Houston
Sponsored by

Cop watching for speeders at 59/610

4,093 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watch out for the traffic revenue enforcement cop on 59 at about where the 610 W exit is. He got someone shortly after I passed by.

Is it just me, or are the police especially out in force lately? Why does it seem like they're harassing everyone about speed lately? Nobody wants to go the pathetically slow speed limits throughout most of the city, especially on the highways. Is this part of Mayor Turner trying to grab money with the city broke? Acevido?
AgMarauder04
AG
So, how fast were you going when you got popped?
Waffledynamics
AG
Didn't get popped this time. I already got my ticket, which was totally not part of a quota at all.

Just warning people.
zooguy96
Don't speed?
wessimo
AG
Waze
The Wonderer
AG
Radar detector.
Aggiemike96
AG
45 north was like the Autobahn today.
The Wonderer
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

It's like that every day.

I had to move out of the left lane doing 80 last Thursday afternoon because there was a cop behind me. He passed me doing about 90 with the lights off. Just looked over and gave a thumbs up as he passed.
LeftyAg89
AG
On the 610 south loop -- between Post Oak and Fannin.. it's like that EVERY freakin weekday... at least during lunch hour. For the past 2 years I have jumped on 610 during lunch maybe 2-3 times a week and I see someone pulled over EVERY single time, and many times I see it both way (going to lunch and coming back from lunch). It's ridiculous. about 1 year ago I was a victim and got pulled over near Stella Link for going 72 in a 60. ugh! Ever since then I go max 65 and shake my head when people go flying by me.
94chem
Meanwhile, I got one last fall for allegedly not using a turn signal while changing lanes from a dead stop into a turn lane on Washington.

We have one in Kingwood who's made millions for the city on the school zones. They don't even flash at the right times, but he knows nobody will contest him. Pretty sorry excuse for a career.
The Wonderer
AG
94chem said:

Meanwhile, I got one last fall for allegedly not using a turn signal while changing lanes from a dead stop into a turn lane on Washington.

We have one in Kingwood who's made millions for the city on the school zones. They don't even flash at the right times, but he knows nobody will contest him. Pretty sorry excuse for a career.
If this is true, you deserved it. That's what signals are for and they should be ticketed more than they are.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Watch out for the traffic revenue enforcement cop on 59 at about where the 610 W exit is. He got someone shortly after I passed by.

Is it just me, or are the police especially out in force lately? Why does it seem like they're harassing everyone about speed lately? Nobody wants to go the pathetically slow speed limits throughout most of the city, especially on the highways. Is this part of Mayor Turner trying to grab money with the city broke? Acevido?

I have no beef with cops looking for speeders on the freeway. They are actually doing something that might help keep the public safe by spotting drunks and crazy driving folks. The money grabs that piss me off are the seat belt and sticker cops in poorly placed locations. Plenty about local police to ***** about, but I don't think this is one.
The Wonderer
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Waffledynamics said:

I have no beef with cops looking for speeders on the freeway. They are actually doing something that might help keep the public safe by spotting drunks and crazy driving folks. The money grabs that piss me off are the seat belt and sticker cops in poorly placed locations. Plenty about local police to ***** about, but I don't think this is one.
Agreed. Rolling on the freeways is legit, although I don't think they should be doing so in the left lane if they are slowing traffic down.
Waffledynamics
AG
They definitely need to get out of the EZ tag lanes with that crap. You're in the far left lane when you're in an EZ tag lane. You still have the highway to the right of you. Psychologically, you're going to want to go faster than 60 MPH, and they know it.

Let people go faster if that's the only thing they're doing. Faster doesn't always mean less safe. Just my opinion.
aggiebq03+
The Wonderer said:

Aggiemike96 said:

I had to move out of the left lane doing 80 last Thursday afternoon because there was a cop behind me. He passed me doing about 90 with the lights off. Just looked over and gave a thumbs up as he passed.

The left lane is not the fast lane, it is the passing lane. Get over if you aren't passing someone.
The Wonderer
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

The Wonderer said:

Aggiemike96 said:

The left lane is not the fast lane, it is the passing lane. Get over if you aren't passing someone.
I was passing people. Just not as fast as him, so I moved over, let him by, then got back behind him.
sts7049
AG
next time don't be in a hurry to throw the frisbee with your buddies
aggiebq03+
I'm sure you don't cruise in the left lane.

Just like you always use your blinkers.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
In the Eastbound lanes of BW 8 North between the toll plaza and 45 it is pretty common to see 5-6 LEO's running radar during the afternoon drive. I bet they catch a lot of folks that go past the 1st or 2nd car thinking they're good and speed up only to get ticketed by the next officer.
94chem
The wonderer, try this at home. Put on your left signal, turn your wheel sharply to the left, move a couple of feet, then turn sharply to the right. Notice what your turn signal does. Then complete your movement into the left lane. Glad I could teach you something about cars today.
The Wonderer
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

I'm sure you don't cruise in the left lane.

Just like you always use your blinkers.

I typically don't and I'm anal retentive about using my blinkers because it was burned into my brain by my dad to always use them growing up.
The Wonderer
AG
94chem said:

The wonderer, try this at home. Put on your left signal, turn your wheel sharply to the left, move a couple of feet, then turn sharply to the right. Notice what your turn signal does. Then complete your movement into the left lane. Glad I could teach you something about cars today.

That why I used the term "if this is true" because I didn't know the facts of the situation. If that is the case, then you properly indicated your movement. The law does not state that the indicator must be on the entirety of the maneuver.
swimmerbabe11
The Wonderer said:

Aggiemike96 said:

This pisses me off. If a cop wants to go a mile over the speed limit he should have to have his damn lights on.
swimmerbabe11

Waffledynamics said:

When they literally stand in the U-turn under an overpass.

The first time this happened to me I legitimately started asking if the police officer was okay and if I could assist him. I thought something was wrong and he was trying to flag down help. It never occurred to me that he was just using the lane as a siphon.I was real mad when I figured it out.
rhoswen
AG
On 146 the cops like to do this thing where they travel in the right lane doing 5-10 below, and no one in the left lane will pass them. It's absolutely infuriating and I wish those damn cops would pull those people over for not passing anyone in the left lane. I wish they'd do that all over the city.
aggiebq03+
HumbleAg said:

In the Eastbound lanes of BW 8 North between the toll plaza and 45 it is pretty common to see 5-6 LEO's running radar during the afternoon drive. I bet they catch a lot of folks that go past the 1st or 2nd car thinking they're good and speed up only to get ticketed by the next officer.

Based on who I've seen them pull over and the speed I see people driving that they don't stop, I'm pretty sure they are giving tickets for going through the EZTag lane without an EZTag.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I was surprised to see 2 county officers working 610 South on Saturday morning. They were writing tickets left and right.
schmellba99
AG

Waffledynamics said:

Screw that noise. If somebody is speeding and driving recklessly, I can see it. But just cruising along and getting popped for going over the speed limit is BS. Especially when there are dongs out there that drive slow in the left lane, spend more time talking on their damned phone than actually driving or that pace the person next to them and cause a dangerous backup of traffic because they DGAS about the world around them that deserve not just tickets, but to be beaten Rodney King style.
sts7049
AG
hey if cyclists have to follow all the laws to a T so should drivers. it's for our safety
The Wonderer
AG
sts7049 said:

hey if cyclists have to follow all the laws to a T so should drivers. it's for our safety
aggiebq03+
sts7049 said:

I'm okay with cyclists who drive 70 on the highway in Houston.
The Wonderer
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

sts7049 said:

I'm okay with cyclists who drive 70 on the highway in Houston.
Hell, I'd be impressed.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Just because you have deep seeded anger issues doesn't mean the cop can't do his job
Liquid Wrench
Lefty Ag '89 said:

On the 610 south loop -- between Post Oak and Fannin.. it's like that EVERY freakin weekday... at least during lunch hour. For the past 2 years I have jumped on 610 during lunch maybe 2-3 times a week and I see someone pulled over EVERY single time, and many times I see it both way (going to lunch and coming back from lunch). It's ridiculous. about 1 year ago I was a victim and got pulled over near Stella Link for going 72 in a 60. ugh! Ever since then I go max 65 and shake my head when people go flying by me.
610 S between Post Oak and 288 is a danger zone. Used to just be 1 or 2 HPD cars at rush hour, but Pct. 7 Constable's office has been swarming it the last year or two. Last Wednesday around 2PM I saw them stopping 2 cars in each direction. I strictly observe the posted speed limit all times there.
agz win
AG
Valentine One > Cops' radar guns
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.