Houston
Sponsored by

Considering a move to North Houston. Where to live?

19,109 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by XpressAg09
OldArmy07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering a job in Houston near Beltway 8 and Hardy toll road. I know virtually nothing about this area. I live in Prosper now, and I'd like something similar (good schools, newer houses with community pool, etc.). Where should I be looking?

Traffic from the woodlands looks like it would be hell, so something south of there would be better. Correct me if I'm wrong if anyone is making that commute.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Fall Creek
clintaggie04
AG
The Wonderer
AG
You're going to have traffic if you live north or west of that location.

What's you budget, family size, neighborhood desireables, etc.?

Lived up that way for a few years and worked not far from where you've stated. I moved inside the loop and drive contra to traffic and get to my office further north than you've stated in less than 25 minutes most mornings. Faster than when I lived in The Woodlands and was ~10 miles closer to the office. It's all about traffic flow...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Move to El Paso. This town is full.
230Ag
AG
beltway and hardy and beltway and 45N are both the hood. the drive from spring or woodlands would probably be worth it. unless you want to live south of 610 and drive up. anything between 610 and beltway 8 on 45 is sketch also.
ktownag08
AG
Go up Hardy to Grand Parkway and exit Riley Fuzzel.. There's Spring Trails, Harmony, Bender's Landing, Woodson's Creek, and Falls at Imperial Oaks all zoned to Conroe ISD. Easy to get to Woodlands when you want, but less daily traffic.

I live in that area and drive to JFK/Beltway (airport entrance) everyday for work. Takes me 25 minutes tops.

A lot of growth happening here now.
bigjag19
AG
Greenspoint is nice and up and coming.
Premium
AG
ktownag08 said:

Go up Hardy to Grand Parkway and exit Riley Fuzzel.. There's Spring Trails, Harmony, Bender's Landing, Woodson's Creek, and Falls at Imperial Oaks all zoned to Conroe ISD. Easy to get to Woodlands when you want, but less daily traffic.

I live in that area and drive to JFK/Beltway (airport entrance) everyday for work. Takes me 25 minutes tops.

I agree with this, but I live in Jacobs Reserve off 1488 & 45. I have the same commute and I'm 30 minutes most days - 40/45 if it's bad. But most days are good.

I prefer this area of town of being almost in The Woodlands with more trees, etc. But Riley Fuzzle is better on the commute.
E
AG
Budget, home/lot size requirements, style of home, etc...
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
bigjag19 said:

Greenspoint is nice and up and coming.
The Kraken
AG
There's nothing south of there for you until you get to the other side of Houston.

You said newer homes, but take a look at Kingwood even though the vast majority of the homes are older. I grew up there (when the houses were new) but haven't lived there in decades so I can't comment on the commute.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
****ing Kingwood and crossfit. Can't have anything to do with them without telling everyone about it.
94chem
$400K for this in Fall Creek?

What's going on in Fall Creek? Sure, that's a lot of house for the money, but that's a kind of scary low price.
schmendeler
AG
check out spring/klein
Al Bula
AG
94chem said:

but that's a kind of scary low price.
Owner obviously wanted to dump the house in order to avoid drop in Fall Creek prices once Sly Turner brings Landry's to sponsor the _______ Houston Open or moves it to Memorial Park altogether.
V8Aggie
AG
Do not move here. We're full!
JayAggie
AG
To the OP...south, unless your inside the loop in the heights and going against traffic you want to avoid.

I would say stay north of Cypresswood. That should be your southernmost option. I would avoid Spring ISD, so that means if you're looking off Cypresswood or 2920 you need to make sure it feeds into Klein ISD or Conroe ISD because there are some pockets that go to Spring ISD.

Lots of nice neighborhoods off 2920 ranging from starter homes to really nice. Depending on your budget, you can't go wrong with stuff off Riley Fuzzel or in The Woodlands, if you're looking for big difference. The Woodlands is getting pretty crowded though so fortunately for those in Spring like myself you are starting to see new areas of development that aren't apartments, gas stations, or strip centers....still a lot of those, but it does seem the area is in a transition.
H00kers_B00ze_Bl0w
Aldine, ese
88jrt06
AG
To remember:
Crosstimbers
Fulton.....
Family friendly, great Mexican food, light rail!

To forget:
Any "master planned" communities to the E/NE! Word is, folks die in line just trying to get out...and drive to work.
redag06
Demise of fall creek began about a year ago(we sold last April) a low income apt was announced at the front of the neighborhood, as well as just a general mass exodus.
kubiak03
AG
Agree with Ktown. SE Montgomery county
BMX Bandit
Benders Landing
OldArmy07
AG
Thanks for the tips. Checking them out slowly. This is helping us to see what's out there to see if it's worth pursuing further.

Budget is ideally less than 400k. Our ideal home at this point is a 1 story, 2500-2800 sq feet w/ a 3 car garage. No real preferences outside of that.
AgLA06
AG
230Ag said:

beltway and hardy and beltway and 45N are both the hood. the drive from spring or woodlands would probably be worth it. unless you want to live south of 610 and drive up. anything between 610 and beltway 8 on 45 is sketch also.

Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, and Shepherd Park Plaza call bull*****
Col. Steve Austin
AG
ktownag08 said:

This!

My youngest daughter and her family moved to Harmony Creek about this time last year so I am in that area fairly often. Lots of development happening along Grand Parkway.
Satellite of Love
HumbleAg said:

ktownag08 said:

This!

My youngest daughter and her family moved to Harmony Creek about this time last year so I am in that area fairly often. Lots of development happening along Grand Parkway.
Enjoy all the new flooding that will happen because of it!!!!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

****ing Kingwood and crossfit. Can't have anything to do with them without telling everyone about it.
I always laugh at the people who grew up in Kingwood like it was Mayberry or something yet won't live there now.
aTm2004
AG
OldArmy07 said:

Thanks for the tips. Checking them out slowly. This is helping us to see what's out there to see if it's worth pursuing further.

Budget is ideally less than 400k. Our ideal home at this point is a 1 story, 2500-2800 sq feet w/ a 3 car garage. No real preferences outside of that.
I'd look at Conroe or Kingwood. Getting a house that size with a 3 car garage with that budget in The Woodlands would be very hard. You can live on the south side of Conroe (Creighton Ridge area) and get an estate home with what you're looking for in the price range you want, and will be in between both The Woodlands and Conroe for going out to dinner, shopping, etc. You'll also be in Montgomery county, which would bode better for taxes and insurance.

I currently live in Kingwood, and it's a great neighborhood as well if you have (or will have) kids. There is a lot of new retail and entertainment going up in and around the area, which has been needed for some time. Getting to Hardy and 8 from there should be relatively easy with some knowledge of back ways when (Greens Rd or Aldine Bender) when 8 has an accident. I worked at Beltway 8 and JFK for years and only had a 10 minute commute once I got on 59. Depending on where in Kingwood you're at, getting to 59 could be anywhere from 5-15 minutes.
aTm2004
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I always laugh at the people who grew up in Kingwood like it was Mayberry or something yet won't live there now.
My wife grew up in Kingwood (well, from middle school on) and it seems her friends from HS that didn't come back after college are all Hipsters or lesbians who can't stand how red the area is. Most live in Austin and a couple in the Montrose area. A couple of our friends, who are a lesbian couple, recently moved to the area but refused to move into Kingwood proper because of how much the bathroom bill was slaughtered (I believe Porker's bathroom bill was voted against in the high-80's within 77345 and 77339). They settled on Porter, which is even more laughable...move to an even redder area with a worse school district. BRILLIANT!!
FlyFish95
aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

My wife grew up in Kingwood (well, from middle school on) and it seems her friends from HS that didn't come back after college are all Hipsters or lesbians who can't stand how red the area is. Most live in Austin and a couple in the Montrose area. A couple of our friends, who are a lesbian couple, recently moved to the area but refused to move into Kingwood proper because of how much the bathroom bill was slaughtered (I believe Porker's bathroom bill was voted against in the high-80's within 77345 and 77339). They settled on Porter, which is even more laughable...move to an even redder area with a worse school district. BRILLIANT!!
Why would lesbians care about the school district, are they softball coaches?
aTm2004
AG
DryFly said:

aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Why would lesbians care about the school district, are they softball coaches?
They have kids. Not softball coaches.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

There are are a few hens in Eagle Springs who act like it's some sort of suburban utopia and always fawn for all the things that Kingwood has and Atascocita doesn't. They don't realize that Atascocita is solidly working and middle class and the average income and education levels will never be what Kingwood has yet they wonder why there's no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
Al Bula
AG
This! I don't get all the jacking off people do about the new developments like Bender's Landing, Harmony, Birnham Woods, etc. Rayford road around the GP is about to undergo 2 years worth of construction.

The homes in Benders along Rayford are way close to the road. Those people who spent lots of money to build in what used to be the middle of nowhere will regret how close to the road they are once new lanes are eventually built.

And all that new construction will only compound the flooding.

Ask yourself why that area in southeastern Montgomery County near the San Jacinto River hasn't been built out yet.
Bassmaster
AG
So the 15 houses along Rayford in Benders are too close to the road? That's a clear indicator that the hundreds (or thousands) of other properties in the neighborhood must suck.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.