance? If so, Katyzuela is the right spot for you?
tandy miller
AG
If you're indian (dot not feather) you will feel right at home in sugarland
SJEAg
AG
Quote:

If you're indian (dot not feather) you will feel right at home in sugarland

Mostly true, but Greatwood is actually pretty white. Definitely doesn't have the strong Indian demographic of New Territory or Telfair. I'd guess Sugar Creek also trends white (and older). First Colony probably feels the most mixed..and more Asians (East/SE) in comparison.

montanagriz
S
Mccrary meadows mostly a white neighborhood
If indian lots of choices in sugar land

You can check schools etc in area that might help narrow your choice down.
JSKolache
AG
There's not much daylight between those two options (schools, home values, extracurricular activities, etc), so default to shorter commute (Cinco would be slightly shorter than Greatwood.)
Ag_07
AG
Just past Katy is a nice place called El Paso. It's got plenty of room.
Seamaster
AG
We moved to Cinco Ranch 2.5 years ago and love it. Commute will depend greatly on: 1) Where in Cinco you end up and 2) Your hours.

We live closer to 99 (not too far west in other words) and I commute both was about 40-45 minutes into Galleria.
brotheraggie
Sugarland is nice!!
NoahAg
Quote:

Your commute from Cinco Ranch would likely be a little bit longer than the Sugar Land commute during rush hour.
Really? I would assume Memorial City would be a little closer to Cinco (at least Cinco east of Grand Pkwy).

I personally wouldn't commute from west of the Grand Pkwy, but know plenty of people who do. I prefer the more established parts of Cinco; like North Lake and South Lake Village.

Not in Cinco, but Kelliwood, Green Trails, and Nottingham are nice too, and even closer to Memorial.
Sazerac
AG
Sugar land can't be in the running for a memorial city commute. 59 is complete standstill and bw8 is nearly as bad.

I'd stick to i10/West park access or 290 just outside bw8.
FtBendTxAg
AG
All sound like your typical 30 minute rush hour commute to me. So just flip a coin.
AgTech88
AG
Very important when calculating commute time that you take into account how long it will take you to get from your driveway to nearest freeway. We are in Katy older section just south of I-10 on Fry Rd. I can get onto I-10 in 10 minutes on worst/day/time. With lots of Cinco and further south/west just getting to the freeway can be tough.

Since the I-10 expansion was completed I think it is better than most other commute routes. And be careful thinking that the Westpark toll way and Grand Parkway (from I-10 South past Westpark) will be easy. From what I hear both already backup real bad and they are still building like mad further west. My impression is that if you have a choice pick I-10 over Westpark (during rush hour).

I also think a good argument can be made for the older neighborhoods vs the recent master planned communities. The amenities of the new neighborhoods are appealing but everyone I know that moved there never use them and would rather have lower MUD fees/taxes. 10 years ago you could get a true custom home (although older) for the same money as a high volume tract house - not sure how they compare now.....

Just my 2 cents.
RoseRichAg01
Shia or Sunni?
PeekingDuck
AG
Quote:

Kelliwood, Green Trails, and Nottingham

I'd look here first. If you can't find anything, then consider Cinco/Katy and/or Sugarland. Sugarland would be my last choice, for sure.
Your Friend
If you're working in Memorial City, why bother even looking at greatwood?. Find something in green trails and get to work in 15-20 minutes
mm98
AG
Regarding Katy...

I have a friend in Green Trails who works in City Centre. He takes a back-road via Kingsland and Baker Rd, that runs parallel to I-10 for a while.

As a comparison, I live right off Grand Parkway, a block north of Cinco Ranch Blvd. His trip to City Centre/Memorial City is probably 20-25 minutes faster than me.
Philo B 93
Cypress and northwest Houston are about to explode again when 290 is complete. Think Katy in 2007. I'm hoping 290 will take back some of the traffic currently using 99 and BW8 to hit I-10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.