Houston
Sponsored by

Need recommendation...Bathroom contractor in Spring

908 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MattAg98
MattAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have squishy tiles with water coming up through the grout around the toilet. I think the seal at the bottom of the toilet has been leaking. It looks like the water has seeped under the tiles for several feet around the toilet.
shihitemuslim
AG
I would call Mark Nieman. He remodels a lot of houses 832-217-0732.
Waltonloads08
AG
You may just need a plumber to pull the toilet and check the wax ring...I'd do that before calling a remodeler.
notheranymore
Maybe need a new flange. I agree, start with a plumber.
MattAg98
AG
Thanks guys. Im sure a new wax ring will fix the leak. My concern is the water that is already leaked under the tiles. I have about 8 tiles surrounding the toilet that have water seeping up through the grout when i step on them.
Waltonloads08
AG
Can you put a heater on it to dry it out? Not sure you need a remodeler unless the tiles are damaged.
MattAg98
AG
Sounds like a plan. I will call the plummer and then see if i can dry out the tiles.
YellAg2004
AG
Is this on the first floor with a concrete slab underneath or the 2nd floor with OSB subfloor (or pier & beam)? Are the tiles truly squishy as you described where the grout is cracked and the tiles actually move when you step on them?
MattAg98
AG
First floor on concrete slab. The tiles around the toilet have discolored grout that is wet. Some of the tiles have small cracks in the grout, its hard to feel any movement in those tiles, but when i step on them water and air bubbles squirt up through the crack. If i step really hard on the tiles, i can hear a squish sound like water moving around under the tile.
sts7049
AG
if it were me i would probably just pull the toilet up and look at the ring. it's easy enough to do yourself and replace.

i would probably pull the tile up if water is that much under it. that's easy enough to do yourself. if it looks like that the problem is worse then maybe call in reinforcements. otherwise maybe you can get away with just replacing the flooring.
Vgrainger
AG
My company, Envision Renovations, specializes in bathroom remodels and we do a lot of work for TexAgs users. Feel free to check us out on FB or EnvisionYourHome.com. Give me a call at 8325282873. Vince Grainger, Class of 08.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
But is it a trans-friendly bathroom?
RM1993
AG
A simple flush, even with a bad wax ring, won't spill that much water. More likely your tank internal components have worn out and you have a small continuous run/trickle of water. Combine that with a wax ring that has seen better days and you get a trickle of water outside the line opening that will quickly spread under your tile.

Step 1: Pull toilet and replace wax ring
Step 2: Re-install toilet
Step 3: replace all rubber components inside the tank
MattAg98
AG
I had the wax seal replaced. It was leaking. Used shop vac to suck some moisture from the grout. Put a couple of damp rid canisters on the floor next to the toilet and a fan. Looks like its going to dry out in a few days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.