Houston
Sponsored by

Black people are being pushed out of Houston

12,207 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txaggie_08
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw this billboard on 610 S heading east right before 45. Similar to this:

Had a website to http://www.gentrifiedmovie.com/ at the bottom. Looks interesting.

one MEEN Ag
AG
Help me out here, I never understood the issue with gentrification. No one is being forced to leave their neighborhood. This isn't eviction or eminent domain. Their property values are so high people are selling their homes due to the value of their land. East Austin has complete tear downs valued at like 250-300k just for the land. How is it that rightful homeowners being highly compensated is now a bad thing?

Vernada
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Help me out here, I never understood the issue with gentrification. No one is being forced to leave their neighborhood. This isn't eviction or eminent domain. Their property values are so high people are selling their homes due to the value of their land. East Austin has complete tear downs valued at like 250-300k just for the land. How is it that rightful homeowners being highly compensated is now a bad thing?

I don't really know the arguments here and don't have a dog in the fight but I'm guessing some would argue that there are people who don't want to move but can no longer afford their taxes?
CDUB98
AG
nm
Ag_07
AG
Vernada said:

one MEEN Ag said:

I don't really know the arguments here and don't have a dog in the fight but I'm guessing some would argue that there are people who don't want to move but can no longer afford their taxes?

This.

The thought is that poor people can't afford their taxes and have to sell, but at the same time they can't just buy a house in the same neighborhood because they can't afford it.

They only place they can afford to live is further out.
Betoisafurry
JJxvi
AG
So this was a shock ad for a documentary, right?
Texaggie7nine
Poor gays made the same argument about Montrose.
7nine
drumboy
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Not everyone owns their home. Renters get their rent raised or evicted when the property sells.
cone
AG
bet the rich gays dgaf
MouthBQ98
AG
Market forces. Sell, and move out into a nice place in the burbs.
The Milkman
AG
Where are the black people going?
cone
AG
Pearland?
drumboy
AG
Cypress
Serotonin
AG
The Milkman said:

Where are the black people going?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/08/us/census-race-map.html?_r=0
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Then who keeps voting Sheila Jackson Lee?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Then who keeps voting Sheila Jackson Lee?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
There are plenty of poor people still holding on in the heights. Just have to have a resident over 65 to keep the taxes static.
JJxvi
AG
SJL's district will just keep changing boundaries to match the demographics because you cant redraw lines in a way that eliminates a minority district.
schmellba99
AG
Vernada said:

one MEEN Ag said:

How, exactly, does this affliction only affect ot happen to black people? Are whites and hispanics and Asians immune from this phenomenon somehow?

Is this in a similar vein that only black people have issues getting a state ID, and therefore any requirement to prove you are the person you say you are and prove you have the right to vote at the polling place you are at is somehow racist?

MaterialAg
AG
'Tine culture is under attack, folks!
JJxvi
AG
If a poor white person is replaced by a rich white person, then the neighborhood hasn't changed, I'm sure is the rationale.
RVAg02
AG
JJxvi said:

SJL's district will just keep changing boundaries to match the demographics because you cant redraw lines in a way that eliminates a minority district.

They draw that district to include as many SJL voters in one district as they can.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Vernada said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Have you contacted the law of supply and demand to lodge your complaint?
JJxvi
AG
RVAg02 said:

JJxvi said:

They draw that district to include as many SJL voters in one district as they can.
Yes, but it can also never go away.
Tom Hagen
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Most of the lolpoors living in houses are renting. The rent goes up from $500 to $2000, and they have to move.
Jack Cheese
AG
Vernada said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Help me out here, I never understood the issue with gentrification. No one is being forced to leave their neighborhood. This isn't eviction or eminent domain. Their property values are so high people are selling their homes due to th7e value of their land. East Austin has complete tear downs valued at like 250-300k just for the land. How is it that rightful homeowners being highly compensated is now a bad thing?

Plus, even if you sell and make a good profit, you have to buy something else. Where do you go where prices aren't just as high, or nearly as high? That's why a house isn't really an investment. Unless you move to a drastically different market (like from CA to TX) or you drastically downsize, no financial gain is realized.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I had a pastor in the Bronx explain the feelings towards gentrification to my with what I thought was a very good analogy. He said to those being displaced rising property values it is a lot like the way a lot of people feel in small towns feel when Walmart comes in and sets up shop, driving mom and pops out of business with prices they just can't compete with. Sure, nothing technically wrong has been done, but for those being forced out basically you are being forced out of your home by forces that you just can't hope to fight. Coming from a place where walmart coming to a small town was a much more familiar thing than gentrification, without taking a stand one way or the other this made a lot of sense to me to at least be able to empathize.
randy828
AG
schmellba99 said:

Vernada said:

one MEEN Ag said:

How, exactly, does this affliction only affect ot happen to black people? Are whites and hispanics and Asians immune from this phenomenon somehow?

Is this in a similar vein that only black people have issues getting a state ID, and therefore any requirement to prove you are the person you say you are and prove you have the right to vote at the polling place you are at is somehow racist?

Actually, there was a news story not long ago about the hispanics on the east side of downtown complaining about the same thing. Values are going up and they are getting forced out.
Engine10
AG
No apologies made for not wanting our city to look like a ****hole everywhere you drive. Time marches on.
schmendeler
AG
sounds like property taxes are the problem, not neighborhoods getting nicer.
88jrt06
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

I saw this billboard on 610 S heading east right before 45. Similar to this:

Had a website to http://www.gentrifiedmovie.com/ at the bottom. Looks interesting.

This has only been an issue nationwide for a hundred, hundred-fifty years....and it's not a conspiracy, and it's not tied to any race, ethnicity or religion. In Houston, there was a PBS special about Jews (who couldn't live in River Oaks) bemoaning the loss of "their" neighborhood about 50-60 years ago. That neighborhood was Sunnyside, I believe, which would now be called I suppose, an "endangered" "traditional African-American" neighborhood about to be gentrified (by, of course, the white devil). Around and round we go....
CDUB98
AG
schmendeler said:

Damn skippy they are.

I'm not an advocate for a state income tax at all, but damn, appraisal districts across the state are absolutely abusing the citizens to squeeze every dime out them.

Property taxes at our current place were manageable when we purchased, but thanks to HCAD, they have actually become a burden on us. If it keep ups, we'll have to do some serious thinking about staying. Can't say I want to move either.

Rising market values are one thing, but the abuse by HCAD is a whole other level.
cone
AG
Quote:

define nicer
Bondag
AG
It isn't just the blacks that are affected by this.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.