Houston
Sponsored by

Missouri City - Apartment Recommendations

2,105 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SJEAg
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Asking for a friend

Looking on the South/Southwest side of Houston - Missouri City/Sugarland maybe even Pearland. Job will be around Beltway 8 and 59 (now 69, I guess).
Goal - $900/mo for a 1 bdr.

Any advice on where to look or where to avoid would be appreciated. Thx.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Avoid Missouri City
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Alief is nice this time of year.
GTIAG09
AG
Not sure on pricing, but there are a couple of complexes around the hwy 6 and Lexington intersection and one a little further down off Settlers Way. They'd be convenient for your commute and close to Town Square. The best Missouri City options would be complexes in Sienna Plantation and Riverstone.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I'd suggest the complex in Austin parkway and Lexington near Merced Stadium/Fbisd building. If you love curry that is.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for the replies. We knew some folks with Fluor who lived in Missouri City but that's been 30 years ago. I needed an update on the area.

And the Sienna Plantation tip looks pretty good. Cheers for that.
jamesf
AG
It was ten years ago, but my first apartment after college was Camden Sugar Grove near W Airport and Kirkwood. I had no complaints. I have no idea what the rent is now. It would make for a super easy commute.
OnlyForNow
AG
Good luck!!!! Price doesn't seem to be in line with what I remember from a while ago.
coop-aero-06
AG
My wife and I lived in a 1 br apt at The Vinings on Dulles Ave on the south side of 59 for about 18 months back in 2008-2009. Looks like $950 is the cheapest they have now. It was a good place.
Buck O Five
AG
MoCity
HollywoodBQ
AG
Looked at apartments in the area today. Found one we liked near the intersection of Avenue E and Dulles near the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir. Impressive looking Hindu shrine.

The area around the Hindu shrine appears to be unincorporated Fort Bend County. It borders Sugar Land, Stafford and Missouri City. Anybody have any idea why that area is unincorporated?
helloag99
It is probably in some cities ETJ.

You moving to Houston?
jamesf
AG
The unincorporated community is called Fifth Street. It's just one of those weird in-between areas that no one has any motivation to annex. It's in Stafford's ETJ, but it is in Fort Bend ISD. If Stafford were to annex it, I believe they would want the area to be transferred to Stafford MSD, which I am sure that the residents would not be in favor of.

I found an (old) article about it here.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - even the Alief and curry jokers.

I just spent two days looking at about 8-10 different apartment complexes in the Sugar Land, Stafford, Missouri City area. And we even looked at one place in South Houston.

Using some of the advice here, we looked at a place near the Hindu shrine in the unincorporated Fifth Street area.

We looked at a couple places in Sugar Land but mainly a place across from Fluor. That place looked to be at least 20-30 years old but had been remodeled. It was the only complex we looked at that I would consider to be walkable with a gigantic HEB across the street. And it was just a couple stop lights away from the Sugar Land Town Center.

Then we went down to Sienna Plantation and looked at a few places in there. The leasing agent at the first place was an Aggie and told us some good Aggie stories which my daughter enjoyed. The next two places were essentially identical. The Villas and the place across the street not only had the same floorplans but, had the same fixtures and the same prices.

On the way back to College Station, we stopped by The Vinings as recommended on this thread and they had no availability until late August.

Heading north from The Vinings, I figured out that Dulles turns into Kirkwood and I realized that we were back in the vicinity of Camden Sugar Grove (as recommended in this thread) so, we stopped in there. When we walked through the front door, my daughter got super excited because one of her Aggie friends was working as a leasing agent there. The apartment complex wasn't any different than any of the others per se but, the experience of being shown around by a friend was pretty good. One unique feature that complex had was an indoor basketball half-court with a wood floor.

As we headed north and tried to work our way back to Beltway 8, we drove through Alief. Wow. It's amazing what a difference a couple miles can make. I can't decide which part was the highlight of our run through Alief - seeing 4 kids almost get run over as they ran through traffic, or seeing the apartment complex that was partially burned out and had a gaping hole in the building.

Almost forgot to mention the curry. As we were driving around through South Houston, Stafford, Missouri City, etc., we didn't see any grocery stores. Eventually we saw an Indian specialty store or two and eventually we saw a carniceria but, no big grocery store. Finally, in Sugar Land, we saw the gigantic HEB. We had a little food desert discussion and we also saw a number of Indian fast food places. In fact, there were a couple of them that I think I could probably make work in Bangalore. To my disappointment, I didn't see any Goan places. We also saw many ethnic stores in Alief but I told my daughter she'd need to work on getting her concealed carry license before trying out any of the Nigerian places. She didn't really appreciate that comment.

Again, thanks for the help since this was one area of Houston, I was not familiar with.
SJEAg
AG
Have you looked at any of the complexes along Lexington near HI6? It's been a decade since I researched, but I recall The Fairmont getting some of the best reviews in the area at that time. It's certainly the most conveniently located...right near HI6, 59, Mall/Town Center/restaurants. Yet it still looks tucked away and quiet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.